Alan Branch Signs Extension

FluffHead

Miami may not be considered a great team, but they're making a push for the playoffs. So are the Ravens. The Chiefs are in it. The Patriots are also in it and so are the Panthers. All teams which we have either beaten or came very close to beating.

I honestly believe our defense is the reason for all of our wins this year. We need to fix the offense mightily if we are to contend next year. I'm actually excited for free agency and the draft. No matter what your opinion of Marrone is, the guy has brought exciting football back to BUFFALO (AT LEAST DEFENSIVELY).

Some may say it's Pettine, but Marrone had to have something to do with drafting Kiko, Woods and picking up Robey undrafted. I'm disappointed not to have seen any play from Duke Williams and the other safety we picked up due to injury but at least we've gotten some excellent play from Aaron, Leonhard and Byrd. With those 3 guys still here next year hopefully, safety is not a position of need.

On the signing of Branch, I'm very pleased. It's like he said in the interview, he may not have the statistic numbers, but he knows his role and winning is the only stat he cares about. I see him all over the field. Since the beginning of the season I would ask myself, who's number 90? Now I know for sure. Good signing.

I really hope we can fix the offensive issues next year. Go Bills.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful. This is a clear indication that this team means business and that Doug Whaley doesn't mess around. This guy was an absolute steal in FA and rather than sitting back and hoping he resigns with us, Whaley gets proactive and does it even before week 17. Love it.

Very happy with this move. Besides Jairus Byrd, he was the 2014 free agent that I was most worried about losing.

I really can't see the Bills making much of an offer to Alex Carrington. He's been hurt almost the entire season, and the defensive line never missed a beat. In fact, I think it was a little better with Branch. The coaches also seem to really like Corbin Bryant and Stefan Charles as rotational linemen.

Very happy with this move. Besides Jairus Byrd, he was the 2014 free agent that I was most worried about losing.

I really can't see the Bills making much of an offer to Alex Carrington. He's been hurt almost the entire season, and the defensive line never missed a beat. In fact, I think it was a little better with Branch. The coaches also seem to really like Corbin Bryant and Stefan Charles as rotational linemen.

Let's not discredit Carrington now. He's done his part when on the field and I'm looking forward to his return.

Let's not discredit Carrington now. He's done his part when on the field and I'm looking forward to his return.

I think people are more concerned with Parker as his agent.

I am willing to bet the Bills will make Carrington and Parker an offer before FA begins. It will be contingent on Carrington signing before FA. Once FA starts the offer would be pulled. Parker then will have to decide what to do.

I love Branch coming back. I would like Carrington too, but for FMV for a guy with very little resume. As others have stated a one year $2-3mil deal would be more then fair. Let Carrington show what he has. It would probably mean next offseason he signs a multi-year deal with someone else.

IIRC, Lawson signed a multi-year deal with the Bills. He's good for at least two more seasons.

Just checked, he signed for four years.

Yeah, realized this after I posted. Rotoworld had Dareus as a FA after the 2014 season. Maybe time to lock him up now? Especially with him being in contention for the pro bowl.

Excellent news, really.

Three things to consider.

Branch likes the system, the coaching staff and his teammates, it says a lot about the team. Glad that we won't need to worry about another hole to fill in FA.

As much as I like Carrington and I thought this was going to be a great year for him, he has zero leverage going into FA, as theBandit27 said, his best bet is to sign a one year deal and go from there.

We are solidifying, keeping or building the team from the inside out, hopefully the OL is next in line for some improvements.

I think people are more concerned with Parker as his agent.

I am willing to bet the Bills will make Carrington and Parker an offer before FA begins. It will be contingent on Carrington signing before FA. Once FA starts the offer would be pulled. Parker then will have to decide what to do.

I love Branch coming back. I would like Carrington too, but for FMV for a guy with very little resume. As others have stated a one year $2-3mil deal would be more then fair. Let Carrington show what he has. It would probably mean next offseason he signs a multi-year deal with someone else.

The business side of things is the business side of things. I just don't want anyone discrediting Carrington for his on field presence based on Parker being his agent. His reme is little I agree. But having is on the team is better than not having him. The defense hasn't been "better" as mjt328 said "because" of Carrington's absence. It's been better because of the system. We have proof of the system being better with the play of Aaron Williams, Dareus and McKelvin.

I just don't want people to say stuff like, oh because Carrington got hurt, the defense got better. That's nonsense to me.

The business side of things is the business side of things. I just don't want anyone discrediting Carrington for his on field presence based on Parker being his agent. His reme is little I agree. But having is on the team is better than not having him. The defense hasn't been "better" as mjt328 said "because" of Carrington's absence. It's been better because of the system. We have proof of the system being better with the play of Aaron Williams, Dareus and McKelvin.

I just don't want people to say stuff like, oh because Carrington got hurt, the defense got better. That's nonsense to me.

I never said it was better "because" of Carrington's absence. I said it seemed better with Alan Branch getting more reps.

Miami may not be considered a great team, but they're making a push for the playoffs. So are the Ravens. The Chiefs are in it. The Patriots are also in it and so are the Panthers. All teams which we have either beaten or came very close to beating.

I honestly believe our defense is the reason for all of our wins this year. We need to fix the offense mightily if we are to contend next year. I'm actually excited for free agency and the draft. No matter what your opinion of Marrone is, the guy has brought exciting football back to BUFFALO (AT LEAST DEFENSIVELY).

Some may say it's Pettine, but Marrone had to have something to do with drafting Kiko, Woods and picking up Robey undrafted. I'm disappointed not to have seen any play from Duke Williams and the other safety we picked up due to injury but at least we've gotten some excellent play from Aaron, Leonhard and Byrd. With those 3 guys still here next year hopefully, safety is not a position of need.

On the signing of Branch, I'm very pleased. It's like he said in the interview, he may not have the statistic numbers, but he knows his role and winning is the only stat he cares about. I see him all over the field. Since the beginning of the season I would ask myself, who's number 90? Now I know for sure. Good signing.

I really hope we can fix the offensive issues next year. Go Bills.

I could say the defense is also the reason we lost those games

This is great news.

I was thrilled when the Bills signed Branch during the offseason. It was a very quiet move that all of the "experts" didn't talk about.

His play has been tremendous and just knowing he will be with us for another 3 years will be a big help.

Great move by the FO taking care of this before the offseason starts.

Now let's re-sign Byrd, Dan Carpenter & Jim Leonhard.

If he continues to ask for too much? You mean Carrington? I don’t think there’s been any news about what he does/doesn’t want. Unless I missed something.

I remember that he turned down the Bills first contract offer earlier in the year. It was right before he got hurt.

I could say the defense is also the reason we lost those games

Well you're entitled to your own opinion. Aside from one game, I haven't seen the offense play so well that the loss fell solely on the defense's hands.

This offense is not the reason for any of our wins except for maybe, just maybe, the Panthers game.

a solid backup....good signing.

Backup? What are you talking about? He's a starter and a good one.

Extend Hughes before season end... Sign Byrd first day he can be signed. Then go get a guard or two in FA. Then trade two first rounders for Larry Fitzgerald.

Yes

NO

Well you're entitled to your own opinion. Aside from one game, I haven't seen the offense play so well that the loss fell solely on the defense's hands.

This offense is not the reason for any of our wins except for maybe, just maybe, the Panthers game.

... and the PI call

:thumbsup: great move. New sheriff in town. The Bills will dominate the afc east the next decade. thats my prediction and I am sticking with it

Pete 12/23/13

Did you die today?

Yeah, realized this after I posted. Rotoworld had Dareus as a FA after the 2014 season. Maybe time to lock him up now? Especially with him being in contention for the pro bowl.

The Bills have an option to exercise for a fifth year which they need to decide on this spring. I would think it is highly unlikely they would not take the option.

I remember that he turned down the Bills first contract offer earlier in the year. It was right before he got hurt.

He did. Typical Parker BS. Carrington will likely regret that decision. I doubt the Bills will offer much, if anything, now that they have locked up that spot with Branch. Perhaps they make him an offer as depth but I suspect they will move on.

I 100% agree with this. I think the system took some time for the players to get more comfortable in it. I also think would like Carrington back, but i would be no means over pay for him. That is where the Bills F.O will have to look at the entire budget and figure out a suitable offer. I am sure he will get an offer from the Bills.

I agree Carrington is a solid versatile back up in my opinion. A guy who can play all along the Dline it appears. Nose gaurd is a stretch but DT or DE is not.