Jay Gruden HC Washington

Beerball

If I were a Redskins fan, this hire would not make me happy. I think Jay Gruden is a fine coordinator, but watching him on Hard Knocks this last year I don't know if he has the personality or professional aptitude to be a Head Coach. I also consider that despite some incredible weapons on Offense, the Bengals Offense wasn't "spectacular" albeit at times it was good....most of the time, it was just good *enough*. Of course, I could be completely wrong and Jay Grudent turn into the second coming of Vince Lombardi...but, I suspect in 4 years (or less) there will be another press conference similar to the one about to happen...and so goes the turnstile.

Not an Andy Dalton basher, but his erratic play was their biggest obstacle all year. I don't put that on Gruden at all.

Not an Andy Dalton basher, but his erratic play was their biggest obstacle all year. I don't put that on Gruden at all.

i tend to agree, but itll be interesting to find out more on the topic this year. all things good with andy dalton tend to get credited to gruden and any poor play falls on andys shoulders ive noticed. i wouldnt be shocked, although im not a dalton fan, if we may find out hes a little better than given credit for and gruden is not quite as magical at coordinator.

Well, Andy's level of play in the playoff game was bad, but their inability to run effectively and the fumbles were atrocious. Not to mention his WRs in the playoff game dropped some really important passes including A.J. Green. I don't put it "all" on Gruden, b/c the Bengals Offense wasn't terrible, it just wasn't something I bought into regarding all the hype. I think, despite my last comment about Green, he makes Andy look better given his catching radius and speed.

I heard Gruden to Washington and Jackson in to Cincy as OC... If that happens then the Bengals have had a result!

I think Hue Jackson did an outstanding job as the head coach in Oakland but new GM Reggie McKenzie came in and had to hire his own guy, Dennis Allen.

I don't think the Bengals offense is gonna miss a beat. If anything I think they'll improve.

So he's as talented as Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers based on his rookie year (I guess we are ignoring this year's result)? What does he do as well as any of them?

His rookie year was barely distinguishable from Wilson's---and which would you rather have after their first 2 seasons? The one who took a huge step backwards?

It's interesting that you equate talent with results.

Many people think of talent in terms of potential more than they do results. Just an observation.

If I were a Redskins fan, this hire would not make me happy. I think Jay Gruden is a fine coordinator, but watching him on Hard Knocks this last year I don't know if he has the personality or professional aptitude to be a Head Coach. I also consider that despite some incredible weapons on Offense, the Bengals Offense wasn't "spectacular" albeit at times it was good....most of the time, it was just good *enough*. Of course, I could be completely wrong and Jay Grudent turn into the second coming of Vince Lombardi...but, I suspect in 4 years (or less) there will be another press conference similar to the one about to happen...and so goes the turnstile.

I have a friend who lives in DC and is a Hard Knocks devotee.

He felt the same way as you. I don't watch the series but my friend said that Gruden gave Dalton plenty of preferential treatment and that there was a double standard for accountability on the offense.

Yes and No.

Gruden has been his coordinator for 3 years.

In addition, Gruden urged the Bengals to draft Dalton over Kaepernick and Mallett.

Gruden has to be accountable for some percentage of Dalton's play.

who is to say that rg3 will be the starter? he had dalton. dalton is not most mobile qb. didnt cincy run it alot more than pass. willing to be if cousins were given a shot, he could be the starter. but snyder would never allow it.

I think Hue Jackson did an outstanding job as the head coach in Oakland but new GM Reggie McKenzie came in and had to hire his own guy, Dennis Allen.

I don't think the Bengals offense is gonna miss a beat. If anything I think they'll improve.

Many people think of talent in terms of potential more than they do results. Just an observation.

He felt the same way as you. I don't watch the series but my friend said that Gruden gave Dalton plenty of preferential treatment and that there was a double standard for accountability on the offense.

Yes and No.

Gruden has been his coordinator for 3 years.

In addition, Gruden urged the Bengals to draft Dalton over Kaepernick and Mallett.

Gruden has to be accountable for some percentage of Dalton's play.

Hue Jackson was de facto GM and was (dis)credited with trading a 1st and second for Carson Palmer.

Bengals "We want a first for Palmer (we're playing hard ball, hell, we'll take a 7th and some training room sterilizer.)"

Hue Jackson "How about a first and a second?"

Bengals "Thanks. I'll draft Dre Kirkpatrick and Gio Bernard."

He might have had his team ready to play but he hurt the organization's ability to improve on that trade. They couldn't keep him.

Now it comes full circle and he effectively traded himself Bernard.

Edited by Why So Serious?

He will fit in perfectly with the Redskins.

I didn't even think Jay Gruden was the best coordinator on the Bengals.

I would not care about that if I was a GM. I am hiring a headcoach not a coordinator. I think that over and over, GMs make the same mistake of hiring people that do well as coordinators. The skils required to be a headcoach are significantly different.

who is to say that rg3 will be the starter? he had dalton. dalton is not most mobile qb. didnt cincy run it alot more than pass. willing to be if cousins were given a shot, he could be the starter. but snyder would never allow it.

Yeah, why start the rookie of the year and #2 overall pick when you can start a 4th rounder with 8 tds and 11 ints? The myth of Kirk Cousins is hilarious.

He will fit in perfectly with the Redskins.

I am definitely watching Hard Knocks Deadskins.

Dan Snyder would jump into every single camera shot.

He would hire people to wear an identical prosthetic mask and have them follow each camera crew just so his likeness would be somewhere in every shot.

Plus we can get some good Native American protests going.

Come on HBO!

Edited by Why So Serious?

Talent unrealized is either wasted or imagined.

Potential is something that cannot be seen. Talent can be observed--in results.

I'm not saying RG3 is not talent by any means. But I think his legend outreaced his reality in short order. And the poster claimed he was as talented as anyone in the league at QB. You simply cannot make that claim based on a hunch ("potential"), because it is such a specific and grand statement to make. That cohort is small and very well known, so it's hard to just stick a QB struggling in his second year into that elite group just for the sake of argument and be persuasive...

Keeping Snyder away is an impossibility. This is the worst job in the NFL. The ownership sucks, the media is a constant weight, the team is a divided mess, and the cupboard is bare. Good luck to him.

You realize that Washington made the playoffs last season, had the ROY at the most important position on the field and will spend whatever you ask for free agents, right?

You realize that Washington made the playoffs last season, had the ROY at the most important position on the field and will spend whatever you ask for free agents, right?

Unfortunately for the Bills, I think they will go after Byrd hard and pay him whatever he wants.

Their ROY had basically the same QB rating as Fitz this season. And they won an amazing 3 games. They also don't have a first round pick this year because they traded it away . They are not headed in the right direction .