Who do you want to be the next DC?

Who do you want for the next Bills DC?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want for the next Bills DC?

• Jim O'Neil (Bills OLB coach)
    • Donnie Henderson (Bills DB coach)
    • Asst from another NFL team (name him, please)
    • College DC or HC (name him, please)
    • Wade Phillips
    • Mike Singletary
    • Steve Spagnuolo
    • Jim Schwartz
    • Kirby Smart
    • Pepper Johnson

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted O'Neill, but I bet he follows Pettine. If we scrap the system that was in place, I'd vote Wade, although I can't see him coming here again.

He can only follow Pettine if the Bills give him permission. If they go in-house I would take O’Neil. Wouldn’t mind Henderson either, but O’Neil has been around that scheme longer. If they go w/a proven guy outside the organization I say Wade Phillips. If they go outside the box totally I say John Chavis or Kirby Smart.

Edited by purple haze

spags was hired by the Saints as their new DC in 2012, and let go the next year.

Since HC Sean Payton was suspended for the year, good ole spags was left to his own devices. As a result the Saints then allowed the most yards of any defense in the entire history of the NFL. This was the first time in four years the NO Saints missed the playoffs

ummm, no thanks :thumbdown:

I didnt know all this but for some reason I feel like he will be interviewed now.

Edited by Agent 91

Bringing back Wade won't break the Flutie curse. Hiring Flutie as the QB coach might.

It's looking like a full defensive overhaul. The Browns are already asking to interview O'Neil.

http://blogs.buffalo...eet-with-oneil/

The Bills can be generous, or they can be competitive here. If I were Whaley, I would say they have to wait until we hire our DC.

I think it will be Henderson as I've said before. The Bills said they had a plan and they would execute if needed - that sounds to me like promotion talk rather than outside hire talk...

I'm not as high on Wade as some of you but he is by far the best qualified candidate out there... do the two Dougs have the freedom from on high to at least make the phone call and speak to him? I'm not sure they do sadly.

sorry i haven't followed this thread so maybe this was discussed....but i will ask anyway...

all else aside, do we even have the personnel to run Wade's defense?

if not, i can't fathom blowing up the roster again to accomodate him. if we do....? well that might be fun.

anyway, are the players there for it? anyone?

Where are our journalists on this one? Not saying the Bills will tip their hat, but anyone with inside knowledge?

Also, if we keep it close to the vest, then just end up promoting Henderson... will the journalists ask any questions, bring up stats (like Wade Phillips' ridiculously good top 10 D history, or Donnie Henderson's ridiculously sparse and underwhelming D history?), or challenge these guys?

If we go with a lame crony-type hire, I'm really going to be deflated after this. With our defensive personnel, losing Pettine, and replacing him with a guy like Henderson will pretty much be all but giving up in my opinion.