The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

For the third year in a row, my insurance costs are decreasing. I don't know why I'm an outlier in this regard.

You are literally the only person I've heard say that, whether they were participating in the ACA or not.

For the third year in a row, my insurance costs are decreasing. I don't know why I'm an outlier in this regard.

In spite of the fact that I am a desk jockey, I spend a lot of time talking to my customers and vendors in the market I'm in and I know of not a single person whose costs have decreased once since the law was passed, so I'd be curious as to the details of your magical plan.

It is provided by your employee? Self-insured?

With the upcoming Trump Presidency, while the Republicans are focused on dismantling this piece of steaming legislation, Democrats may focus on other Health Care related issues

Such as how to keep Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Steven Breyer, and Anthony Kennedy alive the next four years

In spite of the fact that I am a desk jockey, I spend a lot of time talking to my customers and vendors in the market I'm in and I know of not a single person whose costs have decreased once since the law was passed, so I'd be curious as to the details of your magical plan.

It is provided by your employee? Self-insured?

I'm guessing his mom upping the amount of Robitussin flavors qualifies as lowering his healthcare costs.

With the upcoming Trump Presidency, while the Republicans are focused on dismantling this piece of steaming legislation, Democrats may focus on other Health Care related issues

Such as how to keep Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Steven Breyer, and Anthony Kennedy alive the next four years

Step 1: find out if Hillary has a grudge against any of them.

Ah! That makes sense. Use the "Keep Hillary alive through the election" medical protocols. Lots and lots of rest, IV drips of whatever drugs they need, and lots and lots of rest.

• 2 weeks later...
What happened in Minnesota

Although Donald Trump narrowly lost the state of Minnesota to Hillary Clinton, Minnesota Republicans achieved remarkable results in legislative races. Republicans amplified their majority to an unprecedented number for a presidential-year election in the state House of Representatives and captured a one-vote majority in the state Senate (again, in a presidential election year when the turnout advantage usually accrues to Democrats). The result in the state Senate were striking as well. As Patrick Coolican put it in the Star Tribune: “Senate Republicans have endured the indignities of minority status for all but two of the past 44 years[.]” (Unfortunately, Senate Minority Leader David Hann did not survive his own race.)

At MinnPost, Brianna Biershbach takes a look in “How Minnesota Republicans pulled off the biggest surprise of the election season.” Biershbach is good on some of the nuts and bolts that went into the House results. With an eye to the House legislative races in particular, I want to take a look myself in two or three posts to convey a sense of the wave that hit Minnesota on election day and the issue that accounted for it more than any other.

Obamacare premium rate hikes hit big time in Minnesota, which has gone all in on Obamacare courtesy of Governor Mark Dayton. In mid-October Governor Dayton professed himself shocked that the Affordable Care Act is “no longer affordable.” Thanks, guy. Gee, who could have seen it coming?

Dayton sought to create some distance between Democrats standing for election to the legislature and the unfolding catastrophe of Obamacare. He decried the Obamacare rate hikes that percolated through Minnesota’s state health insurance exchange as though he were an innocent bystander. He thinks we’re really, really stupid and, like President Obama, he’s got the electoral success to prove it.

On Power Line I noted ten days before the election that I had come across a VW in the parking lot of a small shopping center within shouting distance of the ancestral homes of Tom Friedman, the Coen brothers and (aargh!) Al Franken in suburban Minneapolis. The owner of the VW was a casualty of Obamacare, Minnesota style. He was testifying (photo below) and, suffice it to say, he wasn’t buying what Minnesota Democrats were selling this year.

IMG_0605.jpg?resize=580%2C435

The homemade window sticker refers to HealthPartners, a major local health insurance carrier on the Minnesota Obamacare exchange and the individual market. The VW owner was unhappy with Dayton et al. HealthPartners isn’t too thrilled either. Outside the Twin Cities and St. Cloud metropolitan areas, HealthPartners has pulled out of individual market coverage for next year.

The Ms. I found on the VW in St. Louis Park proved to be a harbinger. Health insurance costs in fact emerged as the top issue in the final weeks of the campaign. Below is an ad that ran in the final week of the election. The ad featured a family in Goodhue County facing skyrocketing health care costs. The group that produced it spent $500,000 in television advertising on it. The ad was viewed widely over the last week of the campaign. Note that it says vote against Democrats; it assisted Republicans generally.

{snip}

Health care is a traditionally Democratic issue. The Obamacare catastrophe turned it into a huge advantage for GOP candidates this year. For Republicans to have won on the issue of health insurance is as improbable as Democrats winning on the issue of taxes. In Minnesota, the world turned upside down this year courtesy of Barack Obama and Mark Dayton

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2016/11/what-happened-in-minnesota-2.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+powerlineblog%2Flivefeed+%28Power+Line%29

Dems have paid a huge price politically for Obamacare, starting with 2010 mid-terms. Obama hanging on in 2012 was merely false hope in what has otherwise been a steady erosion of Dem support at a levels of government and it's amazing to hear Dem pols still supporting this crap.

Because the Democratic supporters firmly believe that the ACA is working well (except for a few minor problems), and the real issue is that the American public doesn't understand that (because of "fake news stories.")

The ACA was and is an excellent example of the triumph of hope over reality.

"TrumpCare will be a 'terrific' improvement on Obamacare:

The Trump administration plans to propose a health care bill that will require insurance companies to enroll people with pre-existing conditions.

In return, the companies will gain millions of new customers, since people will now face a mandate to buy health insurance or else face a $10,000 fine — much higher than under Obamacare.

'I figured out, like with houses or cars, insurance can't work unless we're all in,' explained the president-elect."

Sorry I missed this part

In this spirit, let me outline a few news stories that I hope we will see over the next few weeks.

Edited by ALF

"TrumpCare will be a 'terrific' improvement on Obamacare:

The Trump administration plans to propose a health care bill that will require insurance companies to enroll people with pre-existing conditions.

In return, the companies will gain millions of new customers, since people will now face a mandate to buy health insurance or else face a $10,000 fine much higher than under Obamacare.

'I figured out, like with houses or cars, insurance can't work unless we're all in,' explained the president-elect."

http://www.newsmax.com/FareedZakaria/trump-clinton-trumpcare-organization/2016/11/24/id/760547/

What is this crap and why are you posting it?

I made the big mistake of thinking Fareed Zakaria stuck with facts, my bad

I was listening to his Sunday show and missed that disclaimer

Did you also know that the world's earliest known farmers weren'thumans, but Fijian ants?

It's trouu, it's trouu, it's trouu, it's trouu, oh it's trouu!

Gruber Still Lying About Obamacare

by David Catron

Original Article

FTA:

Gruber, in case you have forgotten, is the MIT economics professor who frequently referred to himself as the “father of Obamacare” during the long health reform debate that culminated in the passage of the ironically titled “Affordable Care Act.” He became an unperson two years ago when a video emerged in which he delivered himself of the following words of wisdom concerning the law: “Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage.… And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical for the thing to pass.”

Now, he’s attempting to make a comeback by defending the “reform” law from repeal. In an opinion piece published yesterday in the NewYork Daily News, Gruber demonstrated that he still thinks we’re a bunch of brain dead morons. He begins by telling the long-suffering readers of that publication that the law has been a success. In support of this preposterous claim, he offers the same talking points we have been getting from the Obama administration. He glibly repeats, for example, the following whopper: “Twenty million Americans have gained insurance coverage.”

This figure was long ago abandoned by all but the most dishonest Obamacare pimps. It first originated in a widely panned report published in the New England Journal of Medicine. When this work of bad fiction first appeared, Reason’s Peter Suderman debunked it in a column titled, “No, 20 Million Haven’t ‘Gained Coverage’ Under Obamacare,” where he pointed out that the report indiscriminately included anyone who bought insurance: “It’s a count of people obtaining coverage, whether or not they had it before, not people who were previously uninsured.”

Another lie Gruber repeats in yesterday’s piece is this long-ago-debunked tale: “Since the ACA’s passage, health-care costs have grown at their slowest rate in measured U.S. history; the innovative cost controls put in place by the law are one important reason why.” He knows perfectly well that this slowdown in health care inflation has nothing to do with Obamacare. As this report from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid shows, the slowdown began seven years before the “Affordable Care Act” passed. Gruber hopes his readers are too dumb to know that.

More at the link: