Remain Calm, all is not as lost as it appears

I am an EJ "hater" but I thought he looked like a passable game manager the past two weeks. He's shown enough to merit another year of development imo.

I'm not opposed to this as we draft to fill other positions. But in the end, I've seen this before from QB's, good enough to merit another look, but never good enough even with experience to lead a championship team. As I said, I don't like his over all abilities currently. It wasn't the fumbles that cost this game to me, it was EJ's inability to move the chains via mid to long balls on several drives. The fumbles are an after thought if we are running the ball because we have a strong lead already IMHO.

I'll do you one better. I'm effin furious at the result of the game yet optimistic about the long term of this team.

EJ and the deep ball will be fine. He's ok. So soon we forget the nice throws in the Jets game. Today EJ overthrew a couple but they were good decisions and decent throws. Not sure if even a perfect ball would have resulted in a completion.

In summary...that was atrocious and I'm disgusted. Hopefully next year is better.

This I can get behind. The team over all, the record put aside, hasn't looked this promising in years. Here's to the future.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not opposed to this as we draft to fill other positions. But in the end, I've seen this before from QB's, good enough to merit another look, but never good enough even with experience to lead a championship team. As I said, I don't like his over all abilities currently. It wasn't the fumbles that cost this game to me, it was EJ's inability to move the chains via mid to long balls on several drives. The fumbles are an after thought if we are running the ball because we have a strong lead already IMHO.

This I can get behind. The team over all, the record put aside, hasn't looked this promising in years. Here's to the future.

There's always a subset of fans that think if we do this or do that then we are never in a position like we were today at the end of the game. Guess what: THIS IS THE NFL. Mediocre is the standard in the league!! Most games come down to a possession. Good teams win those games! The Pats went down to the wire with the Texans...and Won! Because they make plays at the end and we don't.

Stating that we should have connected on a few bombs early in the game completely takes the glaring screw ups at the end of the game when we were in winning position and diminishes them.

But you are right. If Buffalo played a perfect game and EJ went 30-30 with 400 yards and 3 TDs we probably aren't in that position at the end.

Ugh...

This team definitely has talent and the potential to be a playoff team in the future.

Defensive line, Alonso, Gilmore, Glenn, Spiller, Byrd... these are top, young talents in the league.

But, I agree on Manuel, he lacks the passing ability to be among the best. And if you don't have a QB, it's an extremely uphill battle.

See jets game. He can make all the throws. If his WRs don't fumble it away it's a w today. Had us in Cleveland. Other than first jets game and steelers game he's looked great for a rookie.

No one, NO ONE, has seen enough to know if he can succeed long term.

I know this recent loss by the Bills appears common place in the past decade or more. Fumbles, penalties, shooting themselves in the foot and so on can seem to become common place. But remain calm in reaction and bare in mind, the team is building toward a brighter future as of late.

Take the time to study what our needs our. The teams weaknesses and strengths. Draw a line from A to B and look to the draft to see where the team can benefit the most in new personnel coming in. Don't look at this loss as the end all be all for the Buffalo Bills. Many of you are younger and have endured the past 13 years. Well, many of us that are older have seen this before, the late 70's to 90 period.

Be advised, better times are coming. Draw strength as Bills fans from this experience, don't give in to anger. Instead, focus on what can be achieved in the off season since the playoffs are lost.

With that said, I'd like to offer my most humble opinion on one topic. Put aside the fumbles for a moment. This team has a real issue with the deep ball. The QB is young yes, but after a handful of games with EJ at the helm, I can tell you with most certainty, this cat has no real skill with the long ball and unless he finds that skill, it's all over before it begins. Just my 2 cents on analysing what I see.

On the positive, the defense is monster, not quite perfected, but dam near good enough to get it done.

Well...The Defense is definitely not a monster...I made the mistake of assuming they may have turned the corner this season...But after watching them today vs a real NFL QB I realize I was wrong...It was wrong to hope...They have a mile and a half to go on Defense...They are habitual underachievers as a group...And once again a Defense that is supposed to have one of the best D-Lines in the league got absolutely gashed at times by the 31st...That's right...The 31st ranked run offense in the league...This Defense is no monster...It's not the least bit scary...They can rush the Passer...And that's about all they do with any consistency...

And while you make logical points, I don't think history is on your side with these predictions...The Bills have had talent over the past 14 years...Some years more than others...But there is one thing they had in common every one of these 14 years...They find ways to lose winnable games...It may be different ways from week to week or year to year...But they find a way...And finding a way to lose is what this Franchise does better, and with more year in and year out consistency, than any other team in the NFL...

14 years of consecutive history says you're probably going to be wrong on this...But what the heck...I still hope you're right... B-)

This bright future can be made brighter if we lose our remaining games.

Yep, let's tank it from here on out.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, and even if you are, there will be many others here that say that, but I think it's a bad idea. If Marrone can keep this team fighting to the end, with most of the games really close (win or lose), our team benefits from developing a never quit mentality. We can carry that into next year, and with time this team will gel and start winning a lot more of those close games. Hell I'm getting tired of saying wait for next year, but I really do feel more optimistic about next year than any in a long time. I did not expect .500 or playoffs this year with a rookie (NFL) coach and a rookie QB. We've been way more competitive than I expected and I hope we keep it up.

I know this recent loss by the Bills appears common place in the past decade or more. Fumbles, penalties, shooting themselves in the foot and so on can seem to become common place. But remain calm in reaction and bare in mind, the team is building toward a brighter future as of late.

Take the time to study what our needs our. The teams weaknesses and strengths. Draw a line from A to B and look to the draft to see where the team can benefit the most in new personnel coming in. Don't look at this loss as the end all be all for the Buffalo Bills. Many of you are younger and have endured the past 13 years. Well, many of us that are older have seen this before, the late 70's to 90 period.

Be advised, better times are coming. Draw strength as Bills fans from this experience, don't give in to anger. Instead, focus on what can be achieved in the off season since the playoffs are lost.

With that said, I'd like to offer my most humble opinion on one topic. Put aside the fumbles for a moment. This team has a real issue with the deep ball. The QB is young yes, but after a handful of games with EJ at the helm, I can tell you with most certainty, this cat has no real skill with the long ball and unless he finds that skill, it's all over before it begins. Just my 2 cents on analysing what I see.

On the positive, the defense is monster, not quite perfected, but dam near good enough to get it done.

You sound like an evangelist. Even snake oil may not work for the Bills.

9 years in a row with a losing record (they're not going 8-8 this year)

14 years (and counting) of missing the playoffs

17 playoff appearances in 54 years

That folks, is exactly why the Bills are the worst franchise in the NFL!!

Now kool-aid drinkers, tell me how Marrone & company are going to turn this around (just like Donahoe/Greggggg/Mularkey, Levy/Jauron, Brandon/Jauron, Nix/Gailey were going to turn this team around). The names are different, the results are the same.

I love TBD when we get:

Anyone who complains about dump off passes while viewing at home without the benefit of the all 22 film to see the coverages is just plain being silly.

followed by:

I understand there will be those such as yourself to counter my skepticism. Let's step back into this subject in 2 seasons, shall we? If my hunch is right, based on his current success rates, we'll be discussing the next Bills 1st rd pick or trade for a top end QB talent.

One guy says "lets look and actually see what happened" and the next says "yeah, yeah, but I HAVE A HUNCH EJ is not good!" By all means, let's go with the hunch!

Not sure why people think that EJ lost us today's game - he put us in a spot to win. Twice!

Blame SJ, blame Chandler, hell blame the refs, but not sure how one walks away from today's game thinking that EJ is what's holding us back...

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, and even if you are, there will be many others here that say that, but I think it's a bad idea. If Marrone can keep this team fighting to the end, with most of the games really close (win or lose), our team benefits from developing a never quit mentality. We can carry that into next year, and with time this team will gel and start winning a lot more of those close games. Hell I'm getting tired of saying wait for next year, but I really do feel more optimistic about next year than any in a long time. I did not expect .500 or playoffs this year with a rookie (NFL) coach and a rookie QB. We've been way more competitive than I expected and I hope we keep it up.

I'm pretty sure they already have a "never quit mentality..."I don't think that's the issue with this team at all...In fact I don't think that has been the issue for the majority of the past 14 seasons combined...Unfortunately, to go along with that "never quit," they also have a "usually lose" mentality...And breaking that is going to take a lot more than just hard work...It's going to take actually stepping up and winning the games that are winnable the majority of the time...It's going to take the mentality that we need to play like we're down by 14 when we're up by 14...It's going to take a killer instinct that has been extinct within this organization for a long, long, time now...Not just playing hard and never quitting...Like Marrone put up on the wall...Don't confuse effort with results...That goes for now, or in the future...This team is a bunch of losers until they prove they can win...That's really all there is to it... B-)

There is no excuse for the loss today. It starts with Marrone and his coaches for not shutting the door on the Falcons. It ends with the players not making plays. This year is a loss but I feel like there is some hope for the future. There are some good players picked up from this years draft. Still too many holes though.

So the guy that thinks our future franchise QB can't throw the long ball wants everyone to remain calm and be patient. What exactly is this brighter future they're building towards?

I found that funny too! :doh::lol:

I really think that this is the worst Bills team in...I don't know - 4 or 5 seasons.

And I have no faith in the future for the Bills. Next season another 6-10 or 7-9 - whatever!

Wow...if you have been watching all the games for the last 4 or 5 seasons, I am not sure how you could feel that way... the defense is a lot better than any we have had in a long time (with room for improvement no doubt), they have had, probably, their best draft in 20 years (unless you are one who has already come to the conclusion that Manuel is a bust...I am not), and they appear to be getting a lot more out of some of these guys that have been around for a while, in some time. Toady's loss sucked...but it wasn't the young guys making the big mistakes...

Great post.

About 2 hours after the game ended I was over the loss, remaining optimistic about the big picture.

It's obvious in the post game that we have a head coach that deeply cares, and doesn't shove monitone answers down our throats as if it's just another loss.

Alot of people bag on Chandler, but I think he is an above average tight end that has been dependable for most of the season. I've seen him keep many drives alive, and I think he's a great outlet for Manuel.

Stevie has his moments, and he can be a big time player. However, consistancy...or lack of...kills his game. I know he cares, but I don't think he is a receiver that can "lead" a team.

I've seen the Bills play the run in the past alot better than they did today. The pressure they are putting on the QB is great, and is a welcome site to see.

Overall, I am excited about Manuel playing more and seeing him progress. Unlike the OP, I think Manuel has a great arm and with experience and timing with is receivers will be a great deep ball QB. I love his mobillity, and scrambled a few times out of the pocket where if he made the decision alot sooner would have turned into long scrambling gains. I really like what we have in Woods and Goodwin. I think the Bills defense is a couple pieces away from being tops in the league. I love our pass rush. Lawson and Alonzo are awesome. I think a healthy and more experienced Spiller is going to be the difference maker he was in the past. We've had some injuries take away some key pieces that have put us where we are. From third string QB's to decimated secondaries. Yet we are a 4-8 team that could easily be 8-4 with some close losses to NE, Cincy, Atlanta, and KC (a game we should have won and I believe we would have won had Manuel or Lewis started).

I feel that's how close we are. Even pulling out two of those games would put is right in the thick of the playoff picture.

The Bills need to learn how to win those close games. Reminds me alot of the 86-87 teams that had sub 500 records and lost alot of close games....mostly because they didnt know how to win.

In 88, they figured it out.

Staying with my original comments at the beginning of the season, this is a year where progress and growth was critical...and I think weve seen that. This year wasn't about the playoff drought, but making strides in order to get closer to ending it. They are playing the great teams tough, and have been totally out of it only once (loss to Pittsburgh due to a rusty Manuel).

A new coaching staff, new QB, a great draft that has 4 key contributors to our team this year, and a new enthusiasm that will eventually lead to success on the field.

Hopefully they can build on that in the final 4 games and head into next season with a full head of steam.

Yes, I see the glass half full. As we all should.

Edited by dezertbill

Anyone who complains about dump off passes while viewing at home without the benefit of the all 22 film to see the coverages is just plain being silly.

Agreed, further would people really rather have him throwing picks left and right like Geno Smith has been doing?

Manuel played well enough for them to have some that game. Turnovers and the inability of the defense to stop a Falcon offense without Julio Jones are what lost that game.

I'm not opposed to this as we draft to fill other positions. But in the end, I've seen this before from QB's, good enough to merit another look, but never good enough even with experience to lead a championship team. As I said, I don't like his over all abilities currently. It wasn't the fumbles that cost this game to me, it was EJ's inability to move the chains via mid to long balls on several drives.

How can you think that it was EJ's inability to move the chains which cost the Bills the game? The offense put up 31 points. EJ didn't turn the ball over. That's all you can ask from a rookie QB making his 8th start. I'm not sure what people expect.

This loss is squarely on the shoulders of the D who have talent all over the field yet can't stop an offense who went into the game ranked 31st in the league in rushing coming in. This loss is squarely on the shoulders of Chandler and SJ for their blundes.

I swear people just want to blame the QB no matter what. Yeah, I guess it was EJ's fault, I guess he should have throw inaccurate passes to SJ and Chandler so they wouldn't have had the opportunity to fumble.

Well...The Defense is definitely not a monster...I made the mistake of assuming they may have turned the corner this season...But after watching them today vs a real NFL QB I realize I was wrong...It was wrong to hope...They have a mile and a half to go on Defense...They are habitual underachievers as a group...And once again a Defense that is supposed to have one of the best D-Lines in the league got absolutely gashed at times by the 31st...That's right...The 31st ranked run offense in the league...This Defense is no monster...It's not the least bit scary...They can rush the Passer...And that's about all they do with any consistency...

This X 1000!

Nothing wrong with EJ's passing ability......

He is just a little rookie issue with not wanting to make mistakes so he is over cautious with the ball....which he quickly puts aside when the game is on the line and shows his ability to make clutch throws

This is a good point. When EJ has to, he delivers. Now he just needs to bring that all 4 quarters. he will