Per Whaley: Nix still plays a role in player personnel decisions

He’s listed as a Special Assistant for the Bills, and was to help the organization in a variety of football-related roles. One of those roles includes scouting the talent at the Senior Bowl in Mobile this week.

In an appearance on the John Murphy Show, Bills GM Doug Whaley said he likes being able to lean on his predecessor as a sounding board and talent evaluator.

“He’s a great resource for me and I would be remiss if I didn’t use him,” said Whaley. “Any major decision or free agent we think about bringing in and ask him what he thinks. After this BLESTO meeting we’ll give him a list of the top rated guys and have him look at those guys. We’ll give him some of the free agents that we’ve pegged as interesting. So he’s a resource and with that wealth of knowledge I’d be remiss if I didn’t pick his brain and use him to our fullest advantage.”

What do people think about this?

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/01/22/nix-still-playing-role-for-bills/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He’s listed as a Special Assistant for the Bills, and was to help the organization in a variety of football-related roles. One of those roles includes scouting the talent at the Senior Bowl in Mobile this week.

In an appearance on the John Murphy Show, Bills GM Doug Whaley said he likes being able to lean on his predecessor as a sounding board and talent evaluator.

“He’s a great resource for me and I would be remiss if I didn’t use him,” said Whaley. “Any major decision or free agent we think about bringing in and ask him what he thinks. After this BLESTO meeting we’ll give him a list of the top rated guys and have him look at those guys. We’ll give him some of the free agents that we’ve pegged as interesting. So he’s a resource and with that wealth of knowledge I’d be remiss if I didn’t pick his brain and use him to our fullest advantage.”

http://blogs.buffalo...role-for-bills/

I think if he weighs the information Buddy is giving him and balances it with info from other people he trusts, that there really can't be anything wrong with that, as long as Whaley is making the final decisions.

http://blogs.buffalo...role-for-bills/

It's a sign of both Whaley's intelligence and security. Despite what the flamers have to say around here, Buddy Nix is a good football man.

GO BILLS!!!

I think if he weighs the information Buddy is giving him and balances it with info from other people he trusts, that there really can't be anything wrong with that, as long as Whaley is making the final decisions.

yup. buddy hasnt been a terrible at identifying talent. its a good sounding board/resource.

ill also say it shouldnt be a surprise, as if i recall correctly that was always the plan.

It's a sign of both Whaley's intelligence and security. Despite what the flamers have to say around here, Buddy Nix is a good football man.

GO BILLS!!!

Most of the criticism of Buddy is for his job as the GM, not as the head scout. He's back to his natural role, and that's a good thing.

It's nice for the Bills to keep the guy around. But to say he is an "outstanding talent evaluator" is an incredible statement to make, given the evidence to the contrary.

His first draft was a disaster--and that's after he had been employed as a top scout for the Bills. On a team with so many need, he has had few really solid regular starters drafted (I'm including Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, and maybe Aaron Williams). The rest are injury fill ins, which is important too I guess, but it's the bulk of his drafts. Also, he steadfastly refused to address the QB position. This was confounded by the horrible decision, when we desperately needed someone to at least bring along behind Fitz, to deem Wilson (he must have never scouted WIlson at all) not even worth a 3rd round pick--yet traded up 2 spots to snatch a project at...WR. Who the F drafts a project at WR in the 3rd round? And then there was the Troup pick when the 3-4 defense didn't yet exist in Buffalo. Just a poorly thought out plan.

Thow in his complicity in hiring George Edwards to run the 3-4 when he had never done so--and his complicity in bringing in Wanny after that predictable failure.

He seems like a nice guy, but his myth out reaches his accomplishments.

It's nice for the Bills to keep the guy around. But to say he is an "outstanding talent evaluator" is an incredible statement to make, given the evidence to the contrary.

His first draft was a disaster--and that's after he had been employed as a top scout for the Bills. On a team with so many need, he has had few really solid regular starters drafted (I'm including Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, and maybe Aaron Williams). The rest are injury fill ins, which is important too I guess, but it's the bulk of his drafts. Also, he steadfastly refused to address the QB position. This was confounded by the horrible decision, when we desperately needed someone to at least bring along behind Fitz, to deem Wilson (he must have never scouted WIlson at all) not even worth a 3rd round pick--yet traded up 2 spots to snatch a project at...WR. Who the F drafts a project at WR in the 3rd round? And then there was the Troup pick when the 3-4 defense didn't yet exist in Buffalo. Just a poorly thought out plan.

Thow in his complicity in hiring George Edwards to run the 3-4 when he had never done so--and his complicity in bringing in Wanny after that predictable failure.

He seems like a nice guy, but his myth out reaches his accomplishments.

First let's address your issue with his Drafts. The first Draft, in 2010, we need to put something in perspective. Nix inherited the scouting department and by the time he came on board as the GM, I know he was with the BILLS already, he was dependent on a group of men he fired following that same Draft, except one. So most of the information compiled for that Draft was done by men (and women?) he didn't trust enough to keep beyond THAT Draft and he did that because he had no choice.

2011 was HIS first Draft for the BILLS: Dareus, A. Williams, Sheppard (which of course turns into Hughes), and Justin Rogers in the 7th round as regular to good contributors. And Dareus had an off year last year, but as info has come out - he did not deal with the family tragedy well and it sidetracked him. Also, he drafted Hairston, who if and that's a big IF he can stay healthy seems like he can be a solid contributor on the Offensive line. The other picks, not so good. And don't forget about Searcy who is coming along very nicely and had a strong year in 2013. In 2012 he drafted Gilmore and Glenn which again have proven to be effective overall to maybe even really good at times. Bradham and Brooks are also good contributors on STs and Defense. Yes TJ Graham was a mistake, but show me a GM that doesn't make any mistakes, and I'll show you an illusion. Dont' forget he also orchestrated getting Super Mario here when no FA wanted to come to B-LO, then bringing in Branch and Lawson proved to be important for this year. So, the Drafts have been relatively "decent" although not outstanding.

As for getting a QB: what good would it do if Buddy Drafted a blue chip QB and Gailey refused to play him? Gailey was all over Fitz being his guy and no one was going to change that. Tannenbaum tried that in NY when he brought in Tebow and Rex said, "Sit the pine. Mark's my guy". And the fans here would be saying, "Well, Gailey knows best. If he's not playing, Fitz must be better. So what does that say about Buddy drafting a QB??!!" and then crucify Buddy for drafting a QB in the 1st round the BILLS don't play...as for George Edwards, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Coach get to decide who is on his staff?? The HC says, I want this guy and so the GM and money men make him an offer...that's it. Gailey decided on Edwards and then Wanny, not Nix. Put the blame where it belongs.

Oh, and to go back to the Draft for a second, I remember many on this board and in the media that called the Glenn pick a "steal of the Draft" since many were projecting to go to the BILLS....in the 1st Round! But Nix waited...and got a value pick in the 2nd. He may not be the best public speaker, but the man knows his talent in football. Coaches, he tried to give Gailey some time and I think Nix wanted a proven guy who could bring stability. Gailey lies at Nix's feet...but what Gailey did with the talent Nix acquired, is all on Gailey's shoulders.

I'm assuming you guys are discussing this because of the Gaughan article in the paper today. While discussing Nix's role is definately interesting ('mI ok with it), I think the discussion on Overdorf is wayyyy more interesting.

Do you guys think this is a problem or is everyone ok with it? I'm inclined to believe Whaley that the three work as a team, but what's he supposed to say if he isn't ok with it? I'd imagine there's quite a few GMs out there that want all the control over football operations, and don't want a penny-pincher going over their head.

Some cap chiefs report to the GM. Overdorf reports to team president Russ Brandon. Whaley said he is completely comfortable with the chain of command because the three of them work so closely together.

“Absolutely, because we have one singular focus, to win,” Whaley said. “No one has a hidden agenda in that building.”

Bills GM begins first full offseason as the man

Edited by TheLynchTrain

Buddy Nix is deservedly back in his comfort zone scouting talent. He was in over his head as a GM. People seem to forget he was a bill's scout from 93 thru 2000, and with the chargers from 2000 thru 08 before rejoining th bill's.

Buddy Nix is deservedly back in his comfort zone scouting talent. He was in over his head as a GM. People seem to forget he was a bill's scout from 93 thru 2000, and with the chargers from 2000 thru 08 before rejoining th bill's.

First let's address your issue with his Drafts. The first Draft, in 2010, we need to put something in perspective. Nix inherited the scouting department and by the time he came on board as the GM, I know he was with the BILLS already, he was dependent on a group of men he fired following that same Draft, except one. So most of the information compiled for that Draft was done by men (and women?) he didn't trust enough to keep beyond THAT Draft and he did that because he had no choice.

2011 was HIS first Draft for the BILLS: Dareus, A. Williams, Sheppard (which of course turns into Hughes), and Justin Rogers in the 7th round as regular to good contributors. And Dareus had an off year last year, but as info has come out - he did not deal with the family tragedy well and it sidetracked him. Also, he drafted Hairston, who if and that's a big IF he can stay healthy seems like he can be a solid contributor on the Offensive line. The other picks, not so good. And don't forget about Searcy who is coming along very nicely and had a strong year in 2013. In 2012 he drafted Gilmore and Glenn which again have proven to be effective overall to maybe even really good at times. Bradham and Brooks are also good contributors on STs and Defense. Yes TJ Graham was a mistake, but show me a GM that doesn't make any mistakes, and I'll show you an illusion. Dont' forget he also orchestrated getting Super Mario here when no FA wanted to come to B-LO, then bringing in Branch and Lawson proved to be important for this year. So, the Drafts have been relatively "decent" although not outstanding.

As for getting a QB: what good would it do if Buddy Drafted a blue chip QB and Gailey refused to play him? Gailey was all over Fitz being his guy and no one was going to change that. Tannenbaum tried that in NY when he brought in Tebow and Rex said, "Sit the pine. Mark's my guy". And the fans here would be saying, "Well, Gailey knows best. If he's not playing, Fitz must be better. So what does that say about Buddy drafting a QB??!!" and then crucify Buddy for drafting a QB in the 1st round the BILLS don't play...as for George Edwards, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Coach get to decide who is on his staff?? The HC says, I want this guy and so the GM and money men make him an offer...that's it. Gailey decided on Edwards and then Wanny, not Nix. Put the blame where it belongs.

Oh, and to go back to the Draft for a second, I remember many on this board and in the media that called the Glenn pick a "steal of the Draft" since many were projecting to go to the BILLS....in the 1st Round! But Nix waited...and got a value pick in the 2nd. He may not be the best public speaker, but the man knows his talent in football. Coaches, he tried to give Gailey some time and I think Nix wanted a proven guy who could bring stability. Gailey lies at Nix's feet...but what Gailey did with the talent Nix acquired, is all on Gailey's shoulders.

I like your defense of Buddy. I'm a Buddy guy myself. However, I question some of your observations.

1. I'm not ready to label T.J. Graham as a mistake. He's a developing player going into his third year which is a time when many players suddenly emerge.

2, Buddy is a wonderfully entertaining speaker. I miss his southern accent and sense of humor. If only Dougie was as good as Buddy as a speaker.

3. I'm not sure I'd give Buddy credit for Branch and Lawson. Those deals, I think, were made by Whaley last year after Buddy departed.

T.J. Graham over Russell Wilson, that is Buddy's legacy. He ignored the QB position the entire time he was here although it was clearly our biggest need. His failure to be aggressive in addressing the QB position resulted on him reaching on Manuel who right now looks closer to a bust than a Star or even good QB.

The guy was GM for 3 years and after that third season his only QB's were Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyler freaking Thigpen. Let's ignore the fact that he took Aaron Williams over Colin Kaepernick when we needed a QB badly in 2011 because we did need help in a lot of areas and Williams wasn't a bad pick.

In the third round of 2011 with again our only QB's Fitzy and Thigpen, there were Wilson, Foles and Cousins all sitting on the board. One of these guys was the logical pick for the Bills. Just like Ngata was instead of Whitner, or Orakpo instead of Maybin. We had a desperate need at QB it was a great time to pick a good one in a great QB draft. Hell before the pick when the Bills had just traded up, Chris Berman said something along the lines of "It's gotta be Wilson, right?

And only if we had a good GM at this moment in time. A GM who realized that without a QB, you are not winning squat in the NFL, and if Fitzy and Thigpen are all you got, you might want to use a third rounder at this point to get one. And what did Nix do? Like every other Bills GM over the last fourteen !@#$ing years of misery and despair, he got cute and traded up not for a talented QB who might end the longest current playoff draught in the NFL, but a niche WR, who is more of a track athlete than a football player. T.J Grahm, who makes more disastrous plays than he does good ones and who never, ever can catch a pass with any sort of contact and struggles with the easier ones as well.

Buddy had some good picks but had some seriously blunders as well. Either way I can't forgive him for taking Graham when we could of and should of had Wilson. Wilson was the consensus pick at that time and Buddy had a perfect opportunity to end this misery by simply taking a player at a position of great need, when the draft was deep at that position, instead he got cute with it. Now instead of having Wilson in Bills gear competing for Super Bowls, or even Foles playing meaningful games in December, we are staring 15 right in the face, hoping, praying that the light is gonna go on with Manuel because if it doesn't we might be staring 20 in the face in a few years. Buddy can suck my balls.

Edited by Proteus

T.J. Graham over Russell Wilson, that is Buddy's legacy. He ignored the QB position the entire time he was here although it was clearly our biggest need. His failure to be aggressive in addressing the QB position resulted on him reaching on Manuel who right now looks closer to a bust than a Star or even good QB.

The guy was GM for 3 years and after that third season his only QB's were Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyler freaking Thigpen. Let's ignore the fact that he took Aaron Williams over Colin Kaepernick when we needed a QB badly in 2011 because we did need help in a lot of areas and Williams wasn't a bad pick.

In the third round of 2011 with again our only QB's Fitzy and Thigpen, there were Wilson, Foles and Cousins all sitting on the board. One of these guys was the logical pick for the Bills. Just like Ngata was instead of Whitner, or Orakpo instead of Maybin. We had a desperate need at QB it was a great time to pick a good one in a great QB draft. Hell before the pick when the Bills had just traded up, Chris Berman said something along the lines of "It's gotta be Wilson, right?

And only if we had a good GM at this moment in time. A GM who realized that without a QB, you are not winning squat in the NFL, and if Fitzy and Thigpen are all you got, you might want to use a third rounder at this point to get one. And what did Nix do? Like every other Bills GM over the last fourteen !@#$ing years of misery and despair, he got cute and traded up not for a talented QB who might end the longest current playoff draught in the NFL, but a niche WR, who is more of a track athlete than a football player. T.J Grahm, who makes more disastrous plays than he does good ones and who never, ever can catch a pass with any sort of contact and struggles with the easier ones as well.

Buddy had some good picks but had some seriously blunders as well. Either way I can't forgive him for taking Graham when we could of and should of had Wilson. Wilson was the consensus pick at that time and Buddy had a perfect opportunity to end this misery by simply taking a player at a position of great need, when the draft was deep at that position, instead he got cute with it. Now instead of having Wilson in Bills gear competing for Super Bowls, or even Foles playing meaningful games in December, we are staring 15 right in the face, hoping, praying that the light is gonna go on with Manuel because if it doesn't we might be staring 20 in the face in a few years. Buddy can suck my balls.

Haha, your imitation of the deluded posters on here is spot on. High five!

Haha, your imitation of the deluded posters on here is spot on. High five!

I'm guessing you either are not knowledgeable enough to seriously dispute me, or you know I am right. Although your one sentence response, done trying to discredit my opinion without actually having to engage in a debate will probably be enough to convince many of the homers that Nix was awesome!