Jets have no qualms about drafting another QB...

Mr. WEO

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, it's funny how so many are now hedging their bets. When I dared to mention that Manuel wasn't developing and the Bills would be wise to look hard at a QB early in the draft y'all told me I was crazy. EJ's developing fine you said. He missed time, but, no he's not injury prone. The Bills would be daft to consider a QB early in the draft. This was probably around week 8 or 9.

Funny to see how everyone has changed their tune. Now he's a project everyone knew that all along.Now if a can't miss prospect is there you take him. At least you're all consistent.

This was posted in April:

<p>

Mysterious owl

• av-6692.jpg?_r=0
  • Members
  • pip.pngpip.pngpip.pngpip.pngpip.png
  • 6,736 posts

•  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

snapback.png

Lurker, on 29 April 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Ramius, you obviously have watched FSU and EJ a lot.

What do you make of this piece (and why do so many 'Noles fans seem to be down on Manuel)?

Excellent read. For those who haven't yet taken the time to read it, below is a quote:

He really doesn't have a good feel for the game. Manuel is very slow to recognize and react on the field. He doesn't recognize blitzes well, doesn't sense pressure (making it too late to use his athleticism to avoid it), is often slow to get through his reads, and struggles to read coverage in general, both pre and post-snap.

FSU had to dumb down its offense a lot for Manuel, as Alan and I have noted many times when people claimed it was too complicated. The reason for this, IMO, is because of his lack of mental ability on the field. But don't take my word for it. Here is Mike Mayock, head scout for the NFL Network:

. . . .

"And as for me, E.J. Manuel didn't get asked to do a lot [at Florida State], and I don't think you can ding the kid. A lot of people say, ‘Oh, can he read defenses?' But I don't think they asked him to do it a lot. So we don't really know that.

[Emphasis mine] Mayock says that FSU didn't ask Manuel to do much, but from my perspective, the reason behind this is important: he never demonstrated that he could handle more.

Manuel also struggles to throw with anticipation.
The next time he bangs the post route before the receiver breaks open will be the first. He is very much a rudimentary "see it, throw it" player. That doesn't work well in the NFL. In the league, certain routes demand that the ball comes out before the receiver is open or out of his break.

Interesting. Same comments being made now...

http://nypost.com/20...qb-competition/

They don't feel their top pick/franchise QB is as precious as others'.

Geno was not their top pick and was not drafted in the first round

I fully expect the Bills to take a QB in this years draft but I dont expect them to use a first or second round pick on one

Edited by Max997

Ya know, it's funny how so many are now hedging their bets. When I dared to mention that Manuel wasn't developing and the Bills would be wise to look hard at a QB early in the draft y'all told me I was crazy. EJ's developing fine you said. He missed time, but, no he's not injury prone. The Bills would be daft to consider a QB early in the draft. This was probably around week 8 or 9.

Funny to see how everyone has changed their tune. Now he's a project everyone knew that all along.Now if a can't miss prospect is there you take him. At least you're all consistent.

I still remain optimistic and think they should surround him with more, give him more time, and take a QB next year... and haven't changed. I just hope you are all wrong, not so I can be "right" - I haven't stated a case one way or the other - but just because I want him/the team to be successful. But I have noticed the board as a whole shift to the way of the thinking as you have described and definitely feel in the minority.

I got that. But one team announced to the press (check out the headline) that they will be looking at QBs. The other team has told their QB he is the starter next year and didn't mention they would be looking specifically at his competitor and potential replacement. Huge difference

The "Silly Season" has started for teams not in the playoffs. I take with "a grain of salt" what any team says about draft needs, position upgrades or any comment on any draftable player.

Edited by LancasterSteve

I don't see a whole lot of change of people's opinions. People are still saying he was a rookie and should give him time. Sure it's been mentioned if there is a can't miss QB prospect you take them. That has more to do with a philosophy about drafting not changing their mind on EJ I would think. I don't think there is a can't miss prospect in this draft at QB and even if there was the Bills have no shot at one. Therefore I don't think the Bills will be drafting a QB in the 1st and look for the Bills to build around EJ.

That's being said are you saying it's not ok for one to change ones mind?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Similar to the narrative that Kolb was signed to be the starter so Manuel could sit behind him. Not many first rounders the past 3 drafts who are picked and subsequently sit major time behind a veteran. I dare say Manuel was there to start from day 1, but they wanted someone pushing him in camp. Fine, but the guy pushing had a significant injury history that repeated itself twice in the span of a month.

Doubt an elite QB falls to pick 9. In the likely scenario that one doesn't, I'd try to sign Vick. He's better than any of the QB's on our roster. He supposedly just wants a chance to start and I doubt Manuel would scare him away.

holy cow, no.

Doubt an elite QB falls to pick 9. In the likely scenario that one doesn't, I'd try to sign Vick. He's better than any of the QB's on our roster. He supposedly just wants a chance to start and I doubt Manuel would scare him away.

This is interesting. EJ, Vick, and Lewis. Best man win. All similar styles.

If Vick doesn't win the job hopefully the old vet can teach ej and Thad some tricks of the trade.

They just have to throw him a bone..

As long as they lock up the border collies..

Edited by BUNCH OF MULARKEY

I think a lot of the hedging has to do with the fact that EJ missed over 6 regular season games this year after missing half the preseason.

Besides stunting his development that makes people uneasy about his durability.

I'm not the least bit surprised that many are withholding judgement on EJ, it's the sensible thing to do. I think a lot more people would be definitive about EJ one way or the other had he played the full schedule.

However I also think it's ridiculous to write him off as many are doing.

Don't have to write EJ off. But the durability issues are real (unless Marrone had alterior motives for not having him play in NE).

QB draftees are cheap and there is a good group this year. They should absolutely take one to compete for the starting job, not some guy to stash on the PS.