Kevin Gilbride retires

DPR4444

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/giants-39-kevin-gilbride-announces-232000807--nfl.html;_ylt=A0oG7uBeAMZSKDIAXGVXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0aWx1YWdzBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDMzNF8x

"“It’s hard to say, ‘It’s time,’” Gilbride said via the Giants' official website. "To finally do it, it’s a very unnatural feeling. I knew this was it and I was going to do it. I finally pulled the trigger. But it’s difficult.”

They are throwing a party for Gilbride. Buddy Ryan says he will throw the first punch :w00t:

I just watched that 'Football Life' from the 1993 Oilers. Gilbride really showed some class handling the entire Buddy Ryan thing.

Gilbride was a pretty decent OC here was he not? If i remember correctly? Another coach/player that leaves the Bills and gets a ring(s)...oh well.

We had a couple of glory years with Gilbride here. Remember 2002--first year with Bledsoe? We were a top-5 offense in the league!!

I find it funny that you refer to any time period within the last 15+ years as glory years. :lol:

We did have a nice 8 game run in 2002 though!!

Edited by 3 --> 10 Connection

Very curious to see if the Giants go outside the organization for Gilbride's replacement. They need some fresh ideas on that team.

I was wondering if Jason Garret would get fired, NY Daily News had been hinting that Gilbride was likely done. I had thought maybe Garrett goes to NY. Eli with Garret as an OC? I'd buy that stock.

I was wondering if Jason Garret would get fired, NY Daily News had been hinting that Gilbride was likely done. I had thought maybe Garrett goes to NY. Eli with Garret as an OC? I'd buy that stock.

well, IIRC, Jerry Jones came out and gave his support to say that Garrett has his full support and is staying, so that usually means we can expect the firing any time now..............

I find it funny that you refer to any time period within the last 15+ years as glory years. :lol:

We did have a nice 8 game run in 2002 though!!

It's all relative!!

I do remember a bunch of really entertaining games during that 2002 season-- real barn-burners. Ahhhh, to be 8-8 and have a top-5 offense again.... we can only dream!

Well it was either retire or get fired, looks better to retire and say you left on your own terms

Yep, he was the scapegoat for this years 28th ranked offense. The GM's lack of building a proper O line. The bad O line play, and the offensive injuries caused Eli to get hurried / hit so often. Which also caused the bad protections, the bad run game, and injuries to the RB's.

Never mind that this is the very same OC that took over an 8-8 team from 2006, and in 2007 and setup the offense / called plays well enough for a 10-6 record and a super bowl win. Then the NY Giants went to the super bowl and won it again in 2011, and had many injuries along that O line that he overcame.

Whew, a 2x SB winning OC and the NYC fans want him burned on the cross. I gotta wonder what they would want to do with Hackett :lol: