Jets have no qualms about drafting another QB...

Mr. WEO

The Jets are one of the few franchises we can look down at.

Yeah, we sure can look down at their back to back AFC championship appearances 3 years ago, and 8-8 record this year with a godawful rookie QB.

What a gas, people actually think the Jets are more of a loser organization than us.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. People who want Vick are still playing Madden 2001. He's not smart & would be the last guy I'd want around EJ. Plus, he's about as durable as Kolb.

I can buy the not durable thing with Vick, but if we had a decent QB along with Manuel instead of a guy who was cut by Detroit and a guy who has no business being on an NFL roster, we probably would've been playing the final week for a playoff spot.

hey thats smarmy .

isnt it ?

Depends on how invested one is in Manuel, I guess, but I did include the smiley. Point being that being the best QB (pre-draft evaluation) in a really weak class doesn't necessarily equate to being a top-10 QB talent in the next draft.

It gets to the whole, "does one draft to build a winner or to fill holes?" argument that happens every off-season here.

Similar to the narrative that Kolb was signed to be the starter so Manuel could sit behind him. Not many first rounders the past 3 drafts who are picked and subsequently sit major time behind a veteran. I dare say Manuel was there to start from day 1, but they wanted someone pushing him in camp. Fine, but the guy pushing had a significant injury history that repeated itself twice in the span of a month.

Agreed. Kevin Kolb was a veteran backup plan, not the Bills version of Brett Favre.

Most new coaching staffs don't have the luxury of bringing along a QB slowly anymore. Most new coaching staffs come into a situation of losing, hence the open job, and don't have a Hall-of-Fame caliber QB already on the roster to lead the team to the playoffs. If they don't get it right, they are out the door too soon to develop anyone, and the next staff in will not be beholden to the decisions of the last, fired middle management group.

Wait, he wasn't? seems many here thought otherwise when we traded down and still were able to "get" him at 16.

I seriously have NO idea what your point it supposed to be - other than you are tossing hyperbole all over the place, which is generally referred to as "trolling".

Since the Bills liked him as the best prospect on their board, it's clearly a good thing they traded down and still got him - certainly that's better than taking him at 8 and not getting Kiko in the bargain, right??

Manuel was a raw prospect QB - not a ready to go QB. EVERYONE knew that last year.

Unless you believed in Geno - who proved to be about as bad as his pre-draft detractors claimed, there were ZERO ready to start QB prospects in the draft.

Glennon did better than expected but almost noone had him as a 1st rounder. None of the other prospects some here were high on even cracked the lineups of their teams.

There are multiple better QB prospects this year - and as much as I like EJ, if the Bills manage to grab one of the top guys, I'm fine with that.

From early accounts though, the Bills would have to trade up to get one - I don't think Manziel even makes it to 9 - my guess he goes 8, but I wouldn't be shocked if a good combine or something sends him to Houston. Burtles and Bridgewater will be gone too.

Edited by BobChalmers

I seriously have NO idea what your point it supposed to be - other than you are tossing hyperbole all over the place, which is generally referred to as "trolling".

Manuel was a raw prospect QB - not a ready to go QB. EVERYONE knew that last year.

Unless you believed in Geno - who proved to be about as bad as his pre-draft detractors claimed, there were ZERO ready to start QB prospects in the draft.

Glennon did better than expected but almost noone had him as a 1st rounder. None of the other prospects some here were high on even cracked the lineups of their teams.

There are multiple better QB prospects this year - and as much as I like EJ, if the Bills manage to grab one of the top guys, I'm fine with that.

From early accounts though, the Bills would have to trade up to get one - I don't think Manziel even makes it to 9 - my guess he goes 8, but I wouldn't be shocked if a good combine or something sends him to Houston. Burtles and Bridgewater will be gone too.

It is trolling.

If someone else would have posted this WEO would've responded with "So you want the Bills to model what the Jets are doing?"

Don't have to write EJ off. But the durability issues are real (unless Marrone had alterior motives for not having him play in NE).

QB draftees are cheap and there is a good group this year. They should absolutely take one to compete for the starting job, not some guy to stash on the PS.

This part is totally reasonable btw.

Save your breath for the fanboys who actually thought that at the time. I don't know anyone who thought EJ was any more than a raw prospect with a very high ceiling who did very well with the entire process leading up to his selection.

GO BILLS!!!

That's all I'm saying.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree with NoSaint and K-9. It's gotta be a real stud at 9. DO NOT TRADE UP. If there is a guy at 9 that the FO thinks is a can't miss QB, then I'd be ok with taking him. The fact that they would do it two years in a row would tell me all I need to know, that they have little faith in EJ and lots of faith in the drafted player.

Still, we don't have to conflate "hating EJ" with wanting ample talent at the QB position for the team to win. The two things are not related. One can like and respect EJ very much and think he'll develop into a solid pro, but also hold the opinion that he isn't ready yet and that there might be legitimately better alternatives. On the other hand, one can also believe that Manuel is the absolute best alternative bar none and the search is over.

As far as the "they'll all be gone" point, that may be true or it might not. It just smacks a bit of defeatism to keep reading that there may be no way the Bills could draft a great QB. After all, Jim Kelly wasn't drafted in the top 10 and he wasn't all that bad. :)

Since the Bills liked him as the best prospect on their board, it's clearly a good thing they traded down and still got him - certainly that's better than taking him at 8 and not getting Kiko in the bargain, right??

My point is that this is not true. "Everyone" knew EJ wasn't ready to be a starting QB on this team? Everybody who, here? Everybody when? After one week of camp, threads were being started here opining on the "staged" QB competition between Kolb and EJ, with EJ being the obvious starter going into the season. There was near uniform agreement event that early that he was the putative starter and "ready", compared to the rest of the roster. No one was saying--"hey, he's too raw, not ready".

It is trolling.

If someone else would have posted this WEO would've responded with "So you want the Bills to model what the Jets are doing?"

You miss the point. It's not that we should emulate the Jets. It's to point out that even the suggestion of drafting another QB to compete with EJ is bringing many posters to apoplexy. The Bills are "invested" in EJ and they shouldn't mess with his mind, or some other such nonsense.

With this thread, I am just pointing out how a division rival, another bad team with a shaky rookie QB, has gone in the opposite direction by announcing, essentially, their intent to open a QB competition next springand it will likely include a rookie QB.

That's pretty much all I was getting at and I had no idea it would be that hard to figure out by some.

This part is totally reasonable btw.

Thanks.

Bills have no qualms picking a QB at 9, either, if that QB is a better prospect than EJ Manuel. No qualms at all.

Is anyone really that delusional to think all eight teams before us in the draft are gonna let such a QB prospect fall? It would have to be a day one starting, blue chip prospect. No way that happens.

GO BILLS!!!

I've really never written end/thread before, but there is no reason not to after that post.

I think a lot of the hedging has to do with the fact that EJ missed over 6 regular season games this year after missing half the preseason.

Besides stunting his development that makes people uneasy about his durability.

I'm not the least bit surprised that many are withholding judgement on EJ, it's the sensible thing to do. I think a lot more people would be definitive about EJ one way or the other had he played the full schedule.

However I also think it's ridiculous to write him off as many are doing.

Agreed...

I would not write EJ off whatsoever...But I do think, especially in this coming Draft, there may be a QB the Bills like so much they do whatever it takes to get him...Which may mean using a 1st Round Pick...And to be honest I'm OK with that...Because even though it's SO early in the process, I have my personal favorite, and if I was the Bills GM I would do what I had to in order to get the kid... The good news is, with my guy the Bills could likely trade down a bit, grab an extra 2nd round pick, and still get him...Maybe even with their high 2nd...

My Guy is McCarron...I'm a Michigan fan...I saw almost every game Tom Brady played in College...I absolutely LOVED Brady at Michigan...And even though I knew Brady would not be a high Draft pick, I could never understand why he slid so much...That was before all this spread and read option became popular...It was still a league where you looked for a good drop-back QB...I figured Brady was no worse than a 3rd round pick...To me he was a gamer...He never had the best arm, and everyone knows he was never the best athlete...But he was always the best QB...And he continued to get better...McCarron reminds me of Brady...I was reading the other day that MCCarron was concerned about his 3rd Down efficiency this year through 4 games so he worked hard to improve in that category...He then went out and completed 76.5% of his 3rd down passes, and converted over 65% of those 3rd downs in the next 4 games...During that time McCarron threw 99 passes without throwing an INT...

Now...I realize McCarron had some major advantages...And by no means am I saying he does not have work to do...But I think the kid is eventually going to work his way into being one of the best...I really do...He'll have to land in a good situation...But if he does I think he's going to be better than EJ for sure...And I like EJ...

So...I'll more than understand if the Bills fall head over heels for another QB and Draft one high...And if they do like one well enough they should go ahead and Draft him...QB is still King... B-)

AJ mccarron will be somewhere between Todd Collins and Philip Rivers. Very similar attributes

There's about 3000 miles between those two so you are probably right about McCarron.

I think a lot of the hedging has to do with the fact that EJ missed over 6 regular season games this year after missing half the preseason.

Besides stunting his development that makes people uneasy about his durability.

I'm not the least bit surprised that many are withholding judgement on EJ, it's the sensible thing to do. I think a lot more people would be definitive about EJ one way or the other had he played the full schedule.

However I also think it's ridiculous to write him off as many are doing.

Hmmmmm, his injuries were one of the key reasons people used then to tell me how out of my mind I was. Now the injuries are the reason that it is ok to look at a QB.