Yesterdays win and what it may mean

billsfan_34

Is the dominant win yesterday what this team needs to turn the corner? Part of me says yes but lets see what happens next weekend in foxboro. I didnt see anything out of the Pats that was overly spectacular yesterday. What i watched was a Ravens team that just isnt that good anymore. If we can string 3 in a row to cap the season and do it on the road then I am going to drink the Kool Aid....AGAIN.

Is the dominant win yesterday what this team needs to turn the corner? Part of me says yes but lets see what happens next weekend in foxboro. I didnt see anything out of the Pats that was overly spectacular yesterday. What i watched was a Ravens team that just isnt that good anymore. If we can string 3 in a row to cap the season and do it on the road then I am going to drink the Kool Aid....AGAIN.

You can't fool us ... you will be drinking it again win or lose next week ;)

It tells us that we won yesterday.

Ok, that's a little tongue in cheek.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled. The defense finally looked like what we were dreaming it to be all last season. I keep telling myself that a big upgrade at Will LB (maybe, MAYBE, at DE where we have Branch and Carrington, in the last year of their contracts) and we could have an elite defensive unit.

But as the old saying goes, "The best defense is a good offense" and that most certainly remains up for debate.

It probably doesn't mean the Bills defense is exactly elite just yet. Combined with the win over the Jets, it does mean that the Bills have narrowed the gap in the division. That is key because the division is the surest way to the playoffs, and division record is a tiebreaker for a wildcard. The Bills have been consistently bad in the AFC East for some time, and the ability to win those games means something. Tom Brady isn't getting any younger. The current Pats* are closer to average than they have been during his tenure. Brady and a large dose of help from the Officials is the only reason NE is in the spot they are right now. The games where they were allegedly "hosed" by the ref's ( @Jets @ CAR) were influenced by calls that were probably correct. Wins over the Saints and Browns were essentially given to them by the zebras, and @CIN would likely have fallen into that category as well if not for an instant rain deluge on their last possession. So the win was anything but meaningless. The talent gap is narrowing, the Bills need another key piece or two combined with improvement from EJ Manuel ( or the addition of a PROVEN veteran QB a la Cutler) to contend in 2014.

Yesterday's win was nothing buy TV entertainment. Next year, games will mean something again...hopefully into at least November. Man. We suck.

It's really all TV entertainment, with maybe the exception made for the handful of legit Super Bowl contenders. But based on reasonable expectations going into the year (which largely depended on CJ and Stevie carrying the offense), how can you not be at least a little more upbeat about the near future from this season's showing. (Again, based on reasonable expectations!)

It means the Bills can beat Miami occasionally

I agree it doesn't mean everything. But it does mean that WE OWN MIAMI.

(Shouting in general, not at Leelee.)

I realize we are playing for pride again, and we deserve more. But, in the pride bowl we are hoisting the trophy. Against Miami. The hated 'phins. That is worth something.

I agree that we need to keep the win in perspective. The proper perspective isn't that a moral victory=a playoff victory. Nor is it that a quality beatdown of the Dolphins who were playing for the postseason is meaningless. Somewhere in the middle. And yeah, a win next week would mean a lot more.

Last time we finished with a .500 or better divisional record? Last time we swept an AFC East opponent? I think both of those were 2007.

Last time we had 7 sacks in a game?

Last time we held an opponent to 14 yards rushing?

Last time we had 4 or fewer penalties in a game, and where penalties didn't have a big negative impact on our game?

Last time we shut out an opponent?

Last time we beat the snot out of an opponent thoroughly?

Last time we could say that WE OWN MIAMI?

Say it with me again: WE OWN MIAMI.

That's not meaningless.

kj

Yesterday's win was a great effort against a Miami team fighting for a playoff spot but also to me a hollow victory. It left me asking where this effort was coming off the bye week when it would have mattered against the Falcons, Steelers, and Buc's? Win 2 of those 3 and we'd have a great shot at the final playoff spot and next Sunday's game would mean something. Now, while a Bills win might make us feel better going in to the off-season for all practical purposes all it does is drop them out of a top 10 spot in the draft.

I don't see the Bills beating NE next week with the Colts and Bengals right behind them for the #2 spot and a bye week at stake. If NE loses and Cincinnati and Indianapolis both win they'd all finish at 10-5. I'm not clear on all the tie breakers but the Bengals beat them in week 5. I hate but in some ways respect that team and I suspect they'll come in and take care of business with the 2 seed on the line.

On the positive side I see a Bills defense (that gave up too many big plays all season - 20+ yards) that has evolved over the course of the season and has the potential to become a top 5 with an upgrade at OLB to go along with a year of experience with Pettine's system. The offense needs upgrades at WR and O-line (and TE?) along with EJ staying healthy and demonstrating some signiciant improvement in playing the pro game. A veteran back up without a concusion history too. Keeping Byrd would be a plus. Also need a new punter because it looks like Moorman is done.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

It means the Bills can beat Miami occasionally and have a clear advantage in the trenches against them, despite having virtually no offense in either game this year.

Basically, 6 to 8 win irrelevant football.

Now win at New England and then you're proving something.

It means the Bills can beat Miami occasionally and have a clear advantage in the trenches against them, despite having virtually no offense in either game this year.

Oh GOOD! Mr. Sunshine is back. I was starting to think we weren't terrible for a minute. Glad you're back with your over the top optimism to bring me back to earth.

I would agree with this, particularly since the game does mean something to NE.

The game meant something to MIA. It matters. A win @ NE would matter more, because the Pats are better than MIA, and it is on the road in a stadium where the Bills are winless.

They swept a division rival for the first time since 2007 and got a shut out against a hot team that just beat Pitt on the road and NE in which the game meant everything to them. They were playing with a backup QB and missing their #1 WR, while Fred was playing with cracked ribs. They also had their backup QB and 2 injured RBs the last time they played them. But they had 200 rushing yards and scored 19 pts yesterday against a potential playoff team who beat Indy, Pitt, NE, Cincy... I don't call that "virtually no offense" given the above circumstances.

The game meant something to MIA. It matters. A win @ NE would matter more, because the Pats are better than MIA, and it is on the road in a stadium where the Bills are winless.

Absolutely yesterday meant something to the fish. And it is always good to sweep a division opponent. But in my opinion the fish are not a good team (yet they somehow they managed a 8-7 record this season so far). And even though NE is not what they once were, they are definitely better than the fish, particularly in winter weather.

Absolutely yesterday meant something to the fish. And it is always good to sweep a division opponent. But in my opinion the fish are not a good team (yet they somehow they managed a 8-7 record this season so far). And even though NE is not what they once were, they are definitely better than the fish, particularly in winter weather.

I do think they are a good team, based on the teams they have beaten and their record. They beat NE, so although I would still pick NE over Miami in a power ranking there is that. They beat Pitt in the snow, at Heinz Field, so they are OK in winter weather. NE at Foxboro is tough - I do think the Bills will not have enough to win. Bellicheck won't let it happen. But hope for a good game and decent performance from EJ.