2014 Draft Defensive Line

ColdBlueNorth

I am not sure if Dareus was playing over the center on the Robinson run and fumble, or if it was Johnson or some other DT. Whoever it was, he was totally owned by the Jacksonville center. He was steered to the side and pancaked and that allowed the long run that without an incredible effort by Aaron Williams probably would have cost us the game.

I still think the Bills need a 2-gap 0-technique player that will allow them to play a more traditional 3-man front yet have good interior gap control.

With that need in mind, I think it would be hard to pass on someone like Ra'Shede Hageman out of Minnesota who projects more towards a 3 technique DE or DT. It sounds crazy, but he has the height, speed, and athleticism to be a TE if he wanted to go that route.

Yep, believe it or not there's a Golden Gopher worth drafting :D

He is more in a Mario Williams mold rather than a Wilfork as he is a bit taller, but he keeps his pads low, plays with excellent leverage, and is extremely strong. Freakishly athletic seems to be a common adjective used as he has a lot of versatility. I get to see all the U of M games out here in Siberia and it does not matter who is in front of this kid, he simply dominates everyone across from him. Even when stacked up, he seems to be able to shed blockers left or right at will.

Interesting back story:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/87326/gophers-hageman-structured-for-success

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, my view is that Kiko is making some rookie mistakes, and overrunning his assignment. some of these big runs are on him not being in position. Of course, with all the free lance Pettine calls, its sometimes hard to judge if he is out of place or not. Anyhow, I am not sure these long runs are all on the D-line. some of it is LB group out of position, some of it is the chance taking defense that Pettine dials up. when with the Jets, they always gave up some big plays, thats the tradeoff for all the sacks they get. When robie or Byrd are in the backfield, they aren't covering receivers. whne a lb stunts, something is uncovered. And, sometimes the offense hits the uncovered slot. I think we have good D line folks, and the scheme is part of these long breakdown runs.

My observation of that particular play...

The Bills defense was overloaded on one side of the ball, and Jacksonville simply went the other direction. It was very well blocked by the Jaguars, with too many blockers and not enough defenders.

Bradham was the closest unblocked defender, and probably could have made the tackle after a gain of 5-6, but he way too late to react. And I don't know what the heck Jairus Byrd was doing, because Robinson was 20 yards past the line of scrimmage before he came to meet him.

The player being knocked down by the center (I think, it was hard to see the number) was Stefan Charles. Dareus was over the right guard. I don't think it was fair to say he was "pancaked" though. He was reaching for the ball carrier, then got knocked over when he was off balance.

That play was mainly on the linebackers, specifically Manny Lawson and Kiko Alonso. That DT (I thought it was Branch, but may have been Charles) was engaged with the C and got pushed to his right by the RG, then fought his way back and made a strong effort to reach out and make the tackle as he went down. Lawson could have filled that gap, but for some reason took an awful angle and ran up the ass of the DE which made it ridiculously easy for the FB to block him out of the play. Kiko could have made a play, or at least slowed it down, but he got owned by the RG.

After he split the LBs Robinson ran past Byrd like he was standing still.

Edited by Rob's House

I am not sure if Dareus was playing over the center on the Robinson run and fumble, or if it was Johnson or some other DT. Whoever it was, he was totally owned by the Jacksonville center. He was steered to the side and pancaked and that allowed the long run that without an incredible effort by Aaron Williams probably would have cost us the game.

I still think the Bills need a 2-gap 0-technique player that will allow them to play a more traditional 3-man front yet have good interior gap control.

With that need in mind, I think it would be hard to pass on someone like Ra'Shede Hageman out of Minnesota who projects more towards a 3 technique DE or DT. It sounds crazy, but he has the height, speed, and athleticism to be a TE if he wanted to go that route.

Yep, believe it or not there's a Golden Gopher worth drafting :D

He is more in a Mario Williams mold rather than a Wilfork as he is a bit taller, but he keeps his pads low, plays with excellent leverage, and is extremely strong. Freakishly athletic seems to be a common adjective used as he has a lot of versatility. I get to see all the U of M games out here in Siberia and it does not matter who is in front of this kid, he simply dominates everyone across from him. Even when stacked up, he seems to be able to shed blockers left or right at will.

Interesting back story:

http://espn.go.com/b...red-for-success

our D-line is fine, mistakes happen, Kyle was manhandling his guy all day. Another ILB along Kiko will go along way to stiffing up our Run D.

Actually, my view is that Kiko is making some rookie mistakes, and overrunning his assignment. some of these big runs are on him not being in position. Of course, with all the free lance Pettine calls, its sometimes hard to judge if he is out of place or not. Anyhow, I am not sure these long runs are all on the D-line. some of it is LB group out of position, some of it is the chance taking defense that Pettine dials up. when with the Jets, they always gave up some big plays, thats the tradeoff for all the sacks they get. When robie or Byrd are in the backfield, they aren't covering receivers. whne a lb stunts, something is uncovered. And, sometimes the offense hits the uncovered slot. I think we have good D line folks, and the scheme is part of these long breakdown runs.

and the jets have a great run D, I think another year in the system and we will be that much better.

Moats and Bradham are terrible. Neither of them is NFL material. They don't have the athleticism or instincts to make an impact. Kiko has had a good year, but he looks much better in space when running players down, than filling holes near the line because he lacks bulk. Adding another stout LB and bulking Kiko up some are very important for our D this offseason. As for the D line, at times it is solid against the run, but has had far too many breakdowns. I would like to see some more bulk in the middle. Dareus and K Williams still get pushed around at times. Stopping the run has to become a top priority for this team moving forward.

our D-line is fine, mistakes happen, Kyle was manhandling his guy all day. Another ILB along Kiko will go along way to stiffing up our Run D.

From what I saw our D was overloaded to their right as someone else noted, with one of our DT lined up in the 1 on the left, then he shifted to a traditional 0 - heads-up on the center. From what Marrone has said, Pettine does not like to talk about gap control and fits so it would be interesting to hear his take, but when you are lined up in a 0 you are normally playing nose and have responsibility for the gaps to either side. Robinson hit the 1 gap to the right of the center where our nose traditionally would have his fit.

I did not see a guard coming over to help the center, I just saw whoever we had lined up over the center get steered to the right, walled off, then pancaked all alone by the Jags center. Everyone likes to say that is the linebackers role, and I will check out that video again, but on that play I believe Pettine had the linebackers up near the line shaded to the strong side and they just got caught in traffic Byrd may have had a shot at him, but was caught flat-footed and never adjusted to the play.

It may have been a good place for a linebacker like Kiko to be, but a nose holding his ground would have helped.

Disagree vehemently on drafting dline in the first.

There are 8 top 50 picks on defense all signed through 2014.

There are 4 top 50 picks on offense.

The 2014 draft needs to be about upgrading the WR and TE and oline on the team. At least the first three picks and maybe 4 if we trade down again.

You can sprinkle in a 4th round LB and we're good.

The defense leads the league in sacks and INTs.

The defense is more than good enough in 2014. Not that you rest but if the offense could do something more than 3 and out half the time then the defense would look even better.

Edited by Why So Serious?