Alex Carrington.... i don't get it

Webster Guy

I'm thinking they should at least give him (and Troupe) a fair chance to compete in training camp before cutting them both loose or working out a trade for whatever they can get for either or both.

Troup was cut this preseason. No one picked him up.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He, like others, on the D dis not have quality and consistency on coaching. Thi year, past underachievers such as McK played much better than they ever have. We did not get a chance to ee what Pettine could so with AC. again, if he has a relatively good price tag, I say we try to keep him. Do we need to remember the days of Tim Anderson to understand a good value?

Good point. /\

How much do you do for a guy with 9 starts in 4 years?

I think the Bills need more O line help than D line.

Not sure how much a backup DE is worth?

I think he was playing pretty well at the end if last year. But I agree with you. I really don't see him as some irreplaceable piece. Honestly, I don't think he will be a Bill next year.

I dont know about him drawing interest from other teams but Marrone has mentioned him numerous times while he has been injured .

I think they want to keep him also with Branch now secured . He brings another dimension to the depth chart.

I think Mario Williams will be a budget decision asap.(not this coming season though ? )

He hasn't really excelled in this defense, something many others have. Since he serves no obvious role on defense, he's probably gone at the end of the season.

he hasnt really played in this defense

What is not stated here is that besides Carrington, we have been injury-free on the front 7. It is easy to point how his absence was not missed but one injury on the front 4 would have been a big problem. I havent seen enough of any backup to feel comfortable . AC is home grown, hard worker while not spectacular.

I would favor signing him to a reasonable contract worthy of a good backup.

Thanks for the clarity!

He hasn't really excelled in this defense, something many others have. Since he serves no obvious role on defense, he's probably gone at the end of the season.

He has shown to be a very good run stopper, very good pass deflector and a decent pass rusher PLUS a very good player on special teams (FG block unit).

Just because he doesn't have 10+ sacks/year doesn't mean he isn't good.

The Bills were trying to re-sign him before he got hurt, so I think it's fair to say the team at least wants him back. Let's not forget that he was an opening day starter on a very deep defensive line. Bringing Alex back gives the Bills a lot of guys to rotate in without the need to spend a draft pick.

I feel bad for Carrington.

Ever since he's been with the Bills he has been a player without a position. Through no fault of his own.

He's gone from Defensive End to Defensive Tackle to Linebacker(I'll never understand why) back to Defensive End.

Now he's had a serious injury and he'll be a free agent, but he will more likely end up getting a smaller contract.

It's because of the unknown future of Carrington, that I have stated before that the Bills should draft a DE with their first pick in the draft.

I know we have a solid line, but Mario & Branch will be 29 & Hughes is not an every down player. We need to have some youth at the DE position. I think guys like Bryant & Charles are primarily back-up players.

A guy like Stephon Tuitt would be a great pick for the Bills. Unless they take Khalil Mack, which would be a great move too. But the DE position should be looked at for the future.

I agree with the OP.

We have three very good interior linemen. Carrington has shown sparks, but not consistent play. I think the Bills can re-sign him fairly easily if they want to, but they might not want to due to the fact that they already have three good guys and could fill in depth with cheaper talent (not that Alex will be super expensive).

I agree with the OP.

We have three very good interior linemen. Carrington has shown sparks, but not consistent play. I think the Bills can re-sign him fairly easily if they want to, but they might not want to due to the fact that they already have three good guys and could fill in depth with cheaper talent (not that Alex will be super expensive).

lets review the current line up ? For the defensive line and we could not include jerry hughes and mario williams because they are truly pass rushers.

Even with the most excellent resigning of A Branch , who is playing a five tech.

Should i cue Jboys here to review ? There are some other fine folks her who could tell us why Carrington could be a valuable asset if healthy . in this defensive designed by Mike Pettine .

So we got Branch now. I have heard of callings to draft a true NT also . Doesnt Branch fill that role well enough ?

Carrington in my opinion has not played enough under the current regime to make any clear statement about.

if they like him still sign him. Simple enough

Some folks here have a Eugene Parker hangover. Rightly so , but Bills wont overpay for what appears a rotational guy .

I think the big reason for the stink is that Parker is his agent, and the Bills just hired an alternative.

The man had a lot of bad luck with all the scheme changes, and I think that his role as a tweener DT/DE is good if Pettine wants to gradually increase the complexity of the offense. I would like to see him back, and competing with Branch for the starting job.

I wouldn't overpay him. Fortunately, due to his bumpy ride I don't think he'll get as much money anywhere else.

I'm having trouble understanding why so many people seem to think Alex Carrington is such a good football player and will command big money on the free agent market.

The guy has 9 starts in FOUR nfl seasons. He has 4 career sacks and just seem very average to me. (i'll give you the fact that he's an awesome field goal blocker)

D line seems so shored up now with the signing of Branch, I don't see where this is going to fit in anymore.

I think he's good. I think the Bills should resign him. No Way do I think he commands big money...

its not just bills fans over rating him...the other teams we play mention him a lot too. I think he's a late bloomer asked to have a different role, hope he comes back

That other teams mention him says a lot. He is a big powerful player with good movement skills for a 300 pounder. He has good awareness in the pass rush with a knack for blocking/deflecting passes. He is good against the run.

He isn't all-pro, but I think that he is quite valuable. I hope that they can retain him and that he comes back fully healthy.

Well, I think if Carrington demands too much, he will be walked out the front door. If he has a reasonable pricetag as a backup to starter type player, then he will return. We will need backups at the least and he's better than a backup. Will be a starter somewhere. If we can get him somewhere in the middle, it's worth it.

Edited by mrags

i dont think anyone really thinks hes going to be a break the bank player, or that hes irreplaceable.

I think...Had he stayed healthy...Alex might have played his way into a big enough deal to assure he priced himself out of Buffalo...But now that's completely up in the air...I definitely like Carrington...Maybe a bit more than others around here...I think had he played all year, once he got used to this new Defense, he would have been a really big piece down the stretch...And still can be if he comes back...I'm thinking the best thing for him may be to take a one year deal with the Bills if he does not get an outrageous offer elsewhere...If Carrington comes back I think the Bills are 100% set at D-Line, and they can cross that off the needs list...I'm really hoping he comes back to Buffalo and stays healthy next year...Can't have enough athletes on that D-Line...And Carrington at 100% is a solid player who can make plays in the backfield from time to time...That being said I'm quite sure the extension to Branch was an insurance policy in case Carrington moves on... B-)

Carrington has not been a part of any big defensive success. I would speculate that he will garner some little interest around the league. IF anybody is willing to take the chance with big money ,he will be gone. We lost Sam cowert to the Jets a few years back, big money deal, the Bills did not match because he was coming off injury. Cowart ate up cap space and did not much else in NY for a few years....he was constantly hurt. Same with Jonas Jennings....78 mil in SF....and didn't play many games in 3 years...injury prone. All in all, I am doubtful that Carrington will be here next year, mostly because Parker likes to stick it to the imcombent teams.....to maintain his reputation. I doubt that he has the interest of his clients at heart all the time. Now Byrd/Parker....I am thinking that the Byrd man is gone. And, although he is competant with what, 4 picks, I would point out that Leonard and Williams also both have 4 picks playing in those safety slots. Not sure the incremental benefit is worth the big bucks. And, Byrd is slow.....I saw Bradham run Byrd down and pass him in pursuit of a TB running back. Hard for me to see the big bucks for Bryd, him being that slow.

Carrington was the best D lineman last year to me. I thought he was really coming on as a force. Seeing as the Bills vaunted 6-9 defense still sucks against the run, I think the Bills should be interested in anyone who has shown ability to stop it.