DC candidates

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Pettine leaves, I guarantee that Henderson gets the job. He's very popular with the players and they won't have to change the playbook.

No doubt in my mind Henderson is our new defensive coordinator.

I agree with this. They'll promote within for DC but look outside for a new LB's or DB's coach.

Henderson is not necessarily going to maintain the same scheme as Pettine. He came over with Marrone from Syracuse, not with Pettine from the Jets and Ravens (although he was a Jet pre-Ryan, and a Ravens assistant in the distant past.) He's 8 years away from his last DC jobs, where he was not successful.

I'd take a long look at Wade. Jim Schwartz is available, and despite Detroit's struggles, he ran some solid defenses under Fisher in Tennessee. Steve Spagnuolo had some moments in New York (though tanked as a HC and had a very bad year in New Orleans).

I know that Pettine is being discussed in other places but thought that it would be prudent to start a thread on the candidates to replace him if he indeed goes. Schefter & Mort are both saying that he is the favorite.

I will throw a few names off the top of my head. Please add anyone that you guys can think of:

-Donnie Henderson

-Perry Fewell

-Gregg Williams (an idiot but he plays that attacking style)

Can Crossman do it?

Greggo Marrone will probably take a 14 year old kid that can "obviously handle everything but can't do it all" like he did at OC.

Not sure what age has to do with it... Adam Gase is younger than Hackett but happened to have Peyton Manning instead of 2 rookies and a PS QB who started games this year. I love how people just have to make fun of the way Marrone talks as if it has any bearing on what he can do as a coach, at all. It is funny on a message board, I get it... but don't really see comparisons to Gregggg with Marrone.

Didn't Wade make Mario move to OLB in the one season he played in that defense. I thought Mario did not like that. Phillips requires a big wide bodied Nose Tackle to make his defense successful. We do not have a Mt.Washington on this roster.

Mario played a ton of olb this past season and wades NT in dallas was jay ratliff who is basically kyle williams.

Fewell did win a SB with the Giants running that defense a couple of years ago.

I believe the Coordinators and Position coaches are considered at the same level. A position coach moving to a Coordinator role on another team is considered a lateral move.

Position coaches can leave to become a coordinator it is a promotion

I think Jim Schwartz is a likely candidate. Runs a defense closer to a 4-3 than Wade who is 3-4 all the way.

We run more of a 3-4 than a 4-3 so why would we flip flop for the 4th time in 5 years. We also have been drafting for a 3-4. We have the perfect personell to run a wade phillips defense.http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/1/4/1913068/thats-so-crazy-it-just-might-work-examining-wade-phillips-3-4-scheme

Edited by kr632