Khalil Mack watch: final edition this Sat.

PromoTheRobot

Urban Meyer said that he was the best player on the field in that game (and he was). I have zero concerns with Mack as a prospect after seeing him a handful of times. I like him a lot more than I like Mosely or Shazier (and I am an OSU fan). He is all over the field and he is a 3 down guy. I think that Mack will go somewhere between 5-12.

I love Shazier but his size worries me. According to Kiper, the new NFL defenses adapt to undersized LBs and it isn't the issue it used to be. Put him in the right system and he could be a stud. I still don't know if he is going to stay or go (PRAY he stays but he should leave). Edited by YoloInTheBlo

James Harrison was another guy from the MAC. He turned out okay. There is no shortage of MAC players in the NFL.

It's not like it's DIII. The difference between the MAC and say the SEC is more roster depth.

PTR

well its not just "roster depth" - but I agree with what you are saying...the MAC isnt that big of a jump down from the SEC or other conferences...but it isnt just roster depth....the big schools get the blue chip recruits, UB/rest of the MAC just has to build their teams with GOOD talent, not elite talent

that does not mean that some of those GOOD talent they get cant blossom into ELITE talent over the course of their career (Mack) - its just a matter of what they are getting to start with....no blue chipper is choosing to play in the MAC over the SEC lol

but about the general thread: im all for Mack...but if it came down to Evans or Mack...i dunno who I would prefer...a big stud WR sounds real nice...so does a terrific LB, both areas of need...

well its not just "roster depth" - but I agree with what you are saying...the MAC isnt that big of a jump down from the SEC or other conferences...but it isnt just roster depth....the big schools get the blue chip recruits, UB/rest of the MAC just has to build their teams with GOOD talent, not elite talent

that does not mean that some of those GOOD talent they get cant blossom into ELITE talent over the course of their career (Mack) - its just a matter of what they are getting to start with....no blue chipper is choosing to play in the MAC over the SEC lol

but about the general thread: im all for Mack...but if it came down to Evans or Mack...i dunno who I would prefer...a big stud WR sounds real nice...so does a terrific LB, both areas of need...

Good points on talent in the different conferences but sometimes guys just blossom in college despite what their ranking was out of HS. As an OSU fan I can attest to this from both sides. We had Luke Keuchly in our backyard, he was a 3 star, ran a 4.7 and went to BC (not recruited by OSU) and became an All American. Curtis Grant was the #2 LB in the country, 5 star guy, and .. well.. I'll be nice but there was another LB on the field when UB played OSU and Grant could not hold his jock. Grant has been a huge disappointment. AJ Hawk was a 3 star and the last guy offered a scholarship in his class at OSU, and went on to be the #5 overall draft pick for GB and still starts 8 years later. My point is, the HS rankings and where the guys end up playing in college sometimes (not always) doesn't match what they become.

With weak SD State rolling over the Bulls' defense, it is going to cause teams to question if Mack's production at a low-level of competition will translate well to the NFL. A great deal will hinge on Mack's Combine workouts. If he show superior athletic ability, he will still go high, but if he runs 4.75 or worse and doesn't show well in the strength events, his stock will drop significantly.

I'm watching the game the Idaho Potato bowl from my home in Florida and I can tell ya there's no way in hell I would drive 2000 miles to Idaho to watch UB and San Diego State. San Diego State is simply beating Buffalo with speed they have way too much of it and Buffalo has none. The stadium which is small to begin with is maybe a third full

This team had some real talent. Went to waste IMO. Every big game they seem panicked and make a lot of unforced (and forced) errors. Quinn seems to be outcoached right out of the box right from the preparation phase.

The MAC this year was worse than usual. You had Northern Illinois, Ball State, and BGSU. Then you had Toledo and Buffalo who were decent. Everyone else was a complete pile of crap. Kent State and Ohio also disappointed.

UB Offensive line was sub par. Special teams and Turnovers killed them and the D could not stop the run. San Diego did a great job of game planning against Mack committing 2-3 blockers and running away from him most of the game. The rest of the D failed to make them pay for over committing. I think San Diego was a much better team with more bowl experience and they have a stronger football tradition with better coaching. S. D. finished 8 and 5 after losing their first three games they got a future RB back from injury for this game. The Bulls benefited from a weak MAC schedule. Every good team Buffalo played blew them out. They were ill equipped for a step up in competition. I did like what I saw of Mack tonight and all of this year. I think he continues to get better. I hope he falls to the Bills, he will be a good fit in the Bills D. He and Alonso will be a load in Pettine's schemes.

Edited by Trader

I'm not. I think it's super risky to take a guy that high who doesn't play against top competition. I'm not saying he's not all he's cracked up to be but when you are playing Toledo and Akron it's easy to look good. The top pick last year was from the MAC and he was a bust. I think if you are drafting someone that high it should be a sure thing

I have not been impressed by Mack in the three games I saw this year

Fisher is still starting for the Chiefs and all the talk of him flopping was early in the season, haven't paid attention to him this year but he has all the tools to get the job done.

With weak SD State rolling over the Bulls' defense, it is going to cause teams to question if Mack's production at a low-level of competition will translate well to the NFL. A great deal will hinge on Mack's Combine workouts. If he show superior athletic ability, he will still go high, but if he runs 4.75 or worse and doesn't show well in the strength events, his stock will drop significantly.

pretty much

Great scouting report on Mack from Bucky Brooks:

CollegeFootball 24/7@NFL_CFB50m

.@BuckyBrooks broke down Khalil Mack's pass rush, run support, coverage, etc. Sees cornerstone player on an elite D. http://on.nfl.com/1dz4Nxe

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000303450/article/buffalos-khalil-mack-fits-as-late-firstround-pick-in-2014-nfl-draft?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb