Does Fred Jackson merit wall of fame?

Once we finally get one hot Jill, she should immediately go on the wall; a rare breed indeed. :w00t:

I definitely see Kyle Williams going on that wall one day - especially if he stays here another couple of years.

Like others have mentioned, there are others in line before Freddy is even considered.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this ... Let's stop putting marginal talents like Phil Hansen on the wall. Moorman and Jackson do not belong on the wall before Gilchrist and Saban. It should be for special players. Aaron Schobel is the only player of the last 15 years that was close to special. Second all time in sacks. Two pro-bowls.

I will eventually start a thread on it this off season when we have nothing else to do because this dilemma is so unfortunate. Do we celebrate mediocre players from the good times? Do we go back to the beginning and put up some golden oldies? I forgot who the couple were since they were before my time but there are certainly some deserving players Bills related folks who deserve recognition.

Now, a disclaimer is simple. I do not want to have PR stunts that make us honor a Buffalo Jill who overcame _____ and now teaches children in 3rd world nations how to eat Vegan and I do not want to put up Frank Reich or Darrick Holmes. We appreciate almost every player that has worn a Bills buffalo but we need to keep the water clean and pure and not murk it up.

Its certainly an interesting debate... who goes up? what's deserving? Its certainly better off season discussion than most of what this board devolves into. :)

3rd all time rusher? How is this even debatable?

FJ is one of my all time favorite Bills, but while he may be the 3rd all time rusher, he isn't even close to the first 2....not in the same league. He's a great team member, but I don't think he lives up to the guys currently on the wall. I would like to see him there someday.

right now Fred's career numbers over seven seasons are:

5,067 rushing yards, 27 rushing TD

2,086 rec yds, 6 rec TD

he has only one 1,000 yard rushing season, zero 10 TD seasons, and zero pro bowls

if the wall of fame is for greatness, on paper it looks like fred is missing the mark

however, there is something about freddy - from his unlikely path to the nfl to his quiet professional demeanor to his toughness to his work ethic - there is something about freddy that sort of embodies the spirit of the try-hard buffalo bills

nonetheless, to me, when i review the names on the bills wall of fame, as of right now fred jackson has not done enough to go up

there are 27 people on the bills wall of fame currently

one third of them are NFL hall of famers

most all of the others are multi time pro bowlers

as for the recent trends on the wall of fame, here are those inducted since 2000:

2012 Bill Polian

2011 Phil Hansen

2010 Booker Edgerson

2008 Bruce Smith

2007 Steve Tasker

2006 Andre Reed

2005 Thurman Thomas

2004 Jim Ritcher

2003 Darryl Talley

2002 Kent Hull

2000 George Saimes

2001 Fred Smerlas

2001 Jim Kelly

you just can't put fred jackson in the same category as these players realistically - even though he is a very likable guy and fan favorite

It's not all about stats. You don't think Fred would have had better stats if he had played on better teams? What would Freddy's career have looked like if he lined up in the backfield with Jim Kelly back in the 90s? His numbers may not say it emphatically enough but he's one of the best Bills I can remember. And a class act and a loyal Bill.

How about this ... Let's stop putting marginal talents like Phil Hansen on the wall. Moorman and Jackson do not belong on the wall before Gilchrist and Saban. It should be for special players. Aaron Schobel is the only player of the last 15 years that was close to special. Second all time in sacks. Two pro-bowls.

I didn't know Hansen was on there. No he shouldn't be. I agree on Schobel, before even considering K Williams

Add Biscuit to that list

Bennett made a lot Pro Bowls, and was an impact player similar but not as good as LT. Still I wonder why he never comes up in HOF voting. 5 Pro Bowls, 3 time All Pro and 2 time AFC Defensive Player of the Year. That is a hell of a list

Maybe the same for Ruben Brown. 9 Pro Bowls, 4 time All Pro

Why do you keep comparing Fred Jackson to players that died an untimely early death?

First you compared him to Bob Kalsu and Pat Tillman who both died in military service.

Don Fleming died at 25. Piccolo died at 26. Jerome Brown made his two pro bowls before he died at 27.

I agree... DPBEAR, you're helping to make Noodle's point, not rebutting it

absolutely, emphatically, oh hell yeah! fred jackson is everything that is good about this game. he is a role model, an exemplary member of the community, a family man, and by all accounts, a great teammate and leader. he has worked his butt off and earned everything he has achieved, and has been nothing but a class act. he gives everything he has for his teammates and has played through injury time and time again. this man is the embodiment of the very idea that we love to call a "buffalo type of player". i love freddy jackson and really feel he needs to be on the wall the day he retires. and this organization better make sure he retires a buffalo bill.

Amen to ALL of this.

I agree... DPBEAR, you're helping to make Noodle's point, not rebutting it

Sigh.

My point: NFL teams can put whomever they want on a wall. War vets. Deceased players. Fans that make up fictional men.

The Bills can put Thad Lewis on the Wall this Sunday if they want to.

The football stats are completely meaningless and perhaps irrelevant. It doesn't matter how many touchdowns or yards Fred Jackson has. If Ralph or the team wants him on *their* Wall, he's on said Wall.

Fred Jackson has become one of my all-time favorite Bills.

But I would like to see the following go up on the wall prior (if ever), Jackson does:

= Cookie Gilchrist

= Bobby Chandler

= Lou Saban

I loved Bobby Chandler too, he make some great catches. But Moulds did way more than he did.

Cookie and Saban won't go on until Ralph passes. But I would bet Moulds goes on before Chandler.