Mack: mock draft

HOF4LOU

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The line for Lewis will be short...He's an ideal 3rd string QB for most teams because he can run the scout team well especially if you're preparing for a mobile QB...And he's a smart kid...He may be a decent back-up for a few other needy teams...That's about it...He's not going to command much in Free Agency...No team is going to view him as a potential starter...You can't sell Thad Lewis to any NFL fan base... B-)

Lewis is way too insecure with the ball...might have as many fumbles as all other Bills combined this year or damn close to it...in only a few games, that is way too many balls on the ground

So the Bills have a better WR plan than these recent Superbowl winning teams had? That plan being getting a "tall" #1 WR even though he's not nearly as talented as the 6'1" Watkins?

There's a completely valid reason why people keep bringing up the James Hardy pick. Because it's the perfect example of the Bills blowing a high draft pick at WR because height was more important than actual skills and talent.

People keep bringing up James Hardy because they want to demonstrate how clueless they are and how little football knowledge they have.

James Hardy had no college resume, he sat in the back if the end zone on a nothing football program.

Evans and Hardy have nothing to do with each other besides height.

Evans has multiple productive years in the SEc as a primary passing option. Saban and Les Miles couldn't stop him.

James Hardy is a horrible example to bring up in a discussion of Mike Evans.

Btw DeSean Jackson was the 7th WR taken in that draft. So it wasn't a no brainer to take DeSean Jackson over Eddie Royal or Limas Sweed at the time.

It was a no brainer to let a nothing talent with no resume and no demonstrable skillset to drop to the 4th like James Hardy should have been drafted.

Edited by Why So Serious?

People keep bringing up James Hardy because they want to demonstrate how clueless they are and how little football knowledge they have.

James Hardy had no college resume, he sat in the back if the end zone on a nothing football program.

Evans and Hardy have nothing to do with each other besides height.

Evans has multiple productive years in the SEc as a primary passing option. Saban and Les Miles couldn't stop him.

James Hardy is a horrible example to bring up in a discussion of Mike Evans.

Btw DeSean Jackson was the 7th WR taken in that draft. So it wasn't a no brainer to take DeSean Jackson over Eddie Royal or Limas Sweed at the time.

It was a no brainer to let a nothing talent with no resume and no demonstrable skillset to drop to the 4th like James Hardy should have been drafted.

Obviously the comparison isn't hardy to Evans, it's Evans to Watkins. Watching them both play I think it's obvious who the better player is.

I think people may agree that Watkins is better but still want Evans because of his size, and our lack of WR size. That is where the comparison to hardy comes in, and is relevant. Do you take a less talented player just on the basis of size? I dont think so. It's idiotic to think anyone is comparing Evans to hardy.

Obviously the comparison isn't hardy to Evans, it's Evans to Watkins. Watching them both play I think it's obvious who the better player is.

I think people may agree that Watkins is better but still want Evans because of his size, and our lack of WR size. That is where the comparison to hardy comes in, and is relevant. Do you take a less talented player just on the basis of size? I dont think so. It's idiotic to think anyone is comparing Evans to hardy.

Considering all the draft "experts" and mocks have Evans rated higher than Watkins, I don't think that is an issue here. Lots of people like to fault the Bills for "going against the grain" and thinking they are smarter than everyone else and drafting a guy higher than another despite rating. In this case, if they took Watkins over Evans, it appears they would be doing just that. Of course things may change between now and the draft - there are bowl games, combine, interviews, pro days, team visits... but as of now Evans is the better all-around prospect based on the info currently out there. Everyone may have a different opinion, as always. Evans is not like James Hardy, btw.

So the Bills have a better WR plan than these recent Superbowl winning teams had? That plan being getting a "tall" #1 WR even though he's not nearly as talented as the 6'1" Watkins?

There's a completely valid reason why people keep bringing up the James Hardy pick. Because it's the perfect example of the Bills blowing a high draft pick at WR because height was more important than actual skills and talent.

No, its because you don't stop drafting a certain type of player just because one didn't work out years ago with a different team, coaching staff and system. Slow down on the SB implications. We are just trying to build a better offense around an inexperienced QB right now. But if you must beat a dead horse on Hardy, this is not the type of player they need. Just because he is tall doesn't mean he is same WR as Evans. I watch a lot of Big 10 football and Hardy was nothing like him except height-wise. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

I think Mack is highly likely in RD1 (unless for some strange reason Barr is available). Solidifying the LB corp would be huge. Also, getting ACC and National Defensive player of the year Aaron Donald in the second round would solidify the D line and help the run D. Then take a TE (the kid from USC) in the 3rd, and a OL in the 4th. CB in the 5th. Just my thoughts.

Your post is logical.

However others are likely not and are actually comparing Evans to Hardy.

The point is not comparing them solely on their college performance but where they project in the pros.

Do you want Alshon Jeffries or Victir Cruz?

Do you see Alshon towering over the CBs making one handed grabs over his head ? That is difficult to defend.

Teams will take a chance at having that kind of a weapon over a debatably better college player.

I don't know if I would say Evans is even less talented. Watkins had some decent games this year, but Evans' biggest games were against two of the top 3 teams in the nation. He absolutely torched Auburn and Alabama. Now he has had a couple of games where his stats were less than admirable, mainly the last two games of the season. In those two games Manziel was getting beaten around in the pocket by the opposing defenses and the defense was also keying on him A LOT more. Watkins has definitely faced a more favorable schedule if that were an arguement. Watkins is going to turn in the faster 40 time, likely a sub 4.4, while Evans will still run a sub 4.5 and have a better vertical leap. I like Evans even more so because of his body control, his leaping ability, and timing to get the ball at it's highest point.

They need to draft a quarterback, period, and let the best man win. Would be insane if they didn't. Don't understand why there's a "0 percent chance." Manuel's odds have to be below 40 percent right now that he'll be a playoff-caliber starting option for us.

They're not going QB 2 years in a row with the OL the way it is. Hate to break this to everyone, but you can write it down, take a picture, fill in the blank. They will try to solidify the OL for EJ and do what they feel they need to do around him to help him succeed on offense. Depending on FA, that likely means OL two picks out of the first three rounds.

I don't know if I would say Evans is even less talented. Watkins had some decent games this year, but Evans' biggest games were against two of the top 3 teams in the nation. He absolutely torched Auburn and Alabama. Now he has had a couple of games where his stats were less than admirable, mainly the last two games of the season. In those two games Manziel was getting beaten around in the pocket by the opposing defenses and the defense was also keying on him A LOT more. Watkins has definitely faced a more favorable schedule if that were an arguement. Watkins is going to turn in the faster 40 time, likely a sub 4.4, while Evans will still run a sub 4.5 and have a better vertical leap. I like Evans even more so because of his body control, his leaping ability, and timing to get the ball at it's highest point.

Fair points, and everyone is going to have their own opinion. By my eyes Watkins is a dynamic athlete and playmaker. I have little doubt his skill set will translate well to the next level.

I have concerns about Evans ability to separate at the next level. Some of the plays I see him making have manziel scrambling around, extending plays and then just throwing it up for the WR to make a play.

No Watkins in the 1st, not tall enough. Another team who already has a big WR may want him that high but I would want a bigger guy in the 1st. That said. Watkins' drug/suspension history doesn't appear to be something Whaley and Marrone would go for that early.

so you would rather take a taller guy that isn't as talented just because he is tall? Russell Wilson says hi.

so you would rather take a taller guy that isn't as talented just because he is tall? Russell Wilson says hi.

Yes, that's exactly what I said :rolleyes: . Feel free to read the posts first. But while we are talking about QBs... oh, we weren't.

They need to draft a quarterback, period, and let the best man win. Would be insane if they didn't. Don't understand why there's a "0 percent chance." Manuel's odds have to be below 40 percent right now that he'll be a playoff-caliber starting option for us.

They may draft a QB, but not in the first 3 rounds, IMO.

Yes.

I have concerns about Evans ability to separate at the next level. Some of the plays I see him making have manziel scrambling around, extending plays and then just throwing it up for the WR to make a play.

I haven't started doing any video evaluating yet but the one Evans highlight video I saw raised a few concerns.

The thing that was really weird is that he always lined up on the wide right of the formation and constantly ran the same patterns.

So that's two concerns.

A third concern is that it looks like A&M's offense is extremely simplistic.

The video did not show a well-rounded, versatile receiver IMO. The guy is a freak athlete but he looks to be very green also.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I haven't started doing any video evaluating yet but the one Evans highlight video I saw raised a few concerns.

The thing that was really weird is that he always lined up on the wide right of the formation and constantly ran the same patterns.

So that's two concerns.

A third concern is that it looks like A&M's offense is extremely simplistic.

The video did not show a well-rounded, versatile receiver IMO.

I don't know if I have seen him make a play inside the hashes.

That doesn't preclude him from becoming a good WR in the NFL but I am not sure how much that would help the Bills.

They have a wealth of outside receivers.......especially when you consider that Stevie Johnson hasn't worked out in the slot and Chandler can't split the seam.

Where have they indicated or implied dissatisfaction with the play of the tackles?

Have you not seen Pears play this year? His decline is obvious. It may not have been indicated by the Bills, but they'd be foolish not to address it. His performance has been noted by game analysts pretty frequently for my liking.

Glenn is surely not the problem at OT.