What are the four weakest starting players?

bisonbrigade

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Luck

Were you refereing to the Andrew Luck who played for the Colts last year, who had a TD/INT ratio of 23/18, was sacked 41 times, had a completion % of only 54.1%, and a QB Rating of only 76.5? The Andrew Luck who has a QB Rating of only 85.2 this year while still having a completion % of only 58.7%, and whose passing YPG has taken a major step back to only 235.6? That guy? He's the "sure thing" you're holding out for? We don't know what he's going to develop into yet either.

i'm NOT running EJ out of town........i'm neither waiting for or counting on him to develop as my ONLY guy.......the position is just to dang important.

EJ has SERIOUS accuracy issues and he needs his legs to be successful......guys like that get injured alot.......you need to invest in another QB now....not in 2-3 years.

News Flash:

How do you develop him without reps? How do you develop either without either having the confidence instilled by knowing that it's their team?

Take the rankings and shove 'em. Anyone who watched last year's team and this one knows--without a doubt--we're better against the run.

Why we suddenly starting giving up long TD runs against Tampa and Atlanta, I haven't the foggiest, but let's not pretend those were indicative of the entire year.

This argument has been happening all season.

I'm still of the opinion, rankings or not, that we've improved over last year. But last year was SO BAD, that it doesn't really amount to much, as we're still pedestrian, if not below average compared to the rest of the league.

Take the rankings and shove 'em. Anyone who watched last year's team and this one knows--without a doubt--we're better against the run.

Why we suddenly starting giving up long TD runs against Tampa and Atlanta, I haven't the foggiest, but let's not pretend those were indicative of the entire year.

thats like saying: on his report card my kid got an "F" last year (30th) and this year he got a "D" (25th).......anyone knows without a doubt thats better.

Were you refereing to the Andrew Luck who played for the Colts last year, who had a TD/INT ratio of 23/18, was sacked 41 times, had a completion % of only 54.1%, and a QB Rating of only 76.5? The Andrew Luck who has a QB Rating of only 85.2 this year while still having a completion % of only 58.7%, and whose passing YPG has taken a major step back to only 235.6? That guy? He's the "sure thing" you're holding out for? We don't know what he's going to develop into yet either.

News Flash:

How do you develop him without reps? How do you develop either without either having the confidence instilled by knowing that it's their team?

it's called practice.....and if practice isn't at "game speed" then they are wasting their time.

if a QB can't play under the pressure of knowing he may lose his job, then he certainly can't play under playoff pressure.

thats like saying: on his report card my kid got an "F" last year (30th) and this year he got a "D" (25th).......anyone knows without a doubt thats better.

it's called practice.....and if practice isn't at "game speed" then they are wasting their time.

if a QB can't play under the pressure of knowing he may lose his job, then he certainly can't play under playoff pressure.

At what point in this thread do you start believing everyone calling you nuts has some level credibility? :rolleyes:

/facepalm

How do you develop them without practice reps. Your reps are limited. If you're dividing them between 2-3 guys, rather than one guy, none of them are going to develop.

Baloney.

Why do you think it is that QB development isn't done by committee? Why don't successful organizations do this? Are you loving the outcomes in Washington this year? Do you long for the days of the Johnson/Flutie locker room infighting? Are you aware that the phrase Quarterback Controversy is nearly synonymous with failure?

when folks stop being satisfied with the 25th best run defense and the 28th best QB.

What gives you the impression that "folks are satisfied"? All I've seen is that people on this board think EJ can get better and become a franchise QB...what part of that makes you think they're "satisfied with the 28th best QB"?

I've also seen many posters say they want to see a LB upgrade...what part of that makes you think they're "satisfied with the 25th best run defense" (by the way, they're actually 23rd in YPC)?

LG(whoever is the LG du jour)

Pears-has really struggled badly in many games both run and pass blocking

Manuel/backup QB-this isn't to say he won't be good, but he is wildly inconsistent from game to game and even quarter to quarter. With better QB play, we are at least 8-6 and in the hunt for the playoffs...Lewis was OK for times but struggled also, same with Tuel

Bradham/Moats-I really thought Bradham was playing well towards the end of last year, but he played sparingly up til the TB game...Moats is good depth but not starting caliber...

Chandler is second on the team in rec. yards and catches. The number 1 has 4 more catches and 28 more yards. If Chandler is one of the worst players on the team, as some of you are saying, maybe we should just replace the whole offense.........

Receiving numbers are down accross the board due to inconsistancy at qb(multiple injuries and multiple inexperienced qbs behind center as a result). TE will be fine, Wr is ok - still lacks that mythical catch the ball even when hes covered type of guy. OL has been pathetic as of late, in run and pass blocking. LG - Doug Legursky looks like a college level gaurd out there. RT - Pears played his worst game as a bill this past week.

Also has anyone else noticed how slow Jairus Byrd looks out there in pursuit? Last week he was out ran by a LB(bradham) chasing running back into endzone on long run. This past week I noticed the same slowness, He can not run down anyone from behind. Maybe its the fasciitis creeping up again???

Never said Chandler was a bum, except the Atlanta butterfingers game, but he is not elite. Edited by bisonbrigade

With the off-season approaching the Bills need to improve there roster threw free agency and the draft. Just wondering what people think are the four weakest starting positions on the team. Here is my picks,

1. Left guard,Number one weakest starter. No NFL Caliber starting player on team.

2. Tight End,Chandler would be a good second string but need a beast at the position.

3. Strong Safety, all those gashing long runs are because there is no sheriff patrolling behind the line.

4. Right Tackle. Eric Pears is a good back up but gets owned from time to time.

The Bills should get bigger and more physical on offense, EJ plays best with play action and roll outs of play action.

whats your take?

I agree that LG and SS are the two weakest

I'd say that #1 receiving position is next followed by the WLB position.

I'd also like to see the TE position and RT addressed too but

If I had to pick the 4 weakest starting players, I would have to start with Doug Legursky. While he's OK next to Glenn in pass blocking, he's downright awful in the running game. Next I would probably have to go with Eric Pears. If I were in charge of the draft next year, I would likely be thinking offensive line with my first two picks or trading down to get more picks and still taking linemen with the first two. I'm still not sold on Aaron Williams being anything more than a transition at strong safety. He's made some plays, but hasn't been great by any stretch of the imagination. After the first 3 guys which quite honestly were pretty easy, it gets tougher for me. I would probably have to go with Nigel Bradham. This year has been too up and down in terms of pass defense to not consider the whole OLB group to be suspect. Alonso is the only bright spot.

In Pettine's defense? Please no...the guy is ideal for an ILB.

'

FYI - they did see him as a weak side olb when drafted but he played himself into the middle. So I think they could go outside with him depending on the roster as Pettine mentions below. So is there an ilb who can push him outside in fa/the draft or do you stay with him in the middle and draft someone else for the outside. I think it makes draft day a little more interesting. You don't think he will be better with more space to roam on the outside?

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/11/28/pettine-kiko-has-exceeded-expectations/

"... We saw him as more of a weak side linebacker, but just kind of given our roster situation he was forced to play the mike linebacker and call all the signals. What helped him was everybody was new to the system too. The fact that everybody was new we decided to try it and it was a no brainer from the first day.”

'

FYI - they did see him as a weak side olb when drafted but he played himself into the middle. So I think they could go outside with him depending on the roster as Pettine mentions below. So is there an ilb who can push him outside in fa/the draft or do you stay with him in the middle and draft someone else for the outside. I think it makes draft day a little more interesting. You don't think he will be better with more space to roam on the outside?

http://blogs.buffalo...d-expectations/

"... We saw him as more of a weak side linebacker, but just kind of given our roster situation he was forced to play the mike linebacker and call all the signals. What helped him was everybody was new to the system too. The fact that everybody was new we decided to try it and it was a no brainer from the first day.”

Thanks for the link...Weak-side and outside are two different things in Pettine's D. The Will is actually an inside backer (that's what Moats plays now)...the Sam is really the only traditional outside 'backer in Pettine's D, as the other side in the base D is played by a Leo defender (hybrid DE/OLB)...usually Mario.