How Much is Russ Brandon to Blame for Bills' Current Plight?

patfitz

Beerball made comment on how Seattle was aggressive in how they tried to find their Franchise QB.

An review of the circumstances surrounding the drafting and quick promotion to starter of Wilson shows it was a bold move.

Recall----Carroll had released the Seashawks longtime starter--the servicable but not stellar all time passing leader HAsselback after the 2010. HE then brought in T Jackson who won 7 games in 14 starts, playing at least as well as Hasselbeck the year before.

Not satisfied with T Jackson, Carroll brought in Flynn, a top free agent that off-seaon, for 26 million (10 guaranteed)--the clear implication with that contract was that Flynn was the signed as the putative starter.

Despite having Jackson and signing Flynn, Carroll picked Wilson in the third. Then he opened up a true QB competition in camp. By the 3rd preseason game, Carroll was convinced not only that Wilson was looking solid--he named him the winner of the competition and the starter.

Less than a year (and 11 wins and a wildcard win) later, they traded Flynn, convinced he wasn't needed as a backup.

That's all pretty aggressive, I think. It happened in one off season.

When a bold gamble pays off, the loser always calls it luck.

Edited by Mr. WEO

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again (sorry if I sound like a broken record), nobody said that Brandon didn't make personnel decisions at that time--we're saying that he quickly gave up control of those decisions when Nix was hired.

That is absolutely what happened.

And by the way, it's not only okay for someone to have a different take than you, but it's also possible for them to do so without bring a "Pollyanna". There really doesn't need to be an us vs them mentality to this discussion.

And perhaps try to keep it classy with regard to the way you refer to Brandon. I can understand being upset, but you undermine your otherwise very relevant point(s) when you go that route.

Do you think Brandon happily stepped aside for Nix? Events (which contradicted the posturing) in this past off-season would strongly suggest otherwise.

Do you think Brandon happily stepped aside for Nix? Events (which contradicted the posturing) in this past off-season would strongly suggest otherwise.

How so?

whatever. he treats the fans like chumps. freaking stockholm syndrome around here.

Right...Stockholm syndrome...just like being a football fan. Practically identical...good stuff

An review of the circumstances surrounding the drafting and quick promotion to starter of Wilson shows it was a bold move.

Recall----Carroll had released the Seashawks longtime starter--the servicable but not stellar all time passing leader HAsselback after the 2010. HE then brought in T Jackson who won 7 games in 14 starts, playing at least as well as Hasselbeck the year before.

Not satisfied with T Jackson, Carroll brought in Flynn, a top free agent that off-seaon, for 26 million (10 guaranteed)--the clear implication with that contract was that Flynn was the signed as the putative starter.

Despite having Jackson and signing Flynn, Carroll picked Wilson in the third. Then he opened up a true QB competition in camp. By the 3rd preseason game, Carroll was convinced not only that Wilson was looking solid--he named him the winner of the competition and the starter.

Less than a year (and 11 wins and a wildcard win) later, they traded Flynn, convinced he wasn't needed as a backup.

That's all pretty aggressive, I think. It happened in one off season.

When a bold gamble pays off, the loser always calls it luck.

The aggressive adjective was used to describe how they found their QB, not the fact that they decided to start Wilson over Flynn.....but in relation to your post. Bold? I can't see it sorry. Likely Flynn looked very mediocre and Wilson looked like....well he likely looked like a budding perennial probowler.

Has there been a situation in the modern era where a future star QB was left sitting on the bench when there wasn't an entrenched starter? Obviously with hindsight & not knowing what their training camp looked like, I would say had they not started Wilson they would have been dumb.......boldness doesn't really enter into it.

The aggressive adjective was used to describe how they found their QB, not the fact that they decided to start Wilson over Flynn.....but in relation to your post. Bold? I can't see it sorry. Likely Flynn looked very mediocre and Wilson looked like....well he likely looked like a budding perennial probowler.

Has there been a situation in the modern era where a future star QB was left sitting on the bench when there wasn't an entrenched starter? Obviously with hindsight & not knowing what their training camp looked like, I would say had they not started Wilson they would have been dumb.......boldness doesn't really enter into it.

Flynn and Tavaris Jackson played themselves right out of a job in the Seahawks training camp last year. To his credit, Wilson impressed in the first two preseason games against 3rd and 4th stringers, earned a shot in the all important third game and played very well with the ones. But given how Flynn and Jackson totally crapped the bed, Wilson won the job more by default than by playing lights out. Indeed, Carroll was sweating halfway through the season given Wilson's VERY inconsistent play to that point.

It's nice to wax poetic about how "bold" Carroll was, but Flynn gave him no choice but to roll the dice. All the credit goes to Russell Wilson.

GO BILLS!!!

Totally agree with K-9. That's what I was saying earlier. Flynn was horrible in that camp and pre-season. Wilson won the job by being solid. He is also right that through the first 8 games of last season Wilson had been inconsistent and had real struggles on the road. They didn't win a road game until late in the year. Even this year he has had the odd wobble on the road.... St Louis for example..... Not to say that Russell Wilson is anything but very, very good with potential to be great.

I have no doubt that Brandon wants to WIN --- my issue is when the smartest short-term business decision conflicts with winning, I expect him to always pick winning --- the long-term smart moves are to do the things that help you win --- I don't believe other owners and presidents operate this way with teams that win --- I'm sure it happens with Jags, Bengals and Raiders --- as well as Royals in baseball and others in that sport --- but that is NOT what happens with perennial championship teams like Pats, Steelers, Yankees, Red Sox etc ---- I realize this is Buffalo, but the NFL has stacked the deck in a way that a small city team can compete --- and make money --- also, why in the hell does a 93-year old owner care about profit ?

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but I have seen world class organizations and bad ones but th goal of the president in every situation is the same -the bottom line. I have 3 friends at the Yankees and you would be blown away at the way that they operate. The president works for the owner an his duty and responsibility is to maximize the owner's profit. That is what people are not understanding. The defensive coorinator's job is to coach the defense and the president is in charge of revenue. I have seen it a thousand times in 3 different organizations. That is the reality.

Someone brought up personnel and the president being consulted. Of course the boss of the organization will be consulted! He needs to sign off money wise, character wise, etc.. They do not do the scouting or make the final decision. Again, I am not trying to sound condescending but I think that people are a little confused as to what a team president's role is.