Would You Spend a 3rd or 4th on AJ McCarron?

H2o

The guy is a 3 year starter in the toughest conference in America. He does everything to win games for his team, especially by NOT making the mistakes that cost them the game (only 13 interceptions in 3 years as a starater). He has won two BCS Championships in those 3 years as a starter. He is consistent, completing 67% of his passes. People will talk about the "lack" of elite arm strength, but it's not like he has the arm of Chad Pennington. He is calm in pressure packed situations as well and never seems to truly get rattled. He has had a bad game every now and again, but they were very few and far between. He has good size @ 6'4" and about 220lbs. A 3rd Round pick? Ehhhhh, depends on who else is out there. A 4th? I would more than likely take a chance on him given our QB situation. Yay or nay, what say you?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, We don't owe E.J. anything and the NFL is a tough business so I'm not worried about hurting his feelings if the Bills did decide to draft another QB. As far as I'm concerned the Bills should draft a QB every year until we have "our guy". I think you make a great point about A.J. I just don't see him making it to round 3 or 4 honestly. Some desperate team will take a chance on him early, especially if the other top rated QB's stay in school.

I would. I think AJ will have a long career in the NFL. Maybe not as starter although in the right environment he could excel. He'll be the perfect second stringers.

I really think it's going to be interesting to see where he is drafted. All it takes is one GM to think that he a franchise QB. He could anywhere from 1st to 5th.

No doubt I would...I'm a big McCarron fan...But I think by the time the process is all said and done he'll go higher than currently expected...That kid is a gamer...He's got some Brady in him... B-)

yep

and AJ's got that Ken barbie doll look like Brady...

Edited by dog14787

No doubt I would...I'm a big McCarron fan...But I think by the time the process is all said and done he'll go higher than currently expected...That kid is a gamer...He's got some Brady in him... B-)

He's got a fiery attitude as well, very competitive. You see that in him during games all the time. You all are more than likely right with his slotting in the draft. I was going off of the average of what I have seen everywhere. Anywhere from the 1st to the 5th.

For a 3rd or 4th, sure I guess. But I think the guy is a backup on the next level. Besides Eddie Lacey, who benefits from paying with Rodgers, Alabama Qbs & rbs have not translated well to the NFL. Bama basically has had a NFL oline during the Saban years. It's a lot different animal when you have to face pressure & are getting hit.

Even more, look at the list of national championship teams. http://collegefootball.about.com/od/nationalchampions/a/champions-list.htm now thing about how those Qbs have done in the NFL. The best of the last 10 years is Newton & his team want on anyone's championship radar to start the season (I don't even think they weren't ranked). When you are allowed to sit all day in the pocket, have a dominant defense, & blue chippers all around, you can look like a much better player.

McCarron had a great college career. But I really struggle to see his upside. If he is there in the 3rs & you've addressed other needs (wr, g, TE), sure why not? But I think he's a lot more like Reich than Kelly.

yep

and AJ's got that Ken barbie doll look like Brady...

Not to get all weird, but AJ isn't close to Brady's level. He's a goofy looking mofo IMO. He's just lucky he has the best job in the state of Alabama. And next to Tyler Bray, he may have the worst tattoo in the country.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

9 games are not enough to judge EJ. Injuries, inconsistant offensive line play and an uncreative offensive coordinator dont help.

If the Bills fill their needs of G, LB, and if Byrd leaves, S, then yes a 4th rounder. Marrone has been preaching competition since he got here. EJ would still be the starter year 2 but if he faulters year 3, at least they would have a QB who knows the system.

Edited by sabrelver

he reminds me of trent dilfer for some reason. he is a game manager. at the same time all the kid did was win. get a solid defense. run the friggin ball. get a qb who will manage not to pull fubars and this would be a competitive team. at the very least respectable.

The guy is a 3 year starter in the toughest conference in America. He does everything to win games for his team, especially by NOT making the mistakes that cost them the game (only 13 interceptions in 3 years as a starater). He has won two BCS Championships in those 3 years as a starter. He is consistent, completing 67% of his passes. People will talk about the "lack" of elite arm strength, but it's not like he has the arm of Chad Pennington. He is calm in pressure packed situations as well and never seems to truly get rattled. He has had a bad game every now and again, but they were very few and far between. He has good size @ 6'4" and about 220lbs. A 3rd Round pick? Ehhhhh, depends on who else is out there. A 4th? I would more than likely take a chance on him given our QB situation. Yay or nay, what say you?

I say no, but not because he's not worth that kind of pick. I just think we have too many needs elsewhere.

For a 3rd or 4th, sure I guess. But I think the guy is a backup on the next level. Besides Eddie Lacey, who benefits from paying with Rodgers, Alabama Qbs & rbs have not translated well to the NFL. Bama basically has had a NFL oline during the Saban years. It's a lot different animal when you have to face pressure & are getting hit.

Even more, look at the list of national championship teams. http://collegefootba...ns-list.htm now thing about how those Qbs have done in the NFL. The best of the last 10 years is Newton & his team want on anyone's championship radar to start the season (I don't even think they weren't ranked). When you are allowed to sit all day in the pocket, have a dominant defense, & blue chippers all around, you can look like a much better player.

McCarron had a great college career. But I really struggle to see his upside. If he is there in the 3rs & you've addressed other needs (wr, g, TE), sure why not? But I think he's a lot more like Reich than Kelly.

Not to get all weird, but AJ isn't close to Brady's level. He's a goofy looking mofo IMO. He's just lucky he has the best job in the state of Alabama. And next to Tyler Bray, he may have the worst tattoo in the country.

stop with your Brady man crush, just stop :wallbash:

I'd draft A.J. McCarron in round 3 without hesitation, probably even in round 2. EJ has already shown to be less-than-Thad Lewis (in my opinion), so why not get a guy with some big-time experience as a leader and winner to offer #3 some franchise-guy competition? It always brings about the best in everyone. Plus, if we don't do this in 2014 ... and EJ continues to struggle with beating pressure defenses and even the simple things (like stepping into his throws), the Bills will certainly need to bring in competition for 2015, so let's get it going now. At worst, we'd have a Kirk Cousins type insurance policy on hand.

The best comparison I have heard regarding A.J. is Andy Dalton. Similar in stature, they are guys with (supposedly) a lower "ceiling" than a Manuel, but they are great team leaders & they can make decisions in the pocket to get the ball out to the playmakers. Dalton had a similar 4-year starter pedigree to A.J., albeit from TCU, but he also took the Horned Frogs to the Rose Bowl and won the damn thing.

Dalton doesn't get a ton of fanfare, but he's already been to the playoffs a few times, and 2013 will be no different. Sounds pretty good right about now amidst this 14-year drought. Throwing-motion-wise, I think they release the ball in a very similar fashion.

And I'd even bet A.J. also has some christian rock on his Ipod, not that there's anything wrong with that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.