Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

Borland is really good. I also like Shayne Skov out of Stanford. Very aggressive, fiery and has a nose for the ball.

Skov is a very good player--just not the style I'm looking for as he's very similar to Kiko.

I'd like a bigger run-stuffing LB as a compliment to Kiko...we could do far worse than Skov as a LB prospect though...

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this will solidify us taking Mosley is hes there. Makes the most sense imo.

Btw, borland is awesome. My friend is a big wisconsin fan and i saw most of his games. Only thing keeping him from going in 1st will be his height

Edited by bobobonators

Although i have a slight reservation over the fact that his lions were completely undisciplined, i acknowledge hes had success in the NFL. Hes young and hes got fire. Overall, im happy.

My initial reaction also. I feel this was a good pickup, I was concerned by Pettines departure. Only concern I have is how much will he tweak this defense from last year? If he goes 4-3 will that turn this upcoming season into another "transition"?

I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic about this move. Everyone loves Pettine, and hated his predecessors Wannstedt and Edwards, but I think its fair to say that Pettine had more to work with last season (Alonso, Lawson, Hughes, Robey, etc). The results certainly showed a big improvement, but its not like this defense was lights out. There's still room to get better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that its more about the talent on the field than the coaches and the Bills certainly do have enough to be a really good defense again next season.

Edited by QB Bills

You asked who that was available better. Wade has been far more successful in the NFL than Schwartz. I have no idea what or who you're referring to as "leftovers".

I think when you look at what schwarz did as a d coordinator, youd be hard pressed to say that wade is "far" better. Hes just been doing it longer, no doubt.

I think it's funny how much credit he gets for the TN defense. Being a DC under a defensive HC is usually a completely different role from being DC under an offensive HC. If anyone thinks Jeff Fisher brought him in and just said "do your thing" I've got some lucrative real estate deals I'd like to discuss with you. It's encouraging that he's worked with successful defenses in the past, it's also discouraging that his defenses in Det (and often in TN also) were mediocre. My opinion is that his defenses on average have been middle of the pack and I assume he's a middle of the pack DC, which is better than what we've had for a while prior to Pettine, so I'm not devastated by the news, but for those ecstatic about it, you either know something you're not sharing or you're drinking kool aid. FTR, there's nothing wrong with Kool-aid, it's tasty and refreshing in the summer as well as during a typical Bills off-season. I'm usually a heavy drinker of the stuff.

What were your thoughts with Pettine coming here from the Jets? Looks like he deserved a lot of credit for the D under Ryan.

My initial reaction also. I feel this was a good pickup, I was concerned by Pettines departure. Only concern I have is how much will he tweak this defense from last year? If he goes 4-3 will that turn this upcoming season into another "transition"?

I dont think the "transition" will be that big a deal. Pettine played mulitple fronts last season and the d has pretty much every piece in place to play a "4-3". BUT we def need a MLB either through fa or draft.

I think when you look at what schwarz did as a d coordinator, youd be hard pressed to say that wade is "far" better. Hes just been doing it longer, no doubt.

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but if you look at defensive stats across the board for the last 10 years w/o cherry picking there's really no comparison. Wade's defenses have been much better on average, far more consistent, and he's done it with multiple teams. I posted links for both on p. 9 or 10 of this thread.

So what was it when lawson was in the game and hughes was standing up as a linebacker across from him with moats/bradham and kiko in the middle. With a line of dareus and williams at end and branch as the NT

I don't know where this argument started, but this is a thread about the Bills hiring a DC and QB coach. You and the other 3-4 people involved in this conversation take it offline.

Im 100% convinced most of you didnt watch any bills football and just watch highlights. I could list a ton but ill give you an example that you would have seen on the high lights. The long td pass against the saints where hughes gave chase

I would guess he did not rush the passer on 5% of his snaps. There were a lot of plays where the Bills played a 4-1-6 as well. We very, very, very infrequently had a DT on the nose, two De wide and four LBs. We played a 4 man front where they rushed all four virtually every play. Unless you count the infrequent zone blitzes when Mario or Dareus dropped back.

Part of the issue is that some 3/4 defenses were 4/3 most of the time anyway, especially since the league has become a passing league. Very, very infrequently did we play with two ILB for example. Pettine played a hybrid defense and moved guys all over the line, but IMO 95% of the plays at the snap there were four guys on the LOS all of whom rushed the passer hard, and 1-3 LBs.

How many Pats coordinators have done the same. I'm not saying the guy sucks, but if your best argument for him is that the Detroit f'n Lions, the only team to ever go 0-16, who just hired Jim Caldwell of all people to be their HC, decided to put him in charge, then you don't have much of an argument at all.

I'm not arguing anything about whether he should have been hired as a HC, but he was. Not arguing whether any of the Pats DCs should have been, but they were. They all needed to have been very good at being coordinators to be considered for that role.

What were your thoughts with Pettine coming here from the Jets? Looks like he deserved a lot of credit for the D under Ryan.

But when he emerged from Ryan's shadow last year he produced. Granted it was only 1 season, but it's hard to discount the stark contrast from the previous year and the careers he resurrected.

To me it's a good hire based on two things.

(1) His past experience and stats as a DC

(2) He is an upgrade over George Edwards and Wanny.

I'm excited to see how he changes the run defense around. As a DC, he's had a top 5 run D which I'm VERY excited about. I can't remember the last time the Bills had a top 5 run defense.

Dude, *I* am an upgrade over George Edwards and Wanny...

One issue about mechanics of a QB that rarely gets separated. EJ for example, already has pretty great mechanics. When he uses them he throws a beautiful ball and he looks good doing. His delivery is fine if not very good. His problem is that he doesn't always use them. He loses his mechanics far two often when the heat starts to come, and sometimes for no reason whatsoever when there really isn't any rush.

Stafford on the other hand, has a tremendous arm, and just likes to wing it everywhere. I haven't played close attention to him to know for sure but he rarely seems to drop back, set and throw with good mechanics. Even when he throws a gorgeous ball. He's just got a rocket arm.

The point is when some fans say a guy has crappy mechanics it could mean one of two things, but they rarely break it down into those two categories. Fitzy always had crappy mechanics, mostly because his arm was only adequate. He had to wind up and throw it like a baseball. EJ has great mechanics. The QB coach has to help him not lose those mechanics in the middle of the play. That is no easy chore. Some QB coaches can help. Some players cannot be helped. Sometimes it's really just a matter of experience and not panicking as much because you're more used to it. That's what I'm hoping for from EJ.

Thankfully, plenty of people disagree with your assessment. Also, stats don't lie. Schwartz maintained a pretty solid defense in Tennessee. With regard to negative player relationships...do you have any links/proof to support this, or is this just your opinion?

On a certain level they're all just opinion until things play out...

If you were here in Nash you'd know about things like Frank Wycheck (who is a radio personality here now) saying that he heard on good authority that Schwartz was going to be fired if we wasn't hired as HC in Detroit. FIsher was done and frustrated with JS.

As for stats not lying...I give you:

"Statistics are for losers" - Marv Levy

Marv also used to paraphrase a Mark Twain/Benjamin Disraeli attributed quote: "There are three kinds of lies - lies, damn lies and statistics."

Edited by cale

Think about it, Crossman was Schwartz' special teams coach in Detroit, then left to be with Marrone in Buffalo. I am sure he has kept in contact with him, then when Schwartz lost his job and the openning happened in Buffalo, phones were ringing...

that make sense, because Crossman must have some kind of very special relationship with Marrone . . . how can we explain him still be here???

that make sense, because Crossman must have some kind of very special relationship with Marrone . . . how can we explain him still be here???

The best scenario we can hope for here is that Schwartz in a furious rage after another special teams folly knocks Crossman out and we end up with a new special teams coach...

The best scenario we can hope for here is that Schwartz in a furious rage after another special teams folly knocks Crossman out and we end up with a new special teams coach...

It would seem unlikely as Schwartz was also very slow to deal with Crossman when they worked together.

Schwartz had one of the worst special teams unit in the history of the sport with Crossman as his special teams coordinator and he didn't think much of the issue had to do with Crossman (like Marrone).

Point being, that won't happen.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever