Bills get pick 9

ANOTHER WR? What great WRs does this team already have?

I believe that Robert Woods will develop into a good starting WR and I think that Marquise Goodwin may become a decent contributing WR. I think that Stevie Johnson is an average-to-above-average WR, but certainly isn't a "go-to playmaker". As the roster stands with the current level of experience (ie, at this time in Woods' and Goodwins' careers),

I would speculate that the Bills WR group is in the bottom 25% of the NFL.

Agreed.

Of our top 4 wideouts, 2 were unproven rookies and 1 is a struggling 2nd year player.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're up early. Or is this a 2 day New Years Eve binge? ; )

And, the OTHER one is an increasing disappointment..

The usual wakeup time.

Gotta drive up to Emeryville and then Dublin after that.

Another long day in the saddle.

Yeah, TJ has a case for being one of the worst Bills draft picks in a long time.

When you consider who the Bills passed up at that pick. Then add to that the sad fact that the Bills burned another draft pick to trade up two picks to draft him. That was Buddy Nix's worst moment right there.

At least when he passed on Kaepernick/Dalton he got a good player in Aaron Williams but with regards to the TJ Graham pick, there isn't even any semblance of a silver lining.

Plus we already have 17 tires.

Mosely and only Mosely in the first. OL and TE are the priorities after that.

How can people look at Woods, Goodwin and Stevie and say we need to pick Evans?

I don't disagree with the larger premise, though I'm not sure that Mosely is the true thumper that allows us to move Kiko to the wide field LB where his athleticism would shine; he strikes me as being a near Kiko clone in terms of his game (not that there's anything wrong with that [/sienfeld])

I think I'd prefer a top tier safety or d-lineman in round 1, assuming a top end option at RT isn't available (Pears moves to swing or transition him to Guard).

Second round look for best available at OG, TE, RT assuming one isn't taken at 1, then look to either Shane Skov or Andrew Jackson in the 3rd.

I don't disagree with the larger premise, though I'm not sure that Mosely is the true thumper that allows us to move Kiko to the wide field LB where his athleticism would shine; he strikes me as being a near Kiko clone in terms of his game (not that there's anything wrong with that [/sienfeld])

I think I'd prefer a top tier safety or d-lineman in round 1, assuming a top end option at RT isn't available (Pears moves to swing or transition him to Guard).

Second round look for best available at OG, TE, RT assuming one isn't taken at 1, then look to either Shane Skov or Andrew Jackson in the 3rd.

If they go this way, they need to get a play making WR in FA. While I think Woods is going to be pretty good, Stevie is only above average. This WR group doesn't compare well with most in the NFL and there is no true play maker that makes big catches at the big times in games.

Compare this group to Chicago'a for instance. Both Marshall and Jeffries are big-time and make a couple of spectacular catches seemingly every game the Bills do not get that from any of their WRs, though Woods does have good hands.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Yeah, TJ has a case for being one of the worst Bills draft picks in a long time.

I am going to give you a chance to take this back, depending on your definition of "a long time." :)

TJ was a literal steal in the draft as compared to Whitner and Maybin. I could name many others. Btw, TJ WAS a bad pick but remember, we are talking about the Bills!

Happy New Year!!!

I can't say I have watched a ton of Mosley footage, but I did watch a Youtube video of every play against LSU. Nothing really stood out, he seemed alright, but nothing dominant. Not notably fast or big. Seems like Courtney Upshaw....not a #9 pick.

I am going to give you a chance to take this back, depending on your definition of "a long time." :)

TJ was a literal steal in the draft as compared to Whitner and Maybin. I could name many others. Btw, TJ WAS a bad pick but remember, we are talking about the Bills!

Happy New Year!!!

Is that the same Whitner from the Pro Bowl? Or was it the one from the Super Bowl?

Happy New Year!!!

Actually that's a subject better not to broach. I'm not sure Scott has enough server space to accommodate that thread.

Happy New Year Bill!

One is worthless without the other. We have who they think is the franchise QB so build the O-line. If we get a solid line and the QB still sucks then we address that later.

if we added the best offensive lineman in the league.....we might get 1 more win next year.

if we added the best QB in the league......we might get 5 more wins next year.

EJ Manuel is NEVER going to be a Top 10 QB in this league. also, the way he runs, he will constantly be injured and miss games.

so, what comes first, the chicken or the egg ??

if a QB who i thought was better than EJ is there at #9, i would pick the QB in a heartbeat.

absent that, then the next best thing is to upgrade the O-line.

EJ Manuel is NEVER going to be a Top 10 QB in this league.....

You have made this same statement countless times in the last couple of weeks. Do you think that you could perhaps preface it with something like "In my view".....and reduce the capitals of the word "never" as well? You know.....change it from an emotionally driven crusade point that does not brook argument, to that of a firm opinion that gives others some sort of respect for them to differ with it.

Edited by Dibs

You have made this same statement countless times in the last couple of weeks. Do you think that you could perhaps preface it with something like "In my view".....and reduce the capitals of the word "never" as well? You know.....change it from an emotionally driven crusade point that does not brook argument, to that of a firm opinion that gives others some sort of respect to differ with it.

Amen.

Every day I come here and read the deluge of negativity directed towards EJ Manuel.

I've asked questions to posters which never get answered.

I wonder why?

Here's another opportunity:

According to this list, EJ Manuel just completed (statistically) the 10th best rookie season by any rookie QB since 1992. His 77.7 passer rating puts him between Jeff Garcia and Carson Palmer.

http://www.sportingc...t-20-years.aspx

Now I'm not a big stats guy but I consider myself a good observer of the NFL and numbers aside, I thought EJ had an excellent rookie season.

But getting back to the numbers, how does one explain EJ being one of the Top 10 Rookie QBs of the last 22 years?

Here's another of my unanswered points:

Here's a list of the most recent first round QBs and where they were drafted:

Matthew Stafford 1st overall 2009

Mark Sanchez 5th overall 2009

Josh Freeman 17th overall 2009

Sam Bradford 1st overall 2010

Tim Tebow 25th overall 2010

Cam Newton 1st overall 2011

Jake Locker 8th overall 2011

Blaine Gabbert 10th overall 2011

Christian Ponder 12th overall 2011

Andrew Luck 1st overall 2012

RG3 2nd overall 2012

Ryan Tannehill 8th overall 2012

Brandon Weeden 22nd overall 2012

Only two of those players have established themselves as bona fide quality NFL starters, Stafford and Newton. Both of those guys were taken first overall.

Of the other players drafted in the Top 5, it's looking very likely that Luck and RG3 will have great careers and it's looking more and more certain that Sanchez and Bradford are gonna be busts.

Then you have players taken outside the top 5 where EJ was selected:

Josh Freeman, Tim Tebow, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Ryan Tannehill, and Brandon Weeden.

I would take EJ over any of those guys. Only Tannehill and Locker have an argument and Locker is in his 3rd NFL season.

Then you consider how well EJ has played especially considering he missed half the preseason and 5 weeks of the regular season.

Then you consider that the Bills traded down and still got Manuel.

Then you realize that people posting on this board and expressing disappointment in EJ's rookie season really have no idea what they're talking about because they have no idea what a rookie QB in the NFL is realistically expected to do.

Again, most of the people saying negative things about EJ Manuel simply have no clue as to how to judge a rookie NFL quarterback. They're simply frustrated Bills fans who need to let the world know that they're unhappy. JMO.

Is that the same Whitner from the Pro Bowl? Or was it the one from the Super Bowl?

Well...I would not say one Pro Bowl in his 7th season is exactly setting the world on fire either...

Considering the fact that the Bills were in need of help at DT in 2006, and they passed a guy that seemed to be the most obvious pick there...And that guy went on to become a 5 time (so far) All-Pro and SB Champ...It's still safe to say it was a pretty crappy pick...Whitner has proven he's a decent player when he's surrounded by incredible talent...But he'll never be a #8 overall-type talent...Of course it's not his fault he was Drafted that high...But still... B-)

Amen.

Every day I come here and read the deluge of negativity directed towards EJ Manuel.

I wonder why?

According to this list, EJ Manuel just completed (statistically) the 10th best rookie season by any rookie QB since 1992. His 77.7 passer rating puts him between Jeff Garcia and Carson Palmer.

Now I'm not a big stats guy but I consider myself a good observer of the NFL and numbers aside, I thought EJ had an excellent rookie season.

But getting back to the numbers, how does one explain EJ being one of the Top 10 Rookie QBs of the last 22 years?

RG3 2nd overall 2012

Only two of those players have established themselves as bona fide quality NFL starters, Stafford and Newton. Both of those guys were taken first overall.

Of the other players drafted in the Top 5, it's looking very likely that Luck and RG3 will have great careers and it's looking more and more certain that Sanchez and Bradford are gonna be busts.

Then you have players taken outside the top 5 where EJ was selected:

Josh Freeman, Tim Tebow, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Ryan Tannehill, and Brandon Weeden.

I would take EJ over any of those guys. Only Tannehill and Locker have an argument and Locker is in his 3rd NFL season.

Then you consider how well EJ has played especially considering he missed half the preseason and 5 weeks of the regular season.

Then you consider that the Bills traded down and still got Manuel.

Then you realize that people posting on this board and expressing disappointment in EJ's rookie season really have no idea what they're talking about because they have no idea what a rookie QB in the NFL is realistically expected to do.

Again, most of the people saying negative things about EJ Manuel simply have no clue as to how to judge a rookie NFL quarterback. They're simply frustrated Bills fans who need to let the world know that they're unhappy. JMO.

It's not about EJ Manuel

The Bills have statistically had (via PFF)close to the worst QB perfomance over the past two years

We are a 9-12 win team with a franchise QB

Now isn't the time to invest 2-3 years waiting to see if EJ can develop, maybe he's the guy mayb he isn't

Outside of signing a Jay Cutler you keep throwing high picks at the postion until you are positive have one. Period

The clock doesn't start until we solve this problem...any picks spent on an OL or a WR are a WASTE OF @##@# EVERYONE'S TIME

Keep throwing darts until you have a franchise QB...then we can worry about finding Linebacker and big speedy receivers

I'm with you on that. Whitner was a decent football player; Maybin was a disaster. Mike Williams and Maybin are in the same class. Whitner gets a bad rap around here.

Whitner has been a very good player this year.

Not so much last year....though his overall struggles were masked somewhat by the NFL's premier front 7 in 2012. He was not even a *good* player for the Bills.

Being humiliated in the Super Bowl.....cut from the herd like a sick water buffalo by Joe Flacco....singled out as the weak link in the defense...finally humbled him into learning how to play the pass.

Amen.

I wonder why?

RG3 2nd overall 2012

season ending Top 10 QB highest Passer Rating:

#1 - Nick Foles ( 3rd round)

#2 - Peyton Manning (1st round, 1st overall)

#3 - Josh McCown ( 3rd round)

#4 - Philip Rivers (1st round, 4th overall)

#5 - Aaron Rodgers (1st round, 24th overall)

#6 - Drew Brees (2nd round)

#7 - Russell Wilson (3rd round)

#8 - Tony Romo (undrafted)

#9 - Ben Roethlisberger (1st round, 11th overall)

#10- Colin Kaepernick (2nd round)

only 2 of 10 QB's were selected before the 9th overall pick.

only 4 of 10 QB's were selected in 1st round.

one of your points: Only two of those players have established themselves as bona fide quality NFL starters, Stafford and Newton. Both of those guys were taken first overall.

Edited by papazoid

season ending Top 10 QB highest Passer Rating:

#1 - Nick Foles ( 3rd round)

#2 - Peyton Manning (1st round, 1st overall)

#3 - Josh McCown ( 3rd round)

#4 - Philip Rivers (1st round, 4th overall)

#5 - Aaron Rodgers (1st round, 24th overall)

#6 - Drew Brees (2nd round)

#7 - Russell Wilson (3rd round)

#8 - Tony Romo (undrafted)

#9 - Ben Roethlisberger (1st round, 11th overall)

#10- Colin Kaepernick (2nd round)

only 2 of 10 QB's were selected before the 9th overall pick.

only 4 of 10 QB's were selected in 1st round.

one of your points: Only two of those players have established themselves as bona fide quality NFL starters, Stafford and Newton. Both of those guys were taken first overall.

any QB rating system that omits Tom Brady from the top 10 is worse than useless. Edited by mannc