How Much is Russ Brandon to Blame for Bills' Current Plight?

patfitz

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going back to the original intent of the thread, the issue is broken down into a series of questions:

Do you believe the Bills are in a "Plight"?

Do you believe Ralph Wilson was muddling and preventing upper management from building a winner correctly all the way to the age of 94?

Do you believe Russ Brandon has any "say" in the football department, and if so, what degree?

Do you take the public image/words of OBD at face value?

I do believe all of these things have reasonable points and counter-points on all sides of the argument. With me, I am always very skeptical of what comes out of OBD, and I have lost all/most of my trust with them. I do see a pattern of scapegoating guys like Donahoe, Levy, Jauron, Modrak, Guy, Gailey... and most lately, Wilson offered himself. "He was a Jauron guy" or "Levy set this franchise back 5 years". They may not outwardly say that, but they know large pieces of the fan base buy in. Each time they do this (go in a "new" direction), the seats at upper management stay the same/shift one step to the left. I truly believe that is a reason Nix festered around awhile like he did. If EJ, the 2013 draft class, or Marrone flame out, Nix will be the guy no longer in the room to blame. Upper Management consists of Brandon, Overdorf, and Littman, with Whaley now assuming Nix's role. These guys are good and experienced at preserving a very predictable take for Mr. Wilson and it is in their best interest to keep the fans at bay, while Mr. Wilson collects the profit each year. They do want to win, but that is secondary, which is their right, but that is how 14 year playoff droughts happen.

The entire conversation is a waste of time anyways because nobody North of Whaley is ever getting fired by Mr. Wilson.

I admit I do like the 2013 draft (as long as they don't pass up a QB they like in order to "protect" the Manuel decision), I like the Marrone hire, and the Sheppard/Hughes trade. Im not too upset over the Levitre situation and like the Wood re-signing. I do however disagree with everything regarding the handling of Byrd.

This is the second rebuild in 4 seasons, the third is 8 seasons, and the fourth in 13. I think the Bills lead the league in attempted rebuilds, and they can't even blame Al Davis.

Rebuilding, with the right management and personnel decisions, can happen quickly. It's not a 3-4 year process anymore.

Naa, the Cleveland Brown have the market cornered in rebuilding, and for that matter bringing in QB's. 6 different coaching staffs, and 19 QB's on the team since 1999.

The Browns at least had 2 winning seasons in that time 10-6, one playoffs at 9-7 in 2002

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying that at all.

You can talk about increased exposure of the game, which is legitimate, but you cannot disregard the fact that the area's population has declined by nearly 20% since the early 90's. And I find it hard to believe that there was insufficient exposure for a team with back-to-back Superbowl appearances to sell out a game in the '92-'93 playoffs.

Does that mean that the team isn't capable of selling out games nowadays by simply fielding a winning team? Of course not...what it means is that this area has, historically, had much more difficulty filling its stadium than the larger markets. That cannot be denied.

A game like this weekend draws maybe 20,000 fans to Rich Stadium in 1984. We know this because that's what happened. I noted in another thread that the opener only drew 48,000.

With our apparently startlingly shrinking population......and 12 extra playoffless seasons preceding it than in 1984......it will still draw 55,000-65,000 this Sunday.

Current Bills fans are what their record says they are: INCREDIBLE

This is the second rebuild in 4 seasons, the third is 8 seasons, and the fourth in 13. I think the Bills lead the league in attempted rebuilds, and they can't even blame Al Davis.

Rebuilding, with the right management and personnel decisions, can happen quickly. It's not a 3-4 year process anymore.

Absolutely correct. Look at the Bengals, 49ers and Seahawks. In the midst of the last Bills re-build (2010-11), these teams were as bad or worse than Buffalo. Then they hired GMs with vision, employed good coaches, hit home runs with multiple draft choices and/or found competent (or better) QBs. The Bills did none of those things. I look at the 2011 draft, example, as a major turning point for the Bengals and a huge missed opportunity for the Bills. With their first two picks, the Bengals drafted impact players at the two most important positions in football, while the Bills, drafting before the Bengals in both instances, drafted pedestrian players at far less critical positions. Since that time, the Bengals have gone on to winning seasons and the playoffs while the Bills have embarked on yet another re-build.

Edited by mannc

Absolutely correct. Look at the Bengals, 49ers and Seahawks. In the midst of the last Bills re-build (2010-11), these teams were as bad or worse than Buffalo. Then they hired GMs with vision, employed good coaches, hit home runs with multiple draft choices and/or found competent (or better) QBs. The Bills did none of those things. I look at the 2011, for example, as a major turning point for the Bengals and a huge missed opportunity for the Bills. With their first two picks, the Bengals drafted impact players at the two most important positions in football, while the Bills, drafting before the Bengals in both instances, drafted pedestrian players at far less critical positions. Since that time, the Bengals have gone on to winning seasons and the playoffs while the Bills have embarked on yet another re-build.

The biggest difference between the Bills and those teams is the aggressiveness with which they approached the job at hand. The Seahawks made a bunch of mistakes in a very short period of time in trying to get their QB........but they tried A LOT and got their guy. They took a ton of chances. The Bills are traditionally a baby-steps organization. No way Seattle goes into a second year with EJ Manuel without bringing in serious competition.

Ralph no longer has to approve things, Russ didn't need to get his approval to make Whaley the GM or Marrone the Head Coach. He didn't have to call him asking for permission to sign Hackett or Pettine. For better or worse, the buck no longer stops with Ralph. It stops with Russ.

As most every person who moved out of their mom and dad's house can attest, seeking permission and making your own choices aren't the same thing.

And you know this how...bc Russ says so? Whaley was in line to be the GM the day he was hired so what was left to decide?

Russ is in the same position he has been in for years regardless of if he has to get final approval from Ralph or not

That entire press conference and announcement was nothing more then a PR move by a PR guy to give the illusion of change but at end of the day what actually changed? Russ is still running things and Nix was still the GM with Whaley soon to take over.

Edited by Max997

The biggest difference between the Bills and those teams is the aggressiveness with which they approached the job at hand. The Seahawks made a bunch of mistakes in a very short period of time in trying to get their QB........but they tried A LOT and got their guy. They took a ton of chances. The Bills are traditionally a baby-steps organization. No way Seattle goes into a second year with EJ Manuel without bringing in serious competition.

I'd hardly call their efforts to find a future Franchise QB aggressive. They picked up retreads Jackson & Flynn and drafted a 3rd round QB. They ended up getting very lucky with minimal investment.

Edited by Dibs

"Plight"??? There is no plight in the front office and the ownership of this team. Perhaps the OP's goals are not aligned with the goals of the team ownership? Brandon's job is to optimize the value of the NFL team that Ralph Wilson owns that is currently named, "The Buffalo Bills", and currently plays at the taxpayer owned Stadium in Orchard Park that for the time being is named "Ralph Wilson Stadium". To date Brandon has done a good job of that. We will find out just how successful Brandon has been when the team is auctioned off to the highest bidder in the future just as Mr. Wilson has promised every time he is asked the question. Mr. Wilson deserves credit for having greater loyalty to the city which bears the teams name than the players who wear the Buffalo Bills uniforms. Of course next year is a new challenge In terms of ticket sales and everything is subject to change.

I think Brandon has done a good job marketing the fans Bills. By playing a game in Toronto and their apathetic fans has cooled talk of the NFL expanding into that market. Genius. As a GM he was a place holder and we know he is not football man. He has done what his boss has asked of him to do. The Bills situation is due to the scouting and poor draft selections. Maybin is the worst first round pick by them in decades.

This... He's made a lot of money selling a substandard product for years!

I'd hardly call their efforts to find a future Franchise QB aggressive. They picked up retreads Jackson & Flynn and drafted a 3rd round QB. They ended up getting very lucky with minimal investment.

They invested a lot in Flynn actually but I agree with your point because the fact that Flynn went so spectacularly wrong (he stank in training camp and pre-season) not only didn't hurt them but actually helped them because of their gamble on Wilson. The Seahawks planned on Flynn being the starter though.... They got lucky.

They invested a lot in Flynn actually but I agree with your point because the fact that Flynn went so spectacularly wrong (he stank in training camp and pre-season) not only didn't hurt them but actually helped them because of their gamble on Wilson. The Seahawks planned on Flynn being the starter though.... They got lucky.

Incorrect. Flynn did nothing to lose the job in training camp. Wilson was just spectacular from day one.

No. Flynn looked hopeless. Yes, Wilson won the job, he played extremely well but had Flynn not looked totally confused in the pre-season they would have started Flynn. Basically the Bills and Seahawks 2010 rebuilds were going along pretty much the same, save for them scraping into the play offs at 7-9 one year until they selected Wilson and we selected TJ Graham. That's unquestionable a pick Buddy Nix would like to have back, but to suggest they were taking a much more aggressive approach to their rebuild particularly at Quarterback is not true.

What is aggressive is that they didn't sit and wait. How much time passed between Jackson (didn't they also trade for a SD backup?), Flynn and Wilson? Were they bashful about letting a vet go (Jackson), or did they roll the dice with 2 very inexperienced guys? Did they go with the safer of those two options (Flynn) or did they quickly realize that Wilson was the guy?

That's aggressiveness. Roll the dice knowing that you'll hit few and miss many. Buffalo will be unwilling to do that based on everything we know about the team.

I think Brandon has done a good job marketing the fans Bills. By playing a game in Toronto and their apathetic fans has cooled talk of the NFL expanding into that market. Genius. As a GM he was a place holder and we know he is not football man. He has done what his boss has asked of him to do. The Bills situation is due to the scouting and poor draft selections. Maybin is the worst first round pick by them in decades.

I know I'm in the minority, but I see the Toronto series as probably the way we keep the Bills in Buffalo. I don't see any ownership group or NYSE having the funds to build a new stadium. If they did, you'd want closer to Ft. Erie, but in NYSE so you could attract more Canadian, and Rochester fans to games. I never want to see the Bills sold to another city so it's a necessary evil to keep a small market team with a dwindling population. I am grateful of the severe penalty for the next 7 years by NYS.

I'm impressed with Brandon from a pure marketing standpoint. I live in Tampa, and to think the Bills get more seats filled than Tampa with far more money and 2.5 times the population. What Brandon did wrong is his choices in GM's and Coaches since 2000. I believe in Whaley and Marrone. I think Marrone made a mistake in Hacket. He's not experienced enough for the job like Pettine. I wish we would hire Kubiak, but that won't happen.

As far as drafting under Nix and Whaley, as well as free agent acquisitions, I'd rate them as a B+/A-. If you look at solid pickups like Hughes, Lawson, Branch, the o-line, etc. they are solid players. For the draft it is not that common to hit on EJ, Woods, Alonso, and Goodwin. The year before Gilmore, and Glenn. We're not perfect, but a much more talented team. We keep a rookie QB out there for an. Off-season and a full season, our record is different. Now we really need a good back up QB who is a veteran next year. There should be someone out there. Imwould've even been happy if we found a way to keep Fitz in the back up role. He's worth 3-4 mil.

We will be better next year with another solid draft and a couple of good role players like we did this year.

My estimate on our misses is letting too many guys go after their first four years and winning for someone else, use the $ wisely and resign people like Wood early as the continuity will definitely make us better.

Excellent post!

Regarding the stadium location, RS was the last choice after the Erie County legislature vote down a domed stadium in Amherst. It was meant to be a cheap stadium on cheap and with all the seats possible. Ironically, if he dome in Amherst were built at that time, WNY would have had to build a new stadium 10-20 years ago as all the 70's era domes have been condemned by NFL economics. The Bill did not expect many sellouts but were surprised by the number and only then realized the impact of the Rochester market.

What is aggressive is that they didn't sit and wait. How much time passed between Jackson (didn't they also trade for a SD backup?), Flynn and Wilson? Were they bashful about letting a vet go (Jackson), or did they roll the dice with 2 very inexperienced guys? Did they go with the safer of those two options (Flynn) or did they quickly realize that Wilson was the guy?

That's aggressiveness. Roll the dice knowing that you'll hit few and miss many. Buffalo will be unwilling to do that based on everything we know about the team.

They also traded a 2011 3rd round pick to San Diego for Charlie Whitehurst.

Flynn wasn't a retread by any means.....he was the top FA QB on the market.......a young backup who had some great performances against Detroit and in a Monday night game against NE.

All those guys got a short leash.........Hasselbeck was in the mix as well. They weren't willing to settle for mediocrity.

Someone else astutely mentioned that the last time the Bills did something like that they drafted Todd Collins in the second round, traded for Billy Joe Hobert and then traded for Rob Johnson and signed Flutie in a short period of time.

Then followed that up with 21 wins the next two seasons.

WOW ! I can't believe so many on this board are defending Brandon. Let's start with a simple question: "what's your definition of success in the NFL?". Mine is simple, WINNING. On that dimension, every person associated with this franchise over the past 15 years has failed and the accountability for that failure only increases as their positions ascend organizationally and no person other than Ralph himself has held a more prominent role over a longer period than Brandon. Second, he is responsible for one of the worst football decisions of this decade when he agreed to extend the Toronto series. I don't blame him for the creating the series originally, I, in fact, applaud the ingenuity and the risk he took to see if it was possible to enhance the revenues of this team without hurting it on the field. But, when it was clear this series was hurting the chance of this team winning football games, why would you extend it ? That to me speaks to the biggest issue with Brandon, he focuses on the profit/loss and not winning. Thirdly, he has been in "complete charge" for the past year and is sitting on almost $20M in cap space in 2013 while moving $10M in Fitz's dead money to 2014 and refuses to extend or restructure the contracts of players to provide this organization with the maximum financial flexibility in 2014 and 2015. Fourth, he is not a marketing genius, what he is at his core is a guy who is selling FEAR to the WNY fans. His veiled threat after the Bills-Falcons game on WGR was appalling. Saying that Bills fans couldn't sell out most of this season's games and putting more "inventory" into WNY could prove to be troublesome was an embarrassment to this community. A marketing genius would first and foremost insist on having a good product, win some games and seats will be sold. Lastly, to those who defend Brandon, please hold him and this team to a higher standard. It's easy to fall into the trap he sets to sell "hope" and how hard he works and how much he wants to win. Watch his actions and ignore his rhetoric, as long as this guy is in charge, this team will need a miracle to win consistently. It hurts as a Bills fans to watch this franchise suffer this long and put one of the folks responsible for that suffering in charge of the team. For those defending Brandon, name ONE thing he has done during his career with the Bills that has resulted in the team WINNING on the field, you can't, because this franchise hasn't won since he's been associated with it.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

They also traded a 2011 3rd round pick to San Diego for Charlie Whitehurst.

Flynn wasn't a retread by any means.....he was the top FA QB on the market.......a young backup who had some great performances against Detroit and in a Monday night game against NE.

All those guys got a short leash.........Hasselbeck was in the mix as well. They weren't willing to settle for mediocrity.

Someone else astutely mentioned that the last time the Bills did something like that they drafted Todd Collins in the second round, traded for Billy Joe Hobert and then traded for Rob Johnson and signed Flutie in a short period of time.

Then followed that up with 21 wins the next two seasons.

Not one of the guys the Seahawks picked up had a record of failure and injury like Kevin Kolb, and before Kolb the Bills had spent 2+ years effectively sitting on their hands (who can seriously think Vince Young was ever pushing for the starting job?) because they knew they could turn Fitzpatrick, another career loser, into a winner. More ironically, some think Kevin Kolb was destined to be the Bills starter this year, if not for his soft melon.

PS: Is it really kudos and back-slaps worthy to have traded for TJax? Despite a career stat line that is not all that much different than Fitzpatrick, TJax never even wore the Bills uniform to a game.

Not one of the guys the Seahawks picked up had a record of failure and injury like Kevin Kolb, and before Kolb the Bills had spent 2+ years effectively sitting on their hands (who can seriously think Vince Young was ever pushing for the starting job?) because they knew they could turn Fitzpatrick, another career loser, into a winner. More ironically, some think Kevin Kolb was destined to be the Bills starter this year, if not for his soft melon.

PS: Is it really kudos and back-slaps worthy to have traded for TJax? Despite a career stat line that is not all that much different than Fitzpatrick, TJax never even wore the Bills uniform to a game.

TJax was cold product when the Bills acquired him, so no. He had gotten his chance in Seattle.......after plenty of seasoning in Minnesota.......and had proven himself a career backup.

The Seahawks failed miserably with the Whitehurst trade, Flynn signing and their initial gamble on TJax but they took nothing for granted and kept trying and fortune rewarded them. It should serve as encouragement for the Bills to keep trying.

If Brandon is not the guy, then who do we get, and will they come to Buffalo? Unlike the 90's, Buffalo is not a prime destination for an NFL exec up and coming or existing star, only wannabees.

and thats only because ownership and upper management. Nothing to do with the stadium, people, or franchise history.

Also, Brandon will be the last President and CEO under Wilson barring some sort crazy legal trouble or a tragedy or anything like that.

Edited by May Day 10

Agreed, or locale for that matter. If the organization has personnel with a commitment and a history of winning, the right people will knock each other out trying to join team or staff. Now it seems more are turning us down than in past decades.

If Brandon is not the guy, then who do we get, and will they come to Buffalo? Unlike the 90's, Buffalo is not a prime destination for an NFL exec up and coming or existing star, only wannabees.

We won't get anybody.

Ralph Wilson will choose who he wants to run his team. He must trust Brandon immensely to give him the keys to his kingdom. Although, that won't save Brandon if he fails to build a winner and the fans stop buying season tickets, JMO

We won't get anybody.

Ralph Wilson will choose who he wants to run his team. He must trust Brandon immensely to give him the keys to his kingdom. Although, that won't save Brandon if he fails to build a winner and the fans stop buying season tickets, JMO

We are stuck with Brandon as long as Ralph is the owner. What fans can do is ACT --- write letters to Brandon and others in Buffalo front offices and ask them the tough questions -- we as fans want a WINNING first philosophy --- put pressure on the media and sponsors to hold the organization accountable to their supposed stated goal (winning) and the actions they take (Toronto series, underspent CAP) --- and stop going to games until they win --- I know it's hard to get over the FEAR factor of losing the team if attendance truly drops, but that's the only way to send the message --- Whaley, the coaches and players are giving it 100% to win -- Brandon must do the same for it to work ---

This is a conversation that I don't feel totally comfortable commenting on because of the relationships that I have at OBD. I will say that Russ is very good at what he does and has a great deal of respect across the league and within other sports as well. He is viewed as someone that has maximized the situation and in many ways is the person responsible for the team still being in WNY. The regionalization was a necessity whether we want to admit it or not. I really don't mean to come across as condescending but if you do not respect the job that he has done then you really do not understand the position. Since he has won the Littman power struggle the organization is in a much better place IMO. I would comfortably say that Russ is in the top 25 or so team presidents in all sports.

This is a conversation that I don't feel totally comfortable commenting on because of the relationships that I have at OBD. I will say that Russ is very good at what he does and has a great deal of respect across the league and within other sports as well. He is viewed as someone that has maximized the situation and in many ways is the person responsible for the team still being in WNY. The regionalization was a necessity whether we want to admit it or not. I really don't mean to come across as condescending but if you do not respect the job that he has done then you really do not understand the position. Since he has won the Littman power struggle the organization is in a much better place IMO. I would comfortably say that Russ is in the top 25 or so team presidents in all sports.

Top 25 ? . . . how is that possible when this franchise hasn't been in a playoff game in 15 years, what measurement criteria are you using, nice guy ? ability to get people to buy tickets to a losing team ? ability to get money to upgrade a stadium that is completely obsolete instead of investing in new stadium ? . . . . . I don't know Russ, but my measurement criteria is simple, has he created an organizational culture that wins. Answer NO.

Top 25 ? . . . how is that possible when this franchise hasn't been in a playoff game in 15 years, what measurement criteria are you using, nice guy ? ability to get people to buy tickets to a losing team ? ability to get money to upgrade a stadium that is completely obsolete instead of investing in new stadium ? . . . . . I don't know Russ, but my measurement criteria is simple, has he created an organizational culture that wins. Answer NO.

That is the reputation tht he has amongst other high level sports executives. His job as the president is about maximizing revenues -period. That is what he gets paid to do. Their sponsorship revenue is near the middle of the league with zero Fortune 500 companies in WNY. The regionalization has allowed them to tap into the wealth of both Rochester and Toronto which has been crucial for sponsorship revenue. The stadium is not a very good revenue generating stadium (at all) but they have managed a pretty solid lease as well (which he is responsible for). In addition, he has hired what most of us believe to be a pretty competent staff. This is the 1st year that he hasn't had to answer to Littman (not Ralph who hasn't been intimately involved in years).

Despite what some here believe he has a really strong reputation in pro sports.

That is the reputation tht he has amongst other high level sports executives. His job as the president is about maximizing revenues -period. That is what he gets paid to do. Their sponsorship revenue is near the middle of the league with zero Fortune 500 companies in WNY. The regionalization has allowed them to tap into the wealth of both Rochester and Toronto which has been crucial for sponsorship revenue. The stadium is not a very good revenue generating stadium (at all) but they have managed a pretty solid lease as well (which he is responsible for). In addition, he has hired what most of us believe to be a pretty competent staff. This is the 1st year that he hasn't had to answer to Littman (not Ralph who hasn't been intimately involved in years).

What road results them moving from WNY since Brandon arrived and/or assumed his power role post Donahoe?

By negotiating a relatively short-term lease that will make it enticing for an out of town interest to relocate the team?

Again, he works for RWS enterprises. His job is to make as much $ for his boss as possible. He has negotiated a lease that allows the sale to make substantially more $ for him.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Again, he works for RWS enterprises. His job is to make as much $ for his boss as possible. He has negotiated a lease that allows the sale to make substantially more $ for him.

The problem with your logic is that he could have made Ralph even more money by building a championship caliber organization and building a nationally-backed brand. Not talking about doing it. Actually doing it.

If you assume that the Bills just simply have to suck by definition, be the farm team that plays the patsy year-in and year-out, then, yes, bleeding every stone and forwarding the cash to Detroit has been a hugely successful strategy. But, I doubt Brandon himself fails to see the defeatism.

The problem with your logic is that he could have made Ralph even more money by building a championship caliber organization and building a nationally-backed brand. Not talking about doing it. Actually doing it.

If you assume that the Bills just simply have to suck by definition, be the farm team that plays the patsy year-in and year-out, then, yes, bleeding every stone and forwarding the cash to Detroit has been a hugely successful strategy. But, I doubt Brandon himself fails to see the defeatism.

My post is based primarily on my 8 years of working in pro sports. I know what the job entails probably better than most here. I have worked with probably 60 team presidents (including Russ). He is strong at the job.

My post is based primarily on my 8 years of working in pro sports. I know what the job entails probably better than most here. I have worked with probably 60 team presidents (including Russ). He is strong at the job.

Russ says the brand he is in charge of is tarnished.

I don't question that he helps the team make more money than having a career football scout like John Butler in charge or having a 90 year old owner calling those shots........but financially, the shield leads the way.

Companies want to be affiliated with the NFL. The Bills specifically? Not so much.

Maximizing that revenue required putting some good teams on the field and they haven't been able to do it.

Russ says the brand he is in charge of is tarnished.

I don't question that he helps the team make more money than having a career football scout like John Butler in charge or having a 90 year old owner calling those shots........but financially, the shield leads the way.

Companies want to be affiliated with the NFL. The Bills specifically? Not so much.

Maximizing that revenue required putting some good teams on the field and they haven't been able to do it.

His job is to hire a staff to build the team as the president. The president is responsible for revenues not personnel. Now that he is free of Littman I think that he has hired a competent staff. Time will tell.

His job is to hire a staff to build the team as the president. The president is responsible for revenues not personnel.

These two sentences are contradictory.

Now that he is free of Littman I think that he has hired a competent staff. Time will tell.

Jeffrey Littmann is still CFO.

But, yes, time will tell if it is premature to crown Brandon as one of the best CEOs in all of sports or not.

These two sentences are contradictory.

Jeffrey Littmann is still CFO.

But, yes, time will tell if it is premature to crown Brandon as one of the best CEOs in all of sports or not.

He is responsible to hire the staff to build the roster. He has not had autonomy until this season (because of Littman not Ralph). Littman previously had to sign off on all decisions (and he is the worst).

My statement on where Russ ranks is based on the perception of his peers. The fact that his team is in the middle of league in sponsorship revenue in Buffalo is impressive.

Time will certainly tell on this staff and ultimately his legacy.

I think that you(and several posters after your post) are looking at things through brown coloured glasses.

The Bills were aggressive this off season in regards to QB. We determined that Fitz wasn't the answer, we aggressively went after Alex Smith, we brought in the best FA QB(of a very poor pool) and we spent a 1st round pick on the best(in the Bills eyes) QB in the draft.

The Seahawks were aggressive at not wanting to spend too much in finding their future QB. In effect, they were less aggressive than what the Bills have been in the past where we spent 3 1st rounders(Bledsoe, JP, Johnson) and a 3rd(Edwards)......and most people view our past desires for obtaining a Franchise QB to be quite minimal.

The Seahawks essentially went down a similar road to what the Bills have done in the past. Trading for QBs who have no chance to become stars(deluded perhaps as we were with Johnson over one good game)......and spending minimal draft picks on the position.

Had the situations been reversed and we lucked out with Edwards, and Wilson bombed out, it wouldn't change the facts that neither team aggressively tried to obtain their all important Franchise QB......though perhaps people would be shaking their heads and rolling their eyes at the Seahawks at this point and applauding the Bills.

Pure and simple, they got lucky......very lucky.

Edited by Dibs

Give him a chance now. Give Marrone a chance. Give Buddy Hackett a chance. Give E.J. a chance. One year with this bunch and everybody ,is a ball baby again. It`s Russ first year with control. Give this crew a few more years and then start your whining. Yeah Belicheat and Cowher were great during their early years too. Cry baby cry. It will all change soon when Ralph passes,so deal with it for a little while.