Richard Sherman post game -- 'nuff said!

cage

I apologize for taking so long to answer this, I am dealing with a sick and grieving wife at hope - that's a tough combo!

Professional sports isn't going through a gradual shift to look at me it has already shifted. There is a celebration where a player points 2 thumbs at his shoulder pads. That is a look at the name on the back celebration. How many wide receivers celebrate every single first down catch they make? What about Kap mocking Cam Newton's td celebration - how many pages did that thread get? Was there even one?

As for Pros are role models I agree to an extent. Every moment can be a teachable one. To some parents this behavior is unacceptable so it is a conversation to be had with your kid. I have zero problem with anything he said. I ask again what is the worst thing he said? That Crabtree is a mediocre receiver? That he is the best cb in the game? What specifically did he say that is so upsetting.

The worst part about that interview is I knew many would get their panties in a bunch. In the age of everyone gets a trophy Sherman might have hurt Crabtree's feelings :rolleyes: . This is a game yes but it is so much more to these players. They many times liken it to a battle or war (their words not mine). It is a true test to them of their manhood. Who is the biggest, baddest, strongest, fastest, etc.. out there. This is their job and there are literally millions of dollars on the line. So he got a little loud and boisterous big deal.

I have only responded a few times but I haven't once mentioned anything about anyone being racist. I don't think that has as much to do with the outcry as the wussification of America. A bunch of people are mad at Richard Sherman because he might have hurt Crabtree's feelings. Why are sports interviews so boring and filled with cliches? Anytime someone dares say anything the media and public jump all over them. Why are Marrone's pressers filled with obviously and you knows? So he can have time to make sure what he says won't be able to be taken the wrong way and blown out of proportion. Remember his "blowup" about the injury report in preseason?

I think you hit it on the head. Some of us used to appreciate Thurman Thomas running into the endzone and just flipping the ball to the ref. Jerry Rice wasn't much of a showboat or "me, me" personality that I recall. Now everything is "look at me" instead of "our team played well together". Just my opinion.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with that. I didn't look at this thread until tonight, and basically I see the usual pattern of a criticism of a black player who borrowed heavily from a ghetto culture, and people mocking the critics as racist. The culture transcends the race in this instance. I'm guessing the same criticism would have been levied on Sherman if he was white and had the same interview with Andrews.

Whoa! Ghetto culture? Whether or not Sherman was a jerk, there was nothing in the interview that was remotely "ghetto." No foul language, zero "ghetto" slang, no gang signs. He spoke standard English, complete sentences and presented coherent thoughts. He was about as "ghetto" as John McEnroe or Jimmy Conners in their heyday when their diatribes were much more frequent and vile than Sherman's.

BTW, there is a lot of talk about Compton around here that assumes it is some trashed out, devastated hell hole. It's not. It is a suburb, with all that implies. It is filled with normal middle class people, lots of well maintained single family homes, and nothing that resembles slums. Yes, there's crime but a lot of that has to do with abutting some real tough neighborhoods in LA. As far as that goes, crime in Compton is at its lowest level in decades. The biggest "criminal enterprise" in Compton in the last few years has been corrupt government. Believe me, in SoCal, that is far from unique.

Whoa! Ghetto culture? Whether or not Sherman was a jerk, there was nothing in the interview that was remotely "ghetto." No foul language, zero "ghetto" slang, no gang signs. He spoke standard English, complete sentences and presented coherent thoughts. He was about as "ghetto" as John McEnroe or Jimmy Conners in their heyday when their diatribes were much more frequent and vile than Sherman's.

BTW, there is a lot of talk about Compton around here that assumes it is some trashed out, devastated hell hole. It's not. It is a suburb, with all that implies. It is filled with normal middle class people, lots of well maintained single family homes, and nothing that resembles slums. Yes, there's crime but a lot of that has to do with abutting some real tough neighborhoods in LA. As far as that goes, crime in Compton is at its lowest level in decades. The biggest "criminal enterprise" in Compton in the last few years has been corrupt government. Believe me, in SoCal, that is far from unique.

People can make whatever excuses they want for Sherman's rant. But to me, the root was that he felt that he was disrespected by Crabtree. You know, he was dissed. And that's what angers most people about his reaction. He elevated self beyond the team in the ultimate team sport. That's what the complaints are about. But if you want to argue where the diss concept came from, we can gladly continue the discussion on PPP.

People can make whatever excuses they want for Sherman's rant. But to me, the root was that he felt that he was disrespected by Crabtree. You know, he was dissed. And that's what angers most people about his reaction. He elevated self beyond the team in the ultimate team sport. That's what the complaints are about. But if you want to argue where the diss concept came from, we can gladly continue the discussion on PPP.

Overall, I think this has been a very civil concern. But given the PPP views of some here, it's not surprising that some are pretty tending like the negative feedback wasn't part racist. Personally, I saw Sherman as a loud and annoying guy who needs to shut up more and just play. Others saw a black guy with dreads being loud and assumed he was a thug. There was nothing thuggish about his actions.

Sure, people do claim racism too easy at times. But it's still very much out there. I've personally seen people who love the Bills drop a n bomb the second a black player screws up. Beyond pathetic and embarassing. And just because you recognize that that racism is a problem that still needs to be address, doesn't make you too PC.

Overall, I think this has been a very civil concern. But given the PPP views of some here, it's not surprising that some are pretty tending like the negative feedback wasn't part racist. Personally, I saw Sherman as a loud and annoying guy who needs to shut up more and just play. Others saw a black guy with dreads being loud and assumed he was a thug. There was nothing thuggish about his actions.

Sure, people do claim racism too easy at times. But it's still very much out there. I've personally seen people who love the Bills drop a n bomb the second a black player screws up. Beyond pathetic and embarassing. And just because you recognize that that racism is a problem that still needs to be address, doesn't make you too PC.

To piggyback this, there are documented instances of idiots going to twitter and blatantly calling Sherman the N word. Others have used the word "thug". I could link them, but you all know they are out there. However, I don't think this is a race issue, upon reflection.

I believe that the outburst was pure emotion and adrenaline and I, for one, am ok with that. People lament the No Fun League continuously, but here we had a guy who had won a battle vs. a much hated opponent he had a history with. The media played up the hatred and rivalry between these two teams all year and all week leading up to the game. The fact that some were put off by the very emotion they were hyping is hypocritical.

I apologize for taking so long to answer this, I am dealing with a sick and grieving wife at hope - that's a tough combo!

Professional sports isn't going through a gradual shift to look at me it has already shifted. There is a celebration where a player points 2 thumbs at his shoulder pads. That is a look at the name on the back celebration. How many wide receivers celebrate every single first down catch they make? What about Kap mocking Cam Newton's td celebration - how many pages did that thread get? Was there even one?

As for Pros are role models I agree to an extent. Every moment can be a teachable one. To some parents this behavior is unacceptable so it is a conversation to be had with your kid. I have zero problem with anything he said. I ask again what is the worst thing he said? That Crabtree is a mediocre receiver? That he is the best cb in the game? What specifically did he say that is so upsetting.

The worst part about that interview is I knew many would get their panties in a bunch. In the age of everyone gets a trophy Sherman might have hurt Crabtree's feelings :rolleyes: . This is a game yes but it is so much more to these players. They many times liken it to a battle or war (their words not mine). It is a true test to them of their manhood. Who is the biggest, baddest, strongest, fastest, etc.. out there. This is their job and there are literally millions of dollars on the line. So he got a little loud and boisterous big deal.

I have only responded a few times but I haven't once mentioned anything about anyone being racist. I don't think that has as much to do with the outcry as the wussification of America. A bunch of people are mad at Richard Sherman because he might have hurt Crabtree's feelings. Why are sports interviews so boring and filled with cliches? Anytime someone dares say anything the media and public jump all over them. Why are Marrone's pressers filled with obviously and you knows? So he can have time to make sure what he says won't be able to be taken the wrong way and blown out of proportion. Remember his "blowup" about the injury report in preseason?

Good post man. Pretty much agree with everything.

Yes, I saw that too...he also padded him on the ass before extending his hand. At that point, Crabtree pushed him away...like "get the !@#$ out of my face"....Sherman is saying that is what prompted his post-game tirade...he was caught up in the emotion, they are competitors, etc etc...I think Sherman should have given Crabtree the same consideration...he just had his the fate of his teams' season knocked from his hands... Sherman actually had about 10 minutes to compose himself for his interview...Crabtree had about 3 seconds. Also, Sherman was all "I am the greatest" after the Saints game, even busted into one his teammates interviews to let everyone know...realizing what he had done, and how boorish he was looking, he reeled himself in and started heaping praise on the teammate who was being interviewed. Not a sin, not a crime, it will happen again, somewhere along the way...not a big deal. I guess what gets me is how many people think this behavior is "awesome"!

+10000!

Overall, I think this has been a very civil concern. But given the PPP views of some here, it's not surprising that some are pretty tending like the negative feedback wasn't part racist.

Since nobody replied, but they did pipe down with "What if (insert white guy) did this?" when I posted about Brian Bosworth, I'll ask here.

Everybody hated Boz, even more than Sherman, and loved it when his azz got ran over by a black guy on MNF. So, why is Sherman a racist reaction - both are loudmouth punks.

Everybody hated Boz, even more than Sherman, and loved it when his azz got ran over by a black guy on MNF. So, why is Sherman a racist reaction - both are loudmouth punks.

most here have been very level headed about their distaste if they dont like shermans antics. the problem is, there are a lot of dumb racist people in the broad internet land beyond our borders and i think some posters are looking too hard at the kooks elsewhere slinging slurs at his twitter, and sometimes forgetting that there are legitimate reasons to be turned off by his actions that have been well articulated on within this community.

Edited by NoSaint

Because people hated Boz because he was overhyped and pushed on everyone through every media outlet. It was a hype machine that lasted months and months. He wasnt yelling into the camera. He was over-hyped, and when he failed on the field, people were happy. The Sherman situation is not the same, in that people are reacting to a 10 second interview clip. And most of those people are seeing Sherman for the first time in that clip, and judging him personally.

As yungmack pointed out:

there was nothing in the interview that was remotely "ghetto." No foul language, zero "ghetto" slang, no gang signs. He spoke standard English, complete sentences and presented coherent thoughts.

Yet, whenever a black athlete is interviewed after a game, and is a bit excited, we see the same stupid response from people: "Is he even speaking English?!?"

I dont think people realize how stupid, ignorant, and uncultured that statement makes them. Coincidentally, as far as my news feed goes, I see it the most out of older white women. It's like they see a loud black guy and their brain immediately goes "AHH! Something different that we arent used to!" and switches off. There is nothing difficult to understand in Sherman's rant, yet people "claim" they couldnt understand him. Because thats what you say when a black guy with a different dialect is talking. Pitiful.

Edited by DrDareustein

most here have been very level headed about their distaste if they dont like shermans antics. the problem is, there are a lot of dumb racist people in the broad internet land beyond our borders and i think some posters are looking too hard at the kooks elsewhere slinging slurs at his twitter, and sometimes forgetting that there are legitimate reasons to be turned off by his actions that have been well articulated on within this community.

Agree. I asked the Harbaugh question, but it was not to suggest anyone here had labeled Sherman with a racist term or called him a thug. It was a broad question to address the oft racist uproar that exploded on the internet after the interview. I am guilty of looking too hard at the "kooks" elsewhere.

Because people hated Boz because he was overhyped and pushed on everyone through every media outlet. It was a hype machine that lasted months and months. He wasnt yelling into the camera. He was over-hyped, and when he failed on the field, people were happy. The Sherman situation is not the same, in that people are reacting to a 10 second interview clip. And most of those people are seeing Sherman for the first time in that clip, and judging him personally.

As yungmack pointed out:

Yet, whenever a black athlete is interviewed after a game, and is a bit excited, we see the same stupid response from people: "Is the speaking English?!?"

I dont think people realize how stupid, ignorant, and uncultured that statement makes them. Coincidentally, as far as my news feed goes, I see it the most out of older white women. It's like they see a loud black guy and their brain immediately goes "AHH! Something different that we arent used to!" and switches off. There is nothing difficult to understand in Sherman's rant, yet people "claim" they couldnt understand him. Because thats what you say when a black guy with a different dialect is talking. Pitiful.

yea, but within our context, many of us didnt like shermans antics for months before. this was just another example.

but ill agree, generally speaking, there are a lot of terribly uneducated comments out there this week... both pro and anti sherman.

yea, but within our context, many of us didnt like shermans antics for months before. this was just another example.

but ill agree, generally speaking, there are a lot of terribly uneducated comments out there this week... both pro and anti sherman.

For sure, we are talking about two complete separate and almost opposite viewpoints. And as you have previously pointed out, it is all of these smaller grey areas coming together with those extremes that makes the conversation difficult.

There is plenty of room for valid criticism of Sherman and his actions, the problem is sifting through the knee-jerk racist reactions that tend to dominate the discussion because of their extremism.

As yungmack pointed out:

Yet, whenever a black athlete is interviewed after a game, and is a bit excited, we see the same stupid response from people: "Is he even speaking English?!?"

Gee, and I thought stereotypes were bad.

Sherman on espn presently. "I know some thugs, I'm far from a thug"

20 ints over last 3 seasons.....leads category by 5 over Tim Jennings w 15, Byrd on list w 12.

Sherman's a beast. Hope he takes one to the house off Peyton manning. Could care less about his interview or perceived lack of class.

Show me the money...he always does.

Gee, and I thought stereotypes were bad.

And then we get stupid comments like this that serve no purpose but to sidetrack the conversation away from the real topic and to arguing about how we are arguing...

What "stereotype" are you referring to? Because I mentioned older white women? Did you not see the qualifiers I put in front of that such as "Coincidentally" and "as far as my news feed goes"?

Whether you care to admit it or not, there is a LARGE part of the criticism that is fueled by a racist reaction. No one is saying it is the ONLY reason, but it is there. You simply cannot deny it. It takes 10 seconds on twitter or facebook to see. And THAT is specifically what I am talking about here.

And then we get stupid comments like this that serve no purpose but to sidetrack the conversation away from the real topic and to arguing about how we are arguing...

What "stereotype" are you referring to? Because I mentioned older white women? Did you not see the qualifiers I put in front of that such as "Coincidentally" and "as far as my news feed goes"?

Whether you care to admit it or not, there is a LARGE part of the criticism that is fueled by a racist reaction. No one is saying it is the ONLY reason, but it is there. You simply cannot deny it. It takes 10 seconds on twitter or facebook to see. And THAT is specifically what I am talking about here.

Calling old white women you've never met ignorant, stupid and uncultured based on one comment they make is ok.

But referring to a black guy on TV, that you've also not met, as a thug based on a handful of comments he made is racist.

Yes, you've really added to the discussion here. Your in depth insight that racism still exists is quite profound. Your average grasp of the obvious is propelling this discussion to new heights.

Edited by Joe Miner

Calling old white women you've never met ignorant, stupid and uncultured based on one comment they make is ok.

But referring to a black guy on TV, that you've also not met, as a thug based on a handful of comments he made is racist.

Yes, you've really added to the discussion here. Your in depth insight that racism still exists is quite profound. Your average grasp of the obvious is propelling this discussion to new heights.

I have met and personally know every person on my facebook feed or else they wouldnt be on my feed. So I know exactly where they are coming from and what they mean.

Thank you for the rest. Im glad I could help.

But keep defending racist behavior and protecting people from being called on it. You have a great platform there that is really helping society.

Edited by DrDareustein

Sherman is a classic egomaniac. He loves to hear himself talk, especially when he's verbally taking down others, and he's generally careful to do it in the highest profile settings he finds himself in. He's also transparently insincere -- just read his MMQB (non)apology and you'll see what I mean.

In sum, he's a clever guy with a minimal sense of ethics/decorum -- the sort of person who instinctively monetizes the verbal abuse he's about to publicly dole out.

I suspect he'll have a career in broadcasting down the road.

You can find kooks of all kind online.

Wrong - people didn't hate Boz because he was overhyped. People hated him because he was a loudmouth bragging dbag of the highest degree. He was NOT failing on the field at that point - when he was at OU. He was playing outstanding.............But, he was HATED...........Sounds familiar.

Edited by bbb

I have met and personally know every person on my facebook feed or else they wouldnt be on my feed. So I know exactly where they are coming from and what they mean.

Thank you for the rest. Im glad I could help.

But keep defending racist behavior and protecting people from being called on it. You have a great platform there that is really helping society.

First it was news feed, now it's FB, nice try.

And perhaps your grasp of the obvious isn't so average if you think anyone in this thread is defending racist behavior.

I'm looking at the discussion in this thread, and no one here is coming across as racist even though that moniker had been alluded to here several times. I don't know your racist friends on Facebook so I don't think I'll defend their actions or comments.

This has gotten blown so far out of proportion it isn't even funny. The guy's a bit of a showboat. Big f'n deal. It's not all that classy, but it's kind of entertaining too. I find the necessity to put every player in a box and expect the same lame tired regergitated bull **** out of them to be more offensive than anything Sherman said.

I'm glad to see that the most pathetic members of our society have found yet another opportunity to cry about racism. I find everyone crying about racism in connection with this story to be more offensive than anything Richard Sherman did. To all the lilly white race crusaders, I'm sure Richard Sherman appreciates your support.

Let me say this about any responses that come across as racist.

I really don't feel Sherman is being held down by anybody here. He is a showboater, and some people don't like that. Regardless, he's in a pretty good position if he doesn't squander it.

But just as Sherman's statement in the moment says something about him, anything anyone says about the matter, with plenty of time to consider their thoughts, is more a reflection of themselves than it is a statement about Sherman.

While watching the game with some friends, the conversation turned to the decline of interest among us with the "product" that is the NFL. A league of classless, ignorant, street punks who can't act mature. You have coaches like Harbaugh that act like complete degenerates and the camera can't get enough. Then this punk gives the most ignorant post game interview I've ever seen and the fact that people think that's ok cements the argument. The league has now a large cohort of fans who act this way and think this is ok. Look back at the hall of famers from other eras.... Would Ronnie Lott act like that? Would Kelly, Smith, or Thomas? The nfl is a reflection of the worst of our culture and society and it's turning many people away. Go to a Bills game. It's evident. I didn't have seasons last year because it's out of control and no longer fun... Sherman's act is repeated every game in every section in upper deck and end zones. Life imitating morons.

And one of the people watching last night with us was a lifelong Hawks fan who thought Sherman was neither funny nor profession and downright embarrassing.

Statements like this prove what Sherman said this week are True.

All he had to do was say "I was excited and got caught up in my emotions. Crabtree talked smack all game and I wanted to have the last word." Everyone would understand and forgive him. But instead he doesn't really apologize and calls everyone racist for finding his unsportsmanlike rant unbecoming.

Edited by benderbender

Sherman said "Helluva game, helluva game" to Crabtree after the game. Looks like a lot of assumptions were wrong just as I assumed.

And if you do it to a bitter rival in that moment, you don't think it comes across predictably condescending and instigating?

Crabtree makes the catch and runs 30 yards out of his way after celebrating to slap Sherman on the butt and yell helluva game and try to put his just lost the game self on TV and you think Sherman would enjoy it?

Edited by NoSaint

All he had to do was say "I was excited and got caught up in my emotions. Crabtree talked smack all game and I wanted to have the last word." Everyone would understand and forgive him. But instead he doesn't really apologize and calls everyone racist for finding his unsportsmanlike rant unbecoming.

First off, he didn't need to apologize. Secondly, he called some people racist because of all the n bombs that were getting dropped on him on Twitter and the like.

Take the flipside - why is it forbidden to mention that he's from Compton, and that his performance resembled how a kid from Compton acts more than they resembled how a Stanford graduate would act?

Because he is both? Doesn't his example itself make this comparison untenable? You assume that the distinction between a kid from Compton and a Stanford graduate is meaningful. But Sherman is both. The only way it is meaningful is if you are working with how you assume a kid from Compton and a graduate of Stanford should be. You have proven your own assumptions wrong.

Good post. Agree 100%.

It was also very interesting to see Russell Wilson asking Terry Bradshaw for advice on how to win the Super Bowl.

Because he is both? Doesn't his example itself make this comparison untenable? You assume that the distinction between a kid from Compton and a Stanford graduate is meaningful. But Sherman is both. The only way it is meaningful is if you are working with how you assume a kid from Compton and a graduate of Stanford should be. You have proven your own assumptions wrong.

Yes, let's use the extremes to illustrate a situation.

I've seen Richard Sherman interviewed before. In the interview in question, I'd say I saw a young man that was still fueled by the emotion of the moment. This is a kid that has used emotional fuel, particularly of being the disrespected underdog, to overcome very long odds repeatedly as an athlete.

Has anyone questioned why the network shoved a microphone in Richard Sherman's face when he was "jacked up" like that? Think they'll do it again?

I've seen Richard Sherman interviewed before. In the interview in question, I'd say I saw a young man that was still fueled by the emotion of the moment. This is a kid that has used emotional fuel, particularly of being the disrespected underdog, to overcome very long odds repeatedly as an athlete.

Has anyone questioned why the network shoved a microphone in Richard Sherman's face when he was "jacked up" like that? Think they'll do it again?

Why wouldn't they? Everyone is paying attention to what happened on Fox. Attention feeds Ratings and Impressions = $$$. The better question is why Erin Andrews gave such a look of surprise. She is a friggin' sideline reporter on the game for four hours plus per week. She knows what these guys are like and what's coursing through their veins during the game.

Why wouldn't they? Everyone is paying attention to what happened on Fox. Attention feeds Ratings and Impressions = $$$. The better question is why Erin Andrews gave such a look of surprise. She is a friggin' sideline reporter on the game for four hours plus per week. She knows what these guys are like and what's coursing through their veins during the game.

Bingo.

my guess on EAs surprise: because the interview wasnt about intensity. she expected to be interviewing an amped up and excited football player, but thats not what sherman was. dozens of other players in every game, pretty much ever played, didnt act like that. sherman acted outside the norm, and in my opinion very intentionally in order to get attention. he made himself a lot of money by putting himself in the spotlight. i think he stumbled through it a bit, and probably couldve been sharper in his delivery to preserve some positive sportsmanship points for endorsements but generally speaking i think the only surprise for sherman in all this was how perfectly it generally worked out for him.

Edited by NoSaint

Umm, yeah. I think we all know the reason for Andrews' bewilderment. She didn't get to where she is today by toiling for years in lower markets in the sports journalism career field, gaining experience, then moving up the ranks. LOL

Umm, yeah. I think we all know the reason for Andrews' bewilderment. She didn't get to where she is today by toiling for years in lower markets in the sports journalism career field, gaining experience, then moving up the ranks. LOL

Hey, I've been meaning to ask you - what the hell is your avatar??