Report: NFL to Add Additional Wild Card Team per Conference

The NFL is working night and day to fix something that ain't broke.

It is broke in the sense that the NFL needs more money to pay ever increasing player salaries. This would give them a nice TV revenue boost. Granted it is a short term fix, but it is better than nothing.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jester: how are the playoffs "watered down"? That GB game was a fabulous game and came down to the wire. Looking at standings, GB should have lost by 20 against SF - that's what makes the NFL different than other leagues. Much the same way an "inferior" SD went to Cincy and clobbered them over the head and stole their lunch money.

I absolutely enjoyed the games too. But no one can say a game with the cards vs SF wouldn't have been just as good. And call me crazy, I just really find somethng appealing about the team with 10 wins getting into the playoffs instead of the team with 8. I just can't stomach a team with a better record getting left home just because it didn't have the good luck to play in a garbage division.

At least in SDs case, they had the 6th best record.

Exactly

Extending the season and expanding the playoffs is a horrible idea

Once they expand to 14 teams making the playoffs how long before its 16 and half the freaking league gets in

not when they expand to 36 teams!

I can't say I like the idea. It just increases the odds of a team with a losing record making the playoffs. It kinda sucks for the Cards, but the solution to their problem was to win more games. Its not Green Bay's fault that the Cards finished 3rd in the NFC West and went 2-4 in their division.

The current system isn't particularly good, but this alternative stands a decent chance of giving us an 8-8 vs 7-9 Super Bowl matchup at some point down the road. I don't think anyone wants to see that.

I can't say I like the idea. It just increases the odds of a team with a losing record making the playoffs. It kinda sucks for the Cards, but the solution to their problem was to win more games.

Yeah! and if the Cards had won 11 or 12 games like they were supposed to then we could have left 11-5 win New Orleans home too! that's justice!

Yeah! and if the Cards had won 11 or 12 games like they were supposed to then we could have left 11-5 win New Orleans home too! that's justice!

And that would have been the Saints' problem, not mine. I'm not saying the current system is perfect, it certainly isn't, but I don't think allowing a 7th team in is the solution. In most years, its just going to add a mediocre team to the playoffs and diminish the importance of the regular season.

And that would have been the Saints' problem, not mine. I'm not saying the current system is perfect, it certainly isn't, but I don't think allowing a 7th team in is the solution. In most years, its just going to add a mediocre team to the playoffs and diminish the importance of the regular season.

Agreed-i don't want 7 teams either. i want 4 division with 8 teams each, and 6 playoff teams in each conference. itt is the 4-team divisions that are screwing things up and making hte nfl look bad.

• 4 weeks later...

It is broke in the sense that the NFL needs more money to pay ever increasing player salaries. This would give them a nice TV revenue boost. Granted it is a short term fix, but it is better than nothing.

The law of diminishing returns will come into play. I love to watch the playoffs, but the more watered down they make them, the less interesting they will become.

And obviously they aren't going to stick at 7 playoffs teams per conference. That will last for two years max before they go to 8. Now you've got 50% of the league in the playoffs and it's no longer a tournament of elite teams.

it's great idea.

that is where the extra revenue will come from when they reduce the preseason games from 4 to 2.

I think you're correct. Players will not agree to 18 game season and Goodell wants to get rid of preseason games....

Love the idea. Also makes having the best record in the division more important for the bye.

The law of diminishing returns will come into play. I love to watch the playoffs, but the more watered down they make them, the less interesting they will become.

And obviously they aren't going to stick at 7 playoffs teams per conference. That will last for two years max before they go to 8. Now you've got 50% of the league in the playoffs and it's no longer a tournament of elite teams.

I understand your concern about 'watering it down,' but I do not think that will happen. Look at Hockey. The Western Conference in particular has had several #7 and #8 seeds make the Stanley Cup in recent years. Add to that the fact that the NFL season only has 16 games, and you have the potential for a younger team to "find itself" and go on a tear and make the #8 seed.

I would prefer that they hold a lottery for the last WC spot. It would be more fun to have a random team get thrown in there, and probably the only way we ever make the playoffs again.

this is perhaps the best/most hilarious idea. random team. perhaps if they go to 8, it would be a true "wildcard." How about going further, the random team for each conference could come from the other conference!

Jester: how are the playoffs "watered down"? That GB game was a fabulous game and came down to the wire. Looking at standings, GB should have lost by 20 against SF - that's what makes the NFL different than other leagues. Much the same way an "inferior" SD went to Cincy and clobbered them over the head and stole their lunch money.

more teams in bothers me a bit more in a 1 and done situation like the nfl. unless you are crushing a team, 1 bounce, or a bad call can have a big impact and i hate seeing that when a teams regular season record is 5 games better

Love the idea. Also makes having the best record in the division more important for the bye.

I understand your concern about 'watering it down,' but I do not think that will happen. Look at Hockey. The Western Conference in particular has had several #7 and #8 seeds make the Stanley Cup in recent years. Add to that the fact that the NFL season only has 16 games, and you have the potential for a younger team to "find itself" and go on a tear and make the #8 seed.

I'm not discounting that possibility at all, it's what I'm afraid of. I don't think 8 seeds upsetting 1 seeds is a good thing. It makes the regular season much less meaningful. I think the teams that played best all season should be rewarded more than those who suddenly get hot in December.

In hockey it's a 7 game series which drastically reduces the fluke team advancing.