Would You Spend a 3rd or 4th on AJ McCarron?

H2o

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy is a 3 year starter in the toughest conference in America. He does everything to win games for his team, especially by NOT making the mistakes that cost them the game (only 13 interceptions in 3 years as a starater). He has won two BCS Championships in those 3 years as a starter. He is consistent, completing 67% of his passes. People will talk about the "lack" of elite arm strength, but it's not like he has the arm of Chad Pennington. He is calm in pressure packed situations as well and never seems to truly get rattled. He has had a bad game every now and again, but they were very few and far between. He has good size @ 6'4" and about 220lbs. A 3rd Round pick? Ehhhhh, depends on who else is out there. A 4th? I would more than likely take a chance on him given our QB situation. Yay or nay, what say you?

sure, unless we pick Manziel or Bortles first, also depends on if there is a better prospect at another position.

unless you are ready to write EJ off AND think that McCarron is a franchise QB, it would be insane to draft him.

Teams like the patriots can afford to drop mid round picks on back up QBs. Teams like the bills have about a million holes, and spending a 3rd rounder on a backup QB would be very unwise

Well...I think you have a point when you're talking about the Draft as we know it now because the Bills have one pick in each round currently...But a trade down like last year that nets a second round pick and I would be more than willing to spend one of those 2nd's or the 3rd on a QB like McCarron...

And I'm not giving up on EJ whatsoever...I'm also not giving up on trying to find a Franchise QB...And EJ is not yet a Franchise QB... B-)

Hey! How dare you say th.... Alright. That's fair.

;)

Depends on your perspective as far as recent history goes and whatnot...

EJ was my favorite QB from last years Draft...I was thrilled the Bills took him...I still like him...I hope he turns into a great NFL QB...

But I've always like McCarron...I just like his make-up...He reminds me of Brady in College and as a Michigan fan I can say I watched almost every down of Football Brady played at Michigan...I can't say exactly why he reminds me of Brady...But he does...I don't think McCarron is going to be caught off-guard by anything in the NFL...I think he's well aware that it's going to be a hell of a lot tougher...But I think he's got the kind of attitude to persevere and even excel in the right situation...

We'll see though...We'll never know for sure until we know... B-)

Fair points but IMO, the only thing in common with Brady & McCarron is they are talk & lanky. McCarron has played on the most talented college team of the last 5 years. Everything after Alabama will be a step down for him. IMO, he's hit his ceiling. Brady, on the hand, lost his job as a senior. He was an afterthought. That chip on his shoulder is what made him into what he is.

Also, look at Greg McElory's senior year stats. They are very similar to AJ's. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/greg-mcelroy-1.html

Again, just my opinion, but McCarron is the type of guy who benefits from playing at Alabama and not the other way away around. Just my opinion though. :)

Yes. But, I bet that AJ goes in the 1st. His skillset with how much he won in college, some GM that believes in the Parcells method is going to love him.

Bill Parcells drafted Chad Henne.

I would draft a QB every year until I was confident I had a guy that could be the long term answer.

To answer the original question, yes I would draft McCarron in the 3rd or 4th. I doubt he makes it that far, however.

Great strategy. Only give a guy a year & if he's not a pro bowler as rookie, spend another valuable 1st rounder to only give the next guy a year. I'm shocked more teams haven't followed this wonderful plan!

Fair points but IMO, the only thing in common with Brady & McCarron is they are talk & lanky. McCarron has played on the most talented college team of the last 5 years. Everything after Alabama will be a step down for him. IMO, he's hit his ceiling. Brady, on the hand, lost his job as a senior. He was an afterthought. That chip on his shoulder is what made him into what he is.

Also, look at Greg McElory's senior year stats. They are very similar to AJ's. http://www.sports-re...-mcelroy-1.html

Again, just my opinion, but McCarron is the type of guy who benefits from playing at Alabama and not the other way away around. Just my opinion though. :)

It's a totally fair opinion...No question you could be 100% right...It's just a gut feeling I have about McCarron...To be honest I think he would further benefit from being passed over the way Brady did...I think that, like Brady it would REALLY piss him off and give him even more incentive...But we'll see I guess...It can go either way, or somewhere in the middle...I'm not banging the table for the kid...But I definitely would not be disappointed if he landed in Buffalo...That's for sure... :D

Maybe you've missed the last month on this board. Let me catch you up. EJ sucks and there's no possible way he'll ever be good. It's science. We need to draft a QB every year until our rookie QB has the greatest statistical season ever capped off by a Super Bowl win.... hmm. Now that I think about it. If he wins the Super Bowl his rookie year it's probably all downhill after that so we might need to consider drafting a QB then as well. I'll have to get back to you on this.

:)

Also, look at Greg McElory's senior year stats. They are very similar to AJ's. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/greg-mcelroy-1.html

Bill Parcells drafted Chad Henne.

Great strategy. Only give a guy a year & if he's not a pro bowler as rookie, spend another valuable 1st rounder to only give the next guy a year. I'm shocked more teams haven't followed this wonderful plan!

Because I said he needed to be 1st rounder and he would only get 1 year? Reading comprehension.

There's no harm in taking a guy in rounds 3-5 to develop for a year while your 1st rounder is in his 2nd year.

If the 1st rounder plays like garbage in year 2 still then you have a guy you've been developing and can see if there is anything there. If the 1st rounder plays well then it doesn't matter.

And with the way teams go years without a viable option at QB and just recycle the same retreads I'm surprised teams don't draft them more often. GMs and coaches are just as likely to get fired for whiffing on the QBs drafted as they are for starting scrub journeymen and accomplishing nothing.

Because I said he needed to be 1st rounder and he would only get 1 year? Reading comprehension.

There's no harm in taking a guy in rounds 3-5 to develop for a year while your 1st rounder is in his 2nd year.

If the 1st rounder plays like garbage in year 2 still then you have a guy you've been developing and can see if there is anything there. If the 1st rounder plays well then it doesn't matter.

And with the way teams go years without a viable option at QB and just recycle the same retreads I'm surprised teams don't draft them more often. GMs and coaches are just as likely to get fired for whiffing on the QBs drafted as they are for starting scrub journeymen and accomplishing nothing.

I'm all for taking a guy like Aaron Murray if he slips. But probably 90% of the Qbs that slip to the 3rd or later aren't going to be anything more than a backup. The % of getting a position player there that might turn into a legit starter is much higher.

I like McCarron but I'm against drafting him (or any QB this year for that matter) anywhere before round 5 and I doubt that someone won't have picked him by the end of the 3rd round if not much earlier. I just think our early picks could be used better. Stud WR, upgrade guard or tackle or both, upgrade LB (get Kiko a wingman). I'd love to see Mettenberger slide to the 6th or 7th because of what some might view as questionable character issues and the injury which will sideline him for at least the entire offseason. I think he had the best arm talent of all the QB'S I've seen this year. It could be a low risk high reward scenario because it would give the Bills more time to evaluate EJ while possibly having a legit option for the future already on the team if EJ doesn't pan out.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I'm all for taking a guy like Aaron Murray if he slips. But probably 90% of the Qbs that slip to the 3rd or later aren't going to be anything more than a backup. The % of getting a position player there that might turn into a legit starter is much higher.

I agree with this philosophy generally, but I think the odds of a talented guy with potential slipping to the third is high this year b/c of the # of quality QBs. There isn't an Andrew Luck in this draft, but there are a lot of Tannehills.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Mettenberger. It could be perfect for us - guy who arguably has first round talent who's likely to slide b/c of his ACL. But since we're rolling w/ EJ he could sit for a year. Then if EJ works out you've got depth at the most important position on the field, if he doesn't work out you've got his potential replacement on the roster learning the system AND being evaluated by the coaching staff so if they don't have faith in him after getting to know him they can move on another guy in 2015.

And all this for the low price of a 3rd. That's a deal you just can't pass up if it presents itself.

I really don't get this. EJ, who has had good moments despite how some deny them, is no good after 9 games. Yet, 4th pick Kirk cousins with his career 4 tds, 5 ints Is a better qb? AJ McCarron who may have had the easiest situation of any qb on any level of football will be an upgrade?

Dear Lord, we turn on players fast.

I was not claiming that Kirk was better than EJ or anyone, I was simply saying that with a guy like McCarron, we would then have a Washington-like scenario, a young backup who could push the young franchise-elect QB. I don't know that AJ would be an immediate upgrade, but he would be a viable option to test drive if EJ does not progress by mid-to-late 2014.

I am not turning on EJ and/or writing him off just yet. I realize that he has been dinged up, and that it takes time to adapt to the NFL game for nearly every QB.

But I have to admit being quite disappointed with his lack of production in these road debacles like Tampa, Pitt and against the Jets in the Meadowlands. I worry that the defensive coordinator's "book" on EJ is already out there until proven otherwise. He does NOT make defenses pay when they bring the heat, so why should they ever stop doing it? His escapability is now awkward at best, and I am tired of all those high-arcing floaters that fall incomplete as he throws as if his right and left shoelaces are tied together.

Read this pre-draft article on EJ. It scares me.

http://www.rotoworld...here-to-improve

We have a playoffs-worthy defense, and some electric talent on O ... so if we could just get some decent Dalton-esque quarterbacking, we'd be in business. I want a viable plan B developing as soon as reasonably possible.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

Teams like the patriots can afford to drop mid round picks on back up QBs. Teams like the bills have about a million holes, and spending a 3rd rounder on a backup QB would be very unwise

The Pats may have more holes than the Bills. There's a lot of positions where they're really weak... WR, RT, C, DT, LB, TE now, they're playing bums at a lot of positions.

QB covers many of your flaws.

Yes. But, I bet that AJ goes in the 1st. His skillset with how much he won in college, some GM that believes in the Parcells method is going to love him.

I like the theme of this post. The Bills have a higher talent level than their record. Their problems imo are quarterback and head coach. These are huge problems.

If McCarron could be developed into a qb on a par with Phil Sims, he is totally worth selecting.

the #1 "need" of every team is a FRANCHISE QB !!!

EJ is NOT one of those.

Maybe so......but if McCarron is considered to have any realistic chance of becoming a Franchise QB he will go well before the 3rd round.

unless you are ready to write EJ off AND think that McCarron is a franchise QB, it would be insane to draft him.

Except for the QB position, we have no more holes than N.E..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.