Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

He has no say in it if the Bills franchise him

And he can have plantar fasciitis and not play. If Pettine stayed we'd have given Byrd more reason to stay, showing some stability and success. The defense is just as turbulent as it was in 2010.

A deal is less likely. We could franchise him, but I doubt we do.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that teams couldn't deny their coaches a promotion. That means they technically can't tell O'Neil he can't take the job because he would be promoted from LB's coach to Defensive Coordinator. The only time you can deny someone is for a like promotion(DC to DC, HC to HC) which leads to draft pick compensation.

I was under the impression that teams couldn't deny their coaches a promotion. That means they technically can't tell O'Neil he can't take the job because he would be promoted from LB's coach to Defensive Coordinator. The only time you can deny someone is for a like promotion(DC to DC, HC to HC) which leads to draft pick compensation.

Nope, only one you cant block is a chance to be HC. Any other spot, it's up to the team with the contract.

The penalties arent an issue if we can stop the run. I want a defense that plays on the edge and sometimes gets penalties.

It's the undisciplined 15 yarders that have been the issue with the Bills this year. A problem area with Schwartz defensive and head coached teams. Schwartz defensive unit in Detroit I found took penalties at the worst times.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Lets not pretend that the defensive coordinator doesn't play a large role in fielding a prepared, disciplined and clean defensive squad... Something Schwartz was troubled with in Detroit.

He wasn't the Defensive Coordinator. However, as a Head Coach, he definitely plays a role in that. With that said, he was also dealing with several personalities that most coaches would have problems controlling. As a defensive coordinator in Tenn, he ran a pretty disciplined, hard hitting, fundamentally sound defense. So, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

Wrong, they can block a promotion if the assistant is under contract UNLESS that promotion is to become a head coach. In this case O'neil is looking to become a DC so the bills have the right to block it.

Apparently Green Bay blocked AVP from becoming browns offensive coordinator too

top 5 ranked run defense from 01-05. Top 5 ranked D in 07 along with top 5 run D as well.

Not much to sleep on

I can't believe people are glossing over this. I am a huge fan of hiring ex hc for coordinator positions. Add in the fact that his record of success as a do is so convincing I don't know why people aren't happier.

It could easily be argues that his track record is better than pettines as a dc. The bills had a plan in place and executed it quickly. They also hired a guy with a successful background instead of taking a chance on an inexperienced guy like they have so many times before.

I'm very happy this is the guy they got and don't understand how anyone is upset by this move.

It's the 15 yarders that have been the issue with the Bills this year. A problem area with Schwartz defensive and head coached teams.

Again, I'll take the 15 yarders and personal fouls that come with a nasty Defense which gets the job done.

Who is the most penalized team in the NFL for the 2013 season? Seattle, with its nasty defense.

Edited by DrDareustein

And he can have plantar fasciitis and not play. If Pettine stayed we'd have given Byrd more reason to stay, showing some stability and success. The defense is just as turbulent as it was in 2010.

A deal is less likely. We could franchise him, but I doubt we do.

Pettine is gone and it had absolutely nothing to do with the Bills. You're mad at the team for something out of their control. Pettine leaving was his choice not theirs.

Pettine is gone and it had absolutely nothing to do with the Bills. You're mad at the team for something out of their control. Pettine leaving was his choice not theirs.

Meant if we kept the same schemes with an in-house promotion. Wrote the wrong thing.