The next great QB rivalry: Wilson vs. Kaepernick

I'll get it started:

http://chicago.barst...01/KAW6hk21.jpg

Both have ridiculous talent around them

Both have good-to-great coaches

Both have elite Defenses

Both were passed on by Buddy Nix knowing our #1 need was QB

Who ya got??? Still kills me that Wilson is not a Bill. Brains, athletic ability, leadership, maturity, cool in the pocket, doesn't make the big mistake. Kaep is a stud but Wilson has the heart of a Champion and I think he will have more success.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it's a great rivalry as they play each other twice a season. Factoring in the first three items you mention you have two very evenly skilled QB's going up against eachother. The more I see of both of them I'd call it the battle of mediocrity Buffalo doesn't have any of those first three items, I think if we had drafted RW, likely this board would be covered with posts talking about what a bust he is and we need to get a new QB this year in the draft. Kind of like this board is now, but times ten!

yet both are in the conference championship in consecutive years..yes great defense. ..yes great ol/rb.....and No....EJ couldn't QB either team this far....Both guys are going to win a lot of games.

Brees had 30 yards passing in the first half. ...The elements had a lot to do with Wilson's low total. Not a great stat to pull if you're going to knock him.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

yet both are in the conference championship in consecutive years..yes great defense. ..yes great ol/rb.....and No....EJ couldn't QB either team this far....Both guys are going to win a lot of games.

Brees had 30 yards passing in the first half. ...The elements had a lot to do with Wilson's low total. Not a great stat to pull if you're going to knock him.

I don't think they will go the way of mark Sanchez (started with two straight conference championship games) but once they get 20m deals I'd guess we see them closer to rivers romo or a variety of other good but not manning-Brady qbs.

doesn't part of you wonder how much being successful early has helped both of them?

They might not be elite passers, but they have won so much that they are "budding stars" now, so they will keep doing at least very well if not great.

Now had either of them been drafted here and gotten beat up on a bad 6-10 team for 2 years they could be about finished in the league.

Makes you wonder. So much of success is mental belief in oneself and circumstance

Edited by TheFunPolice

We take for granted how cool he appears to be back there….and since Day 1. For a 3rd Rounder - his rookie season eats our first rounder's lunch (so far).

Not really. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14881/year/2012/russell-wilson

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15803/ej-manuel

I think Kaepernick and Wilson have great futures. But they have had their share of struggles as well. Struggles that some irrational posters here would suggest that the team needed a new QB. Wilson completed 9 passes for 105 yards in a playoff win. No matter how folks try to change it, football is the ultimate TEAM game. Seattle vs. SF is the great rivalry. These QBs have a ton of talent but they have better overall teams around them that can overcome a bad game.

Could EJ not have done what Wilson did against NO? EJ helped the offense score 31 points in a loss to Atlanta, that featured he leading the team down the field for 2 potential GW drives. Do you think Seattle's or SF's defense is losing a game where they score 31 points?

If anything, these QBs should encourage us more about EJ. Unfortunately, our overall team is not as good as theirs so EJ's mistakes stand out more.

So its funny to me. Both of them come out in to the league and set soar. They fly. Both of them performing at the top of their position. By all means they won't get any better. If anything they will regress. Wilson probably has more longevity career wise due to his team and Lynch.

I don't think they will go the way of mark Sanchez (started with two straight conference championship games) but once they get 20m deals I'd guess we see them closer to rivers romo or a variety of other good but not manning-Brady qbs.

I agree with this. Both guys are huge bargains right now because they're good and getting paid peanuts. They will probably be good for a while. But when they sign that mega-contract (and the talent level on their defense deteriorates as a result) - I don't know, I don't think they'll be squaring off in the title game 10yrs from now the way Manning & Brady still are.

So its funny to me. Both of them come out in to the league and set soar. They fly. Both of them performing at the top of their position. By all means they won't get any better. If anything they will regress. Wilson probably has more longevity career wise due to his team and Lynch.

I don't understand all this talk about how the Seahawks are the better team. Their defense is slightly better, sure, but the Niners have the better O-Line, better receivers and a deeper backfield. Kaep is better protected and he has more opportunities to make plays.

I don't understand all this talk about how the Seahawks are the better team. Their defense is slightly better, sure, but the Niners have the better O-Line, better receivers and a deeper backfield. Kaep is better protected and he has more opportunities to make plays.

All true, it's not really close offensively. Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin & Zach Miller? Yikes. Even when Crabtree & Davis were hurt Kaep probably had more to work with just by having a superior OL & Boldin.

All true, it's not really close offensively. Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin & Zach Miller? Yikes. Even when Crabtree & Davis were hurt Kaep probably had more to work with just by having a superior OL & Boldin.

percy, and marshawn would both be welcome additions to the 9ers roster.