Jay Gruden HC Washington

Beerball

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you go from saying that he is AS talented as anyone in the league, and someone questions you on that very debatable comment, and then you somehow twist what he said into implying that he was stating that he "isn't very talented".

You're comical, dude

Thanks but it's comical how everyone switches opinions every other game. RG3 may have had as good of a rookie year as any QB ever. 20 tds to 5 ints, 66%, 8.14 ypa, 815 yards rushing, and 7 tds and the only good wr he had was Pierre Garcon. My point remains. RG3 is as talented as any QB in the league. Whether he reaches that potential consistently remains to be seen. But if I was a new coach with an offensive background, I'd jump at the chance to work with RG3.

Thanks but it's comical how everyone switches opinions every other game. RG3 may have had as good of a rookie year as any QB ever. 20 tds to 5 ints, 66%, 8.14 ypa, 815 yards rushing, and 7 tds and the only good wr he had was Pierre Garcon. My point remains. RG3 is as talented as any QB in the league. Whether he reaches that potential consistently remains to be seen. But if I was a new coach with an offensive background, I'd jump at the chance to work with RG3.

So he's as talented as Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers based on his rookie year (I guess we are ignoring this year's result)? What does he do as well as any of them?

His rookie year was barely distinguishable from Wilson's---and which would you rather have after their first 2 seasons? The one who took a huge step backwards?

So he's as talented as Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers based on his rookie year (I guess we are ignoring this year's result)? What does he do as well as any of them?

His rookie year was barely distinguishable from Wilson's---and which would you rather have after their first 2 seasons? The one who took a huge step backwards?

i think hes simply arguing raw talent, not that hes as accomplished or anything. from that standpoint he can run as well as anyone, has a pretty darn strong arm, and has shown flashes of getting the mental side of the game.

i wouldnt say hes as good as any of those guys, but i wouldnt freak if someone said he had as much talent, as id assume the above is generally what they meant.

i think hes simply arguing raw talent, not that hes as accomplished or anything. from that standpoint he can run as well as anyone, has a pretty darn strong arm, and has shown flashes of getting the mental side of the game.

i wouldnt say hes as good as any of those guys, but i wouldnt freak if someone said he had as much talent, as id assume the above is generally what they meant.

I disagree. Talent in this instance means one thing--the totality of gifts that allow a guy to be among the best QBs in the league. RG3 is fast and has a big arm. Vick is faster and has the best arm in the NFL. But his talent at QB is modest, at best.

RG3 bombed this season in arguable the worst division in the NFL. As the season went on, he got worse. Shanahan's benching of him was an act of mercy. He single handedly has put to bed the short lived "read option" craze.

I disagree. Talent in this instance means one thing--the totality of gifts that allow a guy to be among the best QBs in the league. RG3 is fast and has a big arm. Vick is faster and has the best arm in the NFL. But his talent at QB is modest, at best.

RG3 bombed this season in arguable the worst division in the NFL. As the season went on, he got worse. Shanahan's benching of him was an act of mercy. He single handedly has put to bed the short lived "read option" craze.

He had a major injury (see EJ Manuel) that he played with all year. I'll put up $25 right now that RG3 is considered a top 10 QB by the end of next year.

What what in the but? I think the Read option will last alittle longer. It isn't like the WildCat craze. Every college QB pretty much runs the read option, I think the NFL will embrace it for awhile.

He had a major injury (see EJ Manuel) that he played with all year. I'll put up $25 right now that RG3 is considered a top 10 QB by the end of next year.

RG3 did have a major injury (EJ sprained his knee), but that was at the end of the the 2012 season. After surgery, he essentailly rehabbed for 8 months and was held out of the preseason. Other than for those blaming his previous injury on this year's results, I don't see any team or Dr. Andrews report saying he is still inured.

This is how a writer in the washingtimes summed it up---in November:

Griffin, who played in a far less complex offense in college at Baylor, must read coverages better, understand what personnel the defense has put on the field, develop a feel for when to use his elusiveness to step up in the pocket at the right time and buy himself a precious extra second or two. If he identifies a specific blitz package he must get rid of the ball quicker.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/27/rg3-says-hes-still-concentrating-present-not-futur/#ixzz2pv6ije77

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Anyway, so now your arguing that, next year, he may crack the top ten? Hey, maybe.

I heard Gruden to Washington and Jackson in to Cincy as OC... If that happens then the Bengals have had a result!

Hue Jackson to OC in Cincy, and the media/fanbase considers this an upgrade. Not to dis Gruden, who some say is a better position fit at HC than OC. Everybody wins :)

Press release says Haslett is DC and McVay is OC. Where did you get Morris and Jackson?

the linked article in the OP mentioned them as the likely choices before it was edited by the writer.

Edited by NoSaint

I guess we can't complain all that much when the Redskins retain Haslett under a new regime who ran a bottom tier defense which gave up the 2nd most points/game in the NFL.

But what's scary are the teams that are making similar decisions on coaches - Bills, Raiders and now the redskins. All dysfunctional teams.

Press release says Haslett is DC and McVay is OC. Where did you get Morris and Jackson?

What is funny, during the final weeks of the season, when Shannahan's firing was considered a sure thing, there were rumors that Snyder wanted to fire Kyle Shannahan and Haslett, and retain Mike Shanahann. Curious as to wether Gruden chose to retain these guys, or they were forced on him..if it is the latter, it might not be a good thing for him.

Personally, I think it is not a bad hire for Washington. Jay Gruden may only be John's brother, but he has been around the game, in many facets, just as long..he will have something to prove. I think the did a pretty great job with Cincinnati...and Washington, while not as loaded as Cincy offensively, has some decent pieces in place. They need another receiver or two...but they have a talented TE (Jordan Reed) and a good running game...and Kirk Cousins, in my book, is no slouch, should RGIII not bounce back. I think he will.

I guess we can't complain all that much when the Redskins retain Haslett under a new regime who ran a bottom tier defense which gave up the 2nd most points/game in the NFL.

But what's scary are the teams that are making similar decisions on coaches - Bills, Raiders and now the redskins. All dysfunctional teams.

The most dysfunctional team, Cleveland, did the opposite. As did Miami, another mess of a team. I don't consider the Bills a dysfunctional team at this point, personally. They just overhauled FO and coaching staff a year ago. They did not go backward in W-L despite having 3 different QBs (2 rookies) starting games due to injuries, their vet QB go down for the year in PS, the 3rd youngest team in the league, and rookies playing key positions. They had an outstanding draft and FA signings. It isn't want the ultimate result anyone wanted for this season because we always want playoffs, but not sure I would call it "dysfunctional." Their FO, coaches and players all seem to be on the same page and when they aren't they get the heave-ho. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

If I were a Redskins fan, this hire would not make me happy. I think Jay Gruden is a fine coordinator, but watching him on Hard Knocks this last year I don't know if he has the personality or professional aptitude to be a Head Coach. I also consider that despite some incredible weapons on Offense, the Bengals Offense wasn't "spectacular" albeit at times it was good....most of the time, it was just good *enough*. Of course, I could be completely wrong and Jay Grudent turn into the second coming of Vince Lombardi...but, I suspect in 4 years (or less) there will be another press conference similar to the one about to happen...and so goes the turnstile.

Does this mean all the Redskins pc's, laptops, tablets and servers are going to continually crash and their web site will lock?

Oh...sorry Jay Gruden not Jay Rosen....

C. Biscuit, I'm going to save any Bob Griffin-related conversations with you for next season, as neither of us will change our stance between now and then. :w00t:

But this is funny. I went to look up Gruden's history on wiki and this is the intro ...

"Jay Gruden (born March 4, 1967) is an American football coach and former quarterback. He is currently the next head coach Daniel Snyder will fire for the Washington Redskins and was formerly the head coach of the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League."

Um, do you think they got mixed up and accidently think they were hiring Jon? The NFL, where your last name is more important than the results. http://www.pro-footb....com/teams/cin/ The offense had a good year this year but was hardly a juggernaut under Gruden.

That said, I think RG3 is due for a bounce back year and Gruden has probably maxed out Dalton. The Washington D was the biggest problem though.

Well ya, juggernauts are usually QB'd by Rodgers/Manning/Brees/Brady. I'd never hire an OC who happened to luck into one of those guys.

Zimmer probably did do a more impressive job though considering he was missing his two best players for much of the year.