Question for everyone....

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very tough call, much of it depends on the details. If they moved to Toronto and changed the name to the Toronto Bills (or Toronto Mounties or whatever), then no.

If they moved to Niagara Falls (either side) and kept the name, obviously yes.

If they do move to Toronto (or anywhere), I do reserve the right to change allegiances to former teams I hated simply because they are good and I want to win it all someday.

Not a chance. Football would effectively end for me.

I'd probably still watch a few games here and there, but I wouldn't be rooting for anyone, much less the team that moved.

No. They would always be a curiosity - but not my team. What would I do? Probably watch a lot less football. I need skin in the game to follow it. The Bills & Sabres (and even the Bandits) are my teams and I follow THEM. If they were no longer, I would not follow the NFL or NHL. I don't really follow Baseball, though the Pirates have always been my favorite because of Willie Stargell and team of his era which was boosted when the Bisons became their farm club years ago. I no longer follow the Bisons - they are a curiosity, but I haven't been to a game in years.

It would be really tough to cheer for them. I think I would look at the NFL very differently. I would watch games still, but it wouldn't be the same.

+1.

I would be a casual fan of the NFL. Probably be the same way that I treat the NBA-- catch an occasional game of some good teams, follow some college players I like, and have no emotional investment.

EDIT: How much you want to bet they win the Super Bowl after they leave Buffalo? A nice parting shot to us Bills' fans.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

It depends...

I'm not sure I could pull for the Toronto Canadians or a team that did not have the running Buffalo logo...That logo means a lot to me to be perfectly honest...Replace it with a Maple Leaf, or whatever, and I'm out...

I'm becoming a Panthers fan anyway...So I would probably follow them...They are my 2nd team now...I lived in Charlotte for 20 years, they have an exciting young QB, a Defense that is just nasty at Home, and at least they seem to have an understanding about how to re-build... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

no, I would choose a new team and root for them and wish evil things upon the Bills/whatever their new team is

this is the only acceptable way to "switch teams" under the rules of the fan code, you stick with your team until that team no longer exists...moving the team frees us from the bonds of slavery that we are currently entrapped by....

If the Bills were to move, (I would be crushed if they did) would you still be a fan even though they wouldnt be the Bills anymore?

CBF

Dunno. My original reaction is "yes" i would root for them as if they were the bills. But, I really don't know how I would react long-term. If they moved to Boise and became the Boise Spuds with a giant potato on their helmet, it would definitely detract from my passion.

But like many have stated: what would the alternative be? Follow the Giants? Rooting interests are developed as a child. I can't become passionate about another team as an adult. I can enjoy seeing certain teams play (Hawks, Saints, Ravens, etc) but the passion is not there.

As a kid I rooted for the Bills, Sabres and Braves with equal zeal.

I loved the Braves and their often epic tilts with the Knicks (before Marv was known to wear garter belts) in the era of NBA on CBS (Dad moved us to NY in the 70s).

No one took the Braves move to San Diego worse than me and consequently I lost all rooting interest in the NBA, though I did enjoy watching the great teams of the era in the playoffs from time to time.

These discussions appear every year. I remember some doosh here saying he would welcome a Bills move to LA so he could watch them live (he said he was a big Bills fan). This made no sense to me. A team stripped of its history that is remade in another city is not the same team.

There would be no context to remain fan affiliated.

Edited by Wayne Fontes