What are the four weakest starting players?

bisonbrigade

what i "want" is a FRANCHISE QB (Top 10).....EJ is NEVER !! going to be that.

all you folks who want to give EJ time probably said the same darn thing for trent edwards and ryan fitzpatrick.

they are MEDIOCRE.....and that just isn't good enough.

i'm all for keeping and developing EJ, i like him......but i would invest heavily in another QB through the draft or free agency who is better than EJ.

Haha, okay, buddy. I'm glad you've seen into the future and know what we should, or shouldn't expect from EJ.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton & EJ are not comparable.

Compare EJ to RG III, Geno Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Tim Tebow.......none of them are going to become FRANCHISE QB's.....they may hang around awhile, but their accuracy issues is what will derail them.

EJ hasn't even played a full season it is to early to compare him to anybody. Give him a chance, I bet he will look pretty good these last two games.

what i "want" is a FRANCHISE QB (Top 10).....EJ is NEVER !! going to be that.

all you folks who want to give EJ time probably said the same darn thing for trent edwards and ryan fitzpatrick.

they are MEDIOCRE.....and that just isn't good enough.

i'm all for keeping and developing EJ, i like him......but i would invest heavily in another QB through the draft or free agency who is better than EJ.

Which Franchise QB were you sold on during their rookie year?

Jim Kelly? Drew Brees? John Elway? Steve Young? Warren Moon? Troy Aikman?

IT TAKES TIME TO DEVELOP A QUARTERBACK, even a HOF QB like the guys listed above. Every one of which you'd have run out of town on a rail, screaming that they "won't ever be The Guy".

Haha, okay, buddy. I'm glad you've seen into the future and know what we should, or shouldn't expect from EJ.

other than a QB.........if you could add one superstar player at any position from any team to our current roster, who would it be and how many more wins would you expect ?

you could add Patrick Willis, Rober Mathis or JJ Watt and maybe we win one more game.

you add a Franchise QB and we win 5 more games.

Nobody's disagreeing with you!!

There are less than 10 can't miss QB's in the NFL. May be we have one, may be we don't. You're the only one saying definitively that we don't.

Also: linebacker support would have won us the Falcons game, probably the Cincy game too.

Definitely the Cleveland game. May be one is just not accurate.

Which Franchise QB were you sold on during their rookie year?

Jim Kelly? Drew Brees? John Elway? Steve Young? Warren Moon? Troy Aikman?

IT TAKES TIME TO DEVELOP A QUARTERBACK, even a HOF QB like the guys listed above. Every one of which you'd have run out of town on a rail, screaming that they "won't ever be The Guy".

Andrew Luck

i'm NOT running EJ out of town........i'm neither waiting for or counting on him to develop as my ONLY guy.......the position is just to dang important.

EJ has SERIOUS accuracy issues and he needs his legs to be successful......guys like that get injured alot.......you need to invest in another QB now....not in 2-3 years.

Andrew Luck

i'm NOT running EJ out of town........i'm neither waiting for or counting on him to develop as my ONLY guy.......the position is just to dang important.

EJ has SERIOUS accuracy issues and he needs his legs to be successful......guys like that get injured alot.......you need to invest in another QB now....not in 2-3 years.

Andrew Luck was well-touted coming out of college as the best prospect since Manning. He was the first overall pick, we had no prayer of getting him. So who's your Andrew Luck? Since it's scientifically impossible to engineer a QB, please tell us who we should draft.

Chandler is second on the team in rec. yards and catches. The number 1 has 4 more catches and 28 more yards. If Chandler is one of the worst players on the team, as some of you are saying, maybe we should just replace the whole offense.........

Receiving numbers are down accross the board due to inconsistancy at qb(multiple injuries and multiple inexperienced qbs behind center as a result). TE will be fine, Wr is ok - still lacks that mythical catch the ball even when hes covered type of guy. OL has been pathetic as of late, in run and pass blocking. LG - Doug Legursky looks like a college level gaurd out there. RT - Pears played his worst game as a bill this past week.

Also has anyone else noticed how slow Jairus Byrd looks out there in pursuit? Last week he was out ran by a LB(bradham) chasing running back into endzone on long run. This past week I noticed the same slowness, He can not run down anyone from behind. Maybe its the fasciitis creeping up again???

I'd take away Strong Safety, because I think Aaron Williams is playing well and add OLB. Moats and Bradham are great depth but aren't starting material. They are part of the run game problem.

Totally agreed on this one... Been getting burned all year with those guys playing LB... Also need an upgrade to the O-Line..

Andrew Luck was well-touted coming out of college as the best prospect since Manning. He was the first overall pick, we had no prayer of getting him. So who's your Andrew Luck? Since it's scientifically impossible to engineer a QB, please tell us who we should draft.

Andrew Luck

So you use a once in a generation QB to make your case? Andrews numbers weren't mind blowing last year. Not that numbers mean everything. He also had a bunch of 4th quarter comebacks. Do you know why he had a bunch? Inconsistent play from the QB position. He made mistakes last year and wasn't without errors.

So who's the franchise QB in this next draft?

assumimg we pick 10th.....

#1- Teddy Bridgewater - Louisville (probably gone)

#2- Brett Hundley - UCLA (probably there )

Then I go back to my original statement: if you're sitting around waiting for the Bills to take a QB with their first pick, brace for let down. But at least you'll have something complain about!

assumimg we pick 10th.....

#1- Teddy Bridgewater - Louisville (probably gone)

#2- Brett Hundley - UCLA (probably there )

Teddy Bridgwater may not even be entering the draft...

EDIT: so let's use Hundley and revisit this post in a years time, see how you feel about his rookie year.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

With the off-season approaching the Bills need to improve there roster threw free agency and the draft. Just wondering what people think are the four weakest starting positions on the team. Here is my picks,

1. Left guard,Number one weakest starter. No NFL Caliber starting player on team.

2. Tight End,Chandler would be a good second string but need a beast at the position.

3. Strong Safety, all those gashing long runs are because there is no sheriff patrolling behind the line.

4. Right Tackle. Eric Pears is a good back up but gets owned from time to time.

The Bills should get bigger and more physical on offense, EJ plays best with play action and roll outs of play action.

whats your take?

1. LG

2. QB (close second)

3. 3rd WR (a starter in todays NFL)

4. RG

I disagree with the SS. There are so many plays in the Bills defense where Kiko is the only man within 10 yards of the line at the snap that it really shouldn't be surprising that teams get big runs once they escape that front. This defense is built to do what it is doing. One of the reasons I don't think Marrone intended to be a team that runs the ball 2 out of 3 offensive plays is because if he did he should have hired a bend but don't break DC. Pettine plays an aggressive D that is best supported by an offense that wants a maximum number of posessions.......like the way Denver plays. He plays this defense more aggressively than Ryan from what I have seen.

I also disagree with TE. Chandler is not very good, but compared to TJ Graham he is a world beater. Hopefully TJ blooms next year.......but right now that position gives the Bills nothing......week in and week out. TE is in need of a big upgrade, but more because of the evolution of the game than because Chandler stinks. Ten years ago a player like Chandler is a top 12 type TE in the NFL. Now......most teams have at least one who is better than Chandler and some have two. Lee Smith is basically just an OL, he doesn't play a dual role in the passing game.

I think Urbik is the 4th. Which IMO is really saying that this roster is pretty good. It's just hard to win with bad QB play.......which is what the Bills have had most of the season. Urbik has struggled this year. Now he is hurt. They would probably benefit more by getting a dynamic TE than a top draft pick guard to replace Urbik but in terms of performance this year he has been the 4th man out, IMO.

Teddy Bridgwater may not even be entering the draft...

EDIT: so let's use Hundley and revisit this post in a years time, see how you feel about his rookie year.

and in the unlikely event he is worse than EJ.......then i'm picking, trading for or signing a free agent again and again until i get it right.......

in todays game, until you have a FRANCHISE QB......you are either spinning your wheels or completely wasting your time.

and in the unlikely event he is worse than EJ.......then i'm picking, trading for or signing a free agent again and again until i get it right.......

in todays game, until you have a FRANCHISE QB......you are either spinning your wheels or completely wasting your time.

But your expectations are ludicrous. If you expect a franchise qb to emerge after 10 games, you'll be going through a new one EVERY year, no doubt at the expense of one or two. Does this not make sense to you?

Then we're at an impasse. There's no way you can convince me that an OG is less of a priority than a TE for this team. Interior defenders routinely get a fistfull of jersey before our RB's even reach the LOS.

You mean our 2 top 20 RBs? The ones who are the 4th ranked run offense in the league? They must be covered with grease of they are getting all those hands on their jerseys in the backfield...

Maybe you are confusing the running game with the Bills awful passing game. You see, that's where a top athletic TE would come in handy. An OG only stands out when he plays poorly. I'll take the big, fast TE with good hands (Gronk, Graham, Davis, Gonzales type) over any OG you can name.

I don't think anyone is disputing that fact.

You are claiming, as a matter of fact, that EJ is never going to be one. That's what some people are disputing. How exactly do you know that?

You mean our 2 top 20 RBs? The ones who are the 4th ranked run offense in the league? They must be covered with grease of they are getting all those hands on their jerseys in the backfield...

Maybe you are confusing the running game with the Bills awful passing game. You see, that's where a top athletic TE would come in handy. An OG only stands out when he plays poorly. I'll take the big, fast TE with good hands (Gronk, Graham, Davis, Gonzales type) over any OG you can name.

The problem with this request: name 5 more. You can't. They're a rare breed.

But your expectations are ludicrous. If you expect a franchise qb to emerge after 10 games, you'll be going through a new one EVERY year, no doubt at the expense of one or two. Does this not make sense to you?

first of all, all i have right now is one possible guy (EJ) and that ain't looking good. so i can afford to add one or two more potential franchise QB's.

of course for the next couple years we can continue are record of not making the playoffs since 1999 doing it your way.

first of all, all i have right now is one possible guy (EJ) and that ain't looking good. so i can afford to add one or two more potential franchise QB's.

of course for the next couple years we can continue are record of not making the playoffs since 1999 doing it your way.

okay, you also keep stating as a matter of fact that ej sucks...yet: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/164432-measuring-ejs-progress/page__view__findpost__p__3006023

biggest needs in order of impact (more wins):

#1- FRANCHISE QB ( EJ is not that guy) if peyton manning was the QB of this team, we would be 9-5

#2- RT (move pears to LG) draft a LT and play him at RT

#3- DT ( move Dareus to DE) draft a NOSE TACKLE who can stop the run

#4- TE (weakest unit on team) TE's create the greatest mismatches

#5- OLB ( moats and bradham stink) Hughes and Lawson are ok, but after that nothing.

more than likely a franchise QB willl not be worth using our 10th overall pick for, but a LT will be there.

#3!!!! Love that idea! I'd put that at #1. We still aren't great at stopping the run

okay, you also keep stating as a matter of fact that ej sucks...yet: http://forums.twobil...ost__p__3006023

i think your confusing me with someone else......i have never said EJ "sucks"

what i keep saying is he will NEVER be a franchise qb......(that's my opinion based mostly on his serious lack of accuracy).

for the record, i like EJ, i'm glad we drafted him, i want to keep him, i hope he gets better.

after 11 games he is ranked 28th in both passer rating and total QBR. i say in a couple years he peaks just inside the Top 20. that ain't good enough for that position.

Good topic.

We need a LG first, then a big run-stuffing MLB (moving Kiko outside). After that, a big target WR and a TE.

Not sure what the current coaching would even do with these upgrades, but that's what we need.

In Pettine's defense? Please no...the guy is ideal for an ILB.

OP suffered credibity concerns with stating SS. LG, run stuffing LB, RT, And a Megatron clone WR. No more smurfs.

No problemo...just pick up a clone of the (arguably) best WR ever to play the game.

i think your confusing me with someone else......i have never said EJ "sucks"

what i keep saying is he will NEVER be a franchise qb......(that's my opinion based mostly on his serious lack of accuracy).

for the record, i like EJ, i'm glad we drafted him, i want to keep him, i hope he gets better.

after 11 games he is ranked 28th in both passer rating and total QBR. i say in a couple years he peaks just inside the Top 20. that ain't good enough for that position.

If he had bad accuracy and flawless mechanics, I'd be worried. But he doesn't. He has very correctable mechanics issues, and I fully expect a lot of improvement from him between now and September.

I'll be watching his feet in August.

I think our problems come down to two things:

1- QB play

2- Can't stop the run.

So that means we need

1- QB

2- Not exactly sure what the problem is, could use another LB and I'm sure getting our DL healthy will help but, I think it is mainly our scheme - play pass first run second.

I think our problems come down to two things:

1- QB play

2- Can't stop the run.

So that means we need

1- QB

2- Not exactly sure what the problem is, could use another LB and I'm sure getting our DL healthy will help but, I think it is mainly our scheme - play pass first run second.

We actually do a fine job of stopping the run...much MUCH better than last year

If he had bad accuracy and flawless mechanics, I'd be worried. But he doesn't. He has very correctable mechanics issues, and I fully expect a lot of improvement from him between now and September.

I'll be watching his feet in August.

where i expect to see the most improvement is from reading the defenses/ pocket awareness on blitzes.......EJ is very smart, in time i think the game will slow down for him as they say. what i am not confident about is when you start tinkering with arm mechanics most guys get worse. footwork can always be improved but accuracy is something you either have or you dont.

last year we ranked 30th in rushing defense

this year we rank 25th in rushing defense

that is much better....yet it still sucks and is a huge problem.

Take the rankings and shove 'em. Anyone who watched last year's team and this one knows--without a doubt--we're better against the run.

Why we suddenly starting giving up long TD runs against Tampa and Atlanta, I haven't the foggiest, but let's not pretend those were indicative of the entire year.