How Much is Russ Brandon to Blame for Bills' Current Plight?

patfitz

Pettine, no. Hackett clearly. Crossman he knew from GTech and Marrone picked him fresh out of the Detroit's dumpster.

Tone? Hard to say. Started off somewhat promising but then lost a bunch of games to teams that aren't very good or just plain bad...getting blown out in some or losing late leads in others (and almost in Jax last week too.). To me, there's something missing in the coaching. Why shouldn't they be beating bad teams?

They most certainly should be beating bad teams. Thing is, they haven't really played many bad teams. They played Atlanta, who they failed to finish against; I can't blame the coaches for the mistakes that cost them that one. Tampa Bay I'll absolutely give you; that was a disaster.

I don't see how you can add that they almost lost to Jax and use it to bolster your point, without giving credit for almost beating NE, KC, and hanging tough against NO.

They've also beaten some likely playoff teams (Carolina and Baltimore) and played very tough against others (Cincinnati).

It's awfully hard to come down on the coaching staff that had to play a 3rd string QB for 4 games.

No, they don't. Who's going to thropw to them? Our passing game is at the bottom of the league. And for the record, plenty here were touting Graham as a "dynamic receiving threat" only a year ago and he is anything but.

You were intially arguing that the 2013 draft is the best in years, not could be. I guess you could then argue that the 2014 draft will be the best in years also.

Yes, they do. Not as much as a franchise QB, as I mentioned, but to say that adding talent at the WR position simply doesn't matter is flat out incorrect.

And no, I didn't initially argue that at all...I asked you why the 2013 draft wasn't the best in years. You really didn't answer that, except to say that the 2009 draft, which was 4 draft classes ago, was good.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are told by them that we, as a region are being "maxed out" which is a slap in the face.

I don't mean this disrespectfully or personally, but get over yourself. A slap in the face? The numbers don't lie. The Buffalo market yields the Bills the lowest ticket prices in the league, can afford one of the least frilly stadiums in the league, and routinely waits for Ralph or Russ Salvatore to bail them out so they can watch games on TV. Brandon is making chicken salad out of you-know-what in this market and we should be thankful that he's trying to put the team on the best possible financial footing. If it wasn't for that, why in the world would the next owner want to keep the team in Buffalo?

I don't mean this disrespectfully or personally, but get over yourself. A slap in the face? The numbers don't lie. The Buffalo market yields the Bills the lowest ticket prices in the league, can afford one of the least frilly stadiums in the league, and routinely waits for Ralph or Russ Salvatore to bail them out so they can watch games on TV. Brandon is making chicken salad out of you-know-what in this market and we should be thankful that he's trying to put the team on the best possible financial footing. If it wasn't for that, why in the world would the next owner want to keep the team in Buffalo?

Because we're the greatest fans in the NFL?

PTR

Brandon helped put the people in place that make the personnel decisions, therefore it is his fault.

He doesn't care about winning and is just doing exactly what Ralph would be doing anyways if he wasn't too old to function.

I can't believe how many people are this dense as to think this...yes, he wants to win. So does Ralph. Have they been good at doing so? No.

Failing to understand that distinction is mind boggling to me.

You dont think more is possible? They used to sell over 80,000 tickets a game. Even the "non-sellouts" were 10,000 more tickets sold than current capacity. And now we have the benefit of all this awesome and successful "regionalism". Your not around here, but when the team has one of their hot starts, my phone blows up with people asking me where to find tickets (Im in a group with STs). I look on stubhub for them and you can find anything <$100.

I cant think of a fan base that would perpetually sellout with this many listless consecutive seasons (and looking at who knows how many more)... in any sport. Look at the Redskins. Their attendance is putrid one year after a great season I would kill for (and keep me energized for another decade). Pittsburgh is another one. Nobody is showing up now that they arent front-running. Brandon throwing the failures of his team on the fans is a slap in the face (as a loyal STH). He does not go anywhere out of his way to thank or show appreciation to the fans... at least on a regular basis. We hear more about our inadequacies.

Edited by May Day 10

I'm not a huge RB fan but if he would have used a bit more common sense in some of his decisions i think things could have been much different around 1 Bills drive today & in the future . I will give my opinion which isn't worth a lot by some here !! But here it goes...

The Toronto series could have been a success if the powers that be would have looked beyond the end of their collective noses & truly done a for real search for a coach which involved the thought of all that was involved with making the team a viable franchise in the region .

At the time when they were looking at coaches to replace the Gailey regime the one coach that could have involved drawing canadian people to the games not only to Toronto but also to the Ralph would have been a Canadian coach that had won 2 back to back grey cup championships, not to mention that he had taken almost the exact path as another great coach for the Bills Marv Levy .

If you look at the path that Marv & Marc (even their names are spelled similar) took to a HC ing position it is eerily similar & if hired because of the canadian people knowing him as a CFL Championship winning coach that alone would have taken & made the Bills as their home team more readily than just a losing team from B/lo trying to make money off the canadian people, hence making the Toronto series more successful .

Choosing Marc Trestman with his NFL & CFL resume would have turned the Bills franchise around sooner, gave them more respect through out the NFL coaching circles & made Brandon look like a genius in all's eyes NFL & fans a like .

But he let his heart make his decision for him & the Bills still have no respect, are still losing, & still are not in the play offs !!

I may be mistaken but I think the Bills tried to interview him in the past but he turned us down.

CBF

I can't believe how many people are this dense as to think this...yes, he wants to win. So does Ralph. Have they been good at doing so? No.

You are being pedantic.

They don't care ENOUGH about winning. They sold the biggest competitive advantage a team can get (home field) for cash. Sure, winning would be nice, but it's not the priority. MAKING MONEY is the priority.

I think you are both right.

Brandon goes on his big spiel about how winning at all costs, all resources, etc.

Then his first moves are extending the Toronto series (which does sacrifice some degree of competitive edge), and also the Fitzpatrick salary deferment to the 2014 cap.

You are being pedantic.

They don't care ENOUGH about winning. They sold the biggest competitive advantage a team can get (home field) for cash. Sure, winning would be nice, but it's not the priority. MAKING MONEY is the priority.

No, making money is incumbent upon the team's participation in the CBA. They are required to maximize their efforts to grow their fanbase to the satisfaction of the other teams. If you remember, prior to the 2011 CBA, teams like Dallas and Washington made waves with the other Owners claiming that the small market teams don't do enough. That's why you get things like stock-offerings in Green Bay (who, by the way, used to play home games in a different city as well).

Buffalo's choice was to make mega-bucks by moving a home game to another area of their fan market. Do I like it? No. Has it been beneficial in qualifying the team for their entire share of the revenue provided by the league's TV contracts? Yes. If you don't think this is important, read this:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/10/14/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-revenue.aspx

And yes, they do want to win...badly. They haven't been good at it...it's not a question of desire; it's a question of capability.

Russ Brandon has had his nose in the personnel decisions ever since Wilson canned Donahoe. Brandon is an excellent marketing guy no doubt, one of the best but he has been part of the problem why the football program side with the Bills is a mess and continues to be.

This is simply not true. Even when he was "GM" he deferred all personnel decisions to his football people.

GO BILLS!!!

No, making money is incumbent upon the team's participation in the CBA. They are required to maximize their efforts to grow their fanbase to the satisfaction of the other teams. If you remember, prior to the 2011 CBA, teams like Dallas and Washington made waves with the other Owners claiming that the small market teams don't do enough. That's why you get things like stock-offerings in Green Bay (who, by the way, used to play home games in a different city as well).

Buffalo's choice was to make mega-bucks by moving a home game to another area of their fan market. Do I like it? No. Has it been beneficial in qualifying the team for their entire share of the revenue provided by the league's TV contracts? Yes. If you don't think this is important, read this:

http://www.sportsbus...FL-revenue.aspx

And yes, they do want to win...badly. They haven't been good at it...it's not a question of desire; it's a question of capability.

Good post. Thanks for the link too.

No team that asks for playing most of their home games before thanksgiving due to ticket sales is serious about making the playoffs.

No team that gives up a home game every year is serious about making the playoffs.

No team hires a .500 college head coach who has never achieved anything of note is serious. How in the world is Marrone an upgrade on Chan? I'm not saying chan was good. But how is Marrone better?

No team lets their GM (buddy) who has drafted poorly stay on for "one last draft" for god knows what reason. So he can reach in the first round for a qb who's celieng is a backup?

We as fans keep making excuses for the organization, but the fact remains their actions tell a different story than what they're saying.

Could you Imagine New England giving up a home game? Asking for home games before thanksgiving? Giving mario Williams 100 million dollars when they draft a guy just as good in the second round? We are a looong ways away.

This is 100 percent on Russ Brandon.

Edited by develop818

The main issue I have with Brandon is that he seems to be convinced the overall talent of this roster is better than what I believe it to be...Otherwise though I genuinely like the guy and think he works hard at what he does... B-)

I think it's a pretty talented roster. The inexperience/ injuries at QB killed us. But there are zero excuses for not serious being playoff contenders next year. None.

And Brandon is probably the best friend we have in keeping the Bills in Buffalo long term.

No team that asks for playing most of their home games before thanksgiving due to ticket sales is serious about making the playoffs.

Name one team that plays most of their home games after Thanksgiving.

How many home games did the team play after Thanksgiving last year? Did it result in a playoff berth?

No team that gives up a home game every year is serious about making the playoffs.

See my point above; their hand was kind of forced.

No team hires a .500 college head coach who has never achieved anything of note is serious. How in the world is Marrone an upgrade on Chan? I'm not saying chan was good. But how is Marrone better?

Nobody can say if he's an upgrade; he's a rookie head coach. Chan never won more than 6 games; perhaps Marrone will do so this year.

No team lets their GM (buddy) who has drafted poorly stay on for "one last draft" for god knows what reason. So he can reach in the first round for a qb who's celieng is a backup?

Actually, the vast majority of a time that a GM retires, he stays on through the draft since he's already done the preparation; your opinion about EJ notwithstanding.

We as fans keep making excuses for the organization, but the fact remains their actions tell a different story than what they're saying.

So bringing in a new coach, new football department, signing Mario, drafting a new QB...these things don't communicate a desire to win?

Could up imagine New England giving up a home game? Asking for home games before thanksgiving? Giving mario Williams 100 million dollars when they draft a guy just as good in the second round? We are a looong ways away.

This is 100 percent on Russ Brandon.

Huh?

This article from Vic Carruci after the Dick Jauron firing, falls in line with the fact that Brandon has been very involved in the personnel/football side for many years prior to the announcement last year. Carruci even labels him as the GM.

Mike Shanahan has emerged as the Bills’ “No. 1 candidate” to become their full-time coach after the season, according to a source close to the team.

The source said a meeting between Shanahan, Bills owner Ralph Wilson and Bills chief operating officer/general manager Russ Brandon, who is overseeing the hiring process, likely will take place next week.

http://blogs.nfl.com...ials-next-week/

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

This article from Vic Carruci after the Dick Jauron firing, falls in line with the fact that Brandon has been very involved in the personnel/football side for many years prior to the announcement last year. Carruci even labels him as the GM.

Mike Shanahan has emerged as the Bills’ “No. 1 candidate” to become their full-time coach after the season, according to a source close to the team.

The source said a meeting between Shanahan, Bills owner Ralph Wilson and Bills chief operating officer/general manager Russ Brandon, who is overseeing the hiring process, likely will take place next week.

http://blogs.nfl.com...ials-next-week/

Sigh...nobody argued that he wasn't involved at that time.

What we've said was that he was involved on the personnel side between the time that Levy retired as GM (late 2007) and the time Nix was given the GM's role (late 2009).

Your article confirms this.