LB coach Chuck Driesbach relieved of duties

BRAWNDO

Then Marrone, in order to maintain public inegrity, would need to say something along those lines. It wouldn't have to be a public flogging of Crossman or excoriating his efforts to the media. It could simply be: "We've reviewed all of the film and spoken to our Coordinators and coaches and there are a few key areas that need to improve and I believe with this Off-Season we will. First, on STs we gave up too many return yards, missed too many blocks, didn't stay in our assigned lanes, and it cost us a few games and some key field position. But working with Danny, I know with another year and continued coaching this will turn around. We all know what's at stake." Boom...done....doesn't need to do more than recognize what every other fan in Buffalo sees: a statistically significant regression in the ST's performance and then indicate what will be done to remedy that fact. And in case you're about to argue that he doesn't "owe" us an explanation, again it was Marrone's words that said he knows how imortant the BILLS are to Western NY and its fans. If so...provide some idea as to how "accountability" is defined and how it relates directly to STs.

My personal review, and the process involved, of my group is my business. Not other employees, not my customer's, not my board's.

I have plenty of public integrity, and I don't need to allow anyone into my business to maintain it.

Marrone's discussions and reviews with his staff...isn't your, or my, business either. Simple as that.

Why? Because Marrone doesn't work for us. He works for Doug Whaley.

If Doug Whaley wants to understand the process...that's Doug Whaley's prerogative.

Consider the chaos if things weren't this way. Every small decision scrutinized by clowns, who will never, ever, ever posses the acumen to actually make these decisions properly?

No. Nobody would ever sign up for that job. And even if they did, there'd be no way to do it.

i dont know if lazy is the word here. we all have blind spots in our judgement. its part of being human. in this case, he hired a best friend to work for him. theres a good chance that he is misjudging the situation simply by human nature to look favorably on those we like, not lack of effort.

If I hire a friend...the ONLY course of action is MORE effort, for both of us, to ensure that the friendship isn't coloring things. That may stress the friendship, but, this is work, and work always comes first(in my business. I recognize this isn't true elsewhere.)

Since we advise businesses(in addition to other things we do), we encounter "resistance to change" all the time. 95% of the time? We find "resistance" = "I am ignorant about the change, therefore I resist it. I am ignorant because instead of constantly improving, I've been lazy for the last X years"....hence the reason we've been called in to advise with "new" ideas.

No. Lazy is absolutely the right word.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then Marrone, in order to maintain public inegrity, would need to say something along those lines. It wouldn't have to be a public flogging of Crossman or excoriating his efforts to the media. It could simply be: "We've reviewed all of the film and spoken to our Coordinators and coaches and there are a few key areas that need to improve and I believe with this Off-Season we will. First, on STs we gave up too many return yards, missed too many blocks, didn't stay in our assigned lanes, and it cost us a few games and some key field position. But working with Danny, I know with another year and continued coaching this will turn around. We all know what's at stake." Boom...done....doesn't need to do more than recognize what every other fan in Buffalo sees: a statistically significant regression in the ST's performance and then indicate what will be done to remedy that fact. And in case you're about to argue that he doesn't "owe" us an explanation, again it was Marrone's words that said he knows how important the BILLS are to Western NY and its fans. If so...provide some idea as to how "accountability" is defined and how it relates directly to STs.

This is fair.

But he kind of did this already. Marrone basically said that ST were bad because he didn't have the players, and he's going to get his "core" players. So, he is placing the blame on the players, not the coaches.

Not firing Crossman is entirely consistent with his "accountability" sermons. it would make no sense to fire Crossman if he thought the problem was the players, not the coach.

I hope Pat Morris is next. I said he was a bad hire due to his prior lines being viewed as having talent but poorly coached. Some took me to task for this position. :) Marrone is reviewing the team and making the needed changes. One can hope his buddy Crossman is asked to step aside. The evolution of the team and its coach goes hand in hand.

Edited by Nitro

Look I don't have a problem with this firing because there were obvious problems that need to be fixed. I posted the following in another thread.

Now I don't know what sources Pat Moran has inside the Bills Org but it is not far fetched and reason why I was disappointed with the way Marrone has handled things.

Hilliard wasn't one of Marrone's "guys" and Crossman was. The reasons made for Crossman was that there wasn't enough special team guys. If you go by that reasoning seems Hilliard and Driesbach got the short end of the stick. Hilliard was working with only 1 proven receiver. Driesbach had a below average LB core with a rookie who exceeded everyone's expectations.

In the end it doesn't matter it is on Marrone to get things fixed or he will be the one getting his pink slip.

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/friday-bills-thoughts-notes/

Edited by billieve420

Bring in someone who understands how to coach gap control.....also need a stout and disciplined run defender to pair with Kiko on first and second downs to allow Kiko to create even more plays. Someone has to stay home and fill holes while Kiko runs around like his hair is on fire...

LoL .

Great post. And I agree .

One of the ways of judging anyone's likely performance is the record of past performances. In Crossman's case, his record is one of failure, in improving performance, or at least maintaining the level it was at before he took over. It seems like even a cursory review of that record would raise red flags with employers, and should have done so with Marrone. I have no idea why he went ahead and hired him with his track record, but if it was out of friendship, then it was foolish. And now, having had a year in which Crossman yet again ground down a Special Teams - further evidence that his track record is no fluke - it makes no sense to keep him on staff. As someone else posted, had his record included several years of high level play and a few of low performance, a case could be made to give him another year. But that's not Crossman's history, not even close. His is a record of incessant failure wherever he's gone, one which he has continued in Buffalo. It makes no sense to me that Hilliard and Driesbach were shown the door so rapidly for their perceived failures (no mention so far of needing to draft "more core" receivers or linebackers in their case) while Crossman is seemingly given a pass.

I think we need someone that knows more about "fits"

I do !!

Starting QB for the Bills for a couple years .Smart Kid , left last season . Good guy . I was a fan of sorts . Didn't work out though.

Reminds me of Big Daddy Lipscomb's deathless treatise on defense: "You keep picking up guys and throwing them away until you find the guy with the ball. Him you keep."

Excellent quote I need to remember it !

Crossman must feel like the last teen at Camp Crystal Lake....

Ha !

but probably know his situation by now. we dont though

My guess is that he was not a "Pettine guy".

This is normal IMO for a first year coaching staff - you bring a bunch of alpha male coaches together for the first time some of them get along and others not so much.

Driesbach and Pettine both coached at CB West high school in Doylestown, PA and both are graduates of the same high school and coached together previously. Seems very strange, maybe Marrone is forcing this and cutting ties with Pettine's ILB coach that he recommended, I'm sure. Then again maybe Pettine didn't think Chuck was up to the task...Hmmmm interesting...

Then Marrone, in order to maintain public inegrity, would need to say something along those lines. It wouldn't have to be a public flogging of Crossman or excoriating his efforts to the media. It could simply be: "We've reviewed all of the film and spoken to our Coordinators and coaches and there are a few key areas that need to improve and I believe with this Off-Season we will. First, on STs we gave up too many return yards, missed too many blocks, didn't stay in our assigned lanes, and it cost us a few games and some key field position. But working with Danny, I know with another year and continued coaching this will turn around. We all know what's at stake." Boom...done....doesn't need to do more than recognize what every other fan in Buffalo sees: a statistically significant regression in the ST's performance and then indicate what will be done to remedy that fact. And in case you're about to argue that he doesn't "owe" us an explanation, again it was Marrone's words that said he knows how important the BILLS are to Western NY and its fans. If so...provide some idea as to how "accountability" is defined and how it relates directly to STs.

Just out of curiosity, why does Marrone need to "maintain public integrity"? Personally, I don't think he needs to explain his thinking on every single matter. What matters is that his players and coaches believe in him and I get the sense that they do (though who really knows outside the locker room?). The public doesn't need to believe. They'll believe when he starts winning. There are times when going public might not be in the best interest of the team.

On another note, I thought this quote in the Buffalo News was interesting...

'“That pains me, I’m not going to lie,” admitted Bills defensive line coach Anthony Weaver the week before the end of the season. “The thing that gets me is a lot of the time it’s gash plays. It’s not like they’re milking us for 5 yards at a time and working their way down the field. … To me it’s the 20-yarders, the 30-yarders, those are the things that are killing us.”'

While Weaver was unhappy with his own unit, he wasn't exactly praising the LB play either.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Just out of curiosity, why does Marrone need to "maintain public integrity"? Personally, I don't think he needs to explain his thinking on every single matter. What matters is that his players and coaches believe in him and I get the sense that they do (though who really knows outside the locker room?). The public doesn't need to believe. They'll believe when he starts winning. There are times when going public might not be in the best interest of the team.

'“That pains me, I’m not going to lie,” admitted Bills defensive line coach Anthony Weaver the week before the end of the season. “The thing that gets me is a lot of the time it’s gash plays. It’s not like they’re milking us for 5 yards at a time and working their way down the field. … To me it’s the 20-yarders, the 30-yarders, those are the things that are killing us.”'

While Weaver was unhappy with his own unit, he wasn't exactly praising the LB play either.

No kidding. As if Bellicheat or Tomlin or Harbaugh cared one iota what the fans thought of their decision making process.

Wow, Weaver just begging to be held accountable...

No kidding. As if Bellicheat or Tomlin or Harbaugh cared one iota what the fans thought of their decision making process.

I'm sure that Greg Schiano also didn't care about what the fans thought. Why are you comparing Marrone to Belichick?

Guess he is the fall guy for the run defense and the bad fills we saw quite a few times

Like Ike...some of these new assistant coaches gotta learn how to brown nose... like some others on that staff!

Cronyism, it worked out so well for Chan.

Edited by FeartheLosing