What are the four weakest starting players?

bisonbrigade

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People love to call for a tight end, but I maintain it's a luxury position, that Chandler is good enough. Folks, he's the best we've had in years.

Off the top of my head, looking at all the teams in the league, here are the only ones I'd identify as having a significantly better TE than us, and as you see, not all of these teams are significantly better...

1. Cleveland

2. Indy

3. Cincy

4. New England

5. Denver

6. Dallas

7. Minnesota

8. New Orleans

9. Carolina

10. Atlanta

11. San Fran

This sums up the thinking of many and misses a few points. There's good and there's "Buffalo good". The latter is what we settle for and support year in and year out. Guys like Chandler and SJ are not coveted by any other team's fans.

Also, the records of teams with better TEs than Chandler is a bizarre metric to decide whether we need a better TE--as if that's why they aren't any better, or as if having a better TE cannot make this team or at least this offense any better.

Finley sucks, Pettigrew fine, Clay may be, Pitta may be, Daniels fine, Bennet no, Reed no.

But even if we were to take every player we've both listed, that makes Chanlder the 20th best TE in the league, and of the 19 teams with better ones, we've beaten three, gone to overtime with two and have better records than four others.

That leaves 10.

Sure...I think the over-riding point regarding TEs is that getting an elite one generally takes the offense to another level. That's why the guys like Graham, Gronkoswki, Gonzalez, Witten, and Davis are so highly thought-of IMO.

I believe that getting a guy like that would be huge for the Bills; I've been less than enamored with Chandler this year.

This sums up the thinking of many and misses a few points. There's good and there's "Buffalo good". The latter is what we settle for and support year in and year out. Guys like Chandler and SJ are not coveted by any other team's fans.

Also, the records of teams with better TEs than Chandler is a bizarre metric to decide whether we need a better TE--as if that's why they aren't any better, or as if having a better TE cannot make this team or at least this offense any better.

The point was to show that a new tight end aint gonna suddenly bring us to the promise land.

EJ can play don't need a QB, but the team has to be built around his strengths. He is best at play action and bootlegs and rollouts. That is why they need a stud Guard, Tight End and better Tackle to stuff the ball down teams throats. He plays better with a two tight ends and a full back. I mentioned SS because I get tired of seeing Running backs rip off 20 yard runs on us. But Aron Williams is playing good and may not be the issue.

Sure...I think the over-riding point regarding TEs is that getting an elite one generally takes the offense to another level. That's why the guys like Graham, Gronkoswki, Gonzalez, Witten, and Davis are so highly thought-of IMO.

I believe that getting a guy like that would be huge for the Bills; I've been less than enamored with Chandler this year.

Agreed.

If Peyton Manning had been a Bills draft pick, you would have run him out of town on a rail, stating: (Peyton is not that guy) if joe montana was the starting QB of this team, we would be 9-5

In his first year with the Colts, Manning went 3-13. He thew more INTs (28) than TDs (26), a completeion % of only 56.7%, and a QB Rating of 71.2.

Quarterbacks take time to develop. You have no idea what EJ is going to be yet.

Peyton & EJ are not comparable.

Compare EJ to RG III, Geno Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Tim Tebow.......none of them are going to become FRANCHISE QB's.....they may hang around awhile, but their accuracy issues is what will derail them.

Compare EJ to RG III, Geno Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Tim Tebow.......none of them are going to become FRANCHISE QB's.....they may hang around awhile, but their accuracy issues is what will derail them.

It's starting to feel like you want this to be the case.

The point was to show that a new tight end aint gonna suddenly bring us to the promise land.

No one is suggesting that's all it takes.

Agreed.

What are you agreeing with? He's saying that an elite TE takes an offense to another level and that would be huge for the Bills and that Chandler isn't good enough.

You just posted the exact opposite, saying an elite TE is a luxury position, Chandler is good enough and teams with much better TEs aren't at another level.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Speaking in absolutes 10 games into a guy's career is folly IMO

1. Ralph Wilson. Out of touch penny pinching meddlesome owner who mailed it in a long time ago and cares only about his bottom line.

2. Littman/Overdorf. Wilson's bean counting lackeys see above.

3. Russ Brandon. Wilson's ambassador of bullcrap and deceit. He's good at feeding the fan base bullcrap for Wilson with infusion of hope and success. Wilson's Padawon has learned in the 13 yes he's been here that it's Ralph's money and A hardy F U to the fans as long as that money keeps streaming in screw the onfield product.

4 Nate Hackett. He has some decent play calls from time to time but is severely mishandling and underutilizing the talent on this offense with unimaginative and predictable 1st down up the middle running plays for no yardage. He needs to do a better job or Marrone's buttbuddy needs to pound sand.

Edited by LVBillsBackr

Right, take an offense to the next level? From good to great. Right now we're poor-average, and need more pressing tools just to get to good.

Well then the "next level" we need to be taken to is "good". A top TE will take go a long way to taking us to the next level--far more than any OG.

Finley sucks, Pettigrew fine, Clay may be, Pitta may be, Daniels fine, Bennet no, Reed no.

But even if we were to take every player we've both listed, that makes Chandler the 20th best TE in the league, and of the 19 teams with better ones, we've beaten three, gone to overtime with two and have better records than four others.

That leaves 10.

When 12 teams make the playoffs 10 is quite the ratio. That said TE is (or can be) a qb's best friend especially a young qb. Having that big TE would lessen the need for a big WR as they would/could fill the same redzone role.

Also looking at the Pats* without Gronk and Hernandez, and the Saints when Graham gets shut down, they can be a huge part of making offenses go. These are considered high octane offenses when their te's are humming and can be pedestrian without them.

Well then the "next level" we need to be taken to is "good". A top TE will take go a long way to taking us to the next level--far more than any OG.

Then we're at an impasse. There's no way you can convince me that an OG is less of a priority than a TE for this team. Interior defenders routinely get a fistfull of jersey before our RB's even reach the LOS.

Right now this is what I consider a fairly idea off-season, keeping things somewhat realistic (no Jimmy Graham etc)

free agency

Paul Soliai DT

Matt Slauson OG

Austin Howard OT

Draft

1.Khalil Mack LB

2.Kelvin Benjamin WR

3.C.J. Fiedorowicz TE

4.Donte Moncrief WR

5.Andrew Jackson LB

6.Marcel Jensen TE

7. Tim Flanders RB

Edited by ....lybob

Why aren't EJ and Peyton comprable in their first year?

Peyton's accuracy issues were far worse than EJ's as a rookie.

It's starting to feel like you want this to be the case.

what i "want" is a FRANCHISE QB (Top 10).....EJ is NEVER !! going to be that.

all you folks who want to give EJ time probably said the same darn thing for trent edwards and ryan fitzpatrick.

they are MEDIOCRE.....and that just isn't good enough.

i'm all for keeping and developing EJ, i like him......but i would invest heavily in another QB through the draft or free agency who is better than EJ.