Mike Tomlin Incident

NoSaint

The point the author was making is that referees interpret this rule as continuation anytime a ball carrier loses a helmet. there isn't a review to see where to spot the ball in other such cases, so obviously refs have leeway here. But because this was a scoring play, it is reviewed. The author points out that it is bogus that in this instant, they called the play unlike they have in other situations. No question they did.

There is no rule against a ball carrier lowering his head. Has to be doing it in the act of delivering a blow, so it wouldn't a call that could have "easily" been made, NoSaint. And a runner needn't be defenseless for a flag to be thrown for h to h

Certainly feels like my comments got a bit twisted there.... As I said it wasn't a foul but the closest thing to one that occurred. In the debate between where to call a penalty on a fully legal play, sure that's where I said it would be easiest to point, not that it was easily a penalty.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point the author was making is that referees interpret this rule as continuation anytime a ball carrier loses a helmet. there isn't a review to see where to spot the ball in other such cases, so obviously refs have leeway here. But because this was a scoring play, it is reviewed. The author points out that it is bogus that in this instant, they called the play unlike they have in other situations. No question they did.

There is no rule against a ball carrier lowering his head. Has to be doing it in the act of delivering a blow, so it wouldn't a call that could have "easily" been made, NoSaint. And a runner needn't be defenseless for a flag to be thrown for h to h

There is also no rule against a defender trying to tackle a runner low. If a runner goes low and the defender goes low to tackle him (tackling 101), then there is no foul. There was only one way to try to stop a runner leading with his helmet and incidental helmet to helmet contact was bound to happen.

Certainly feels like my comments got a bit twisted there.... As I said it wasn't a foul but the closest thing to one that occurred. In the debate between where to call a penalty on a fully legal play, sure that's where I said it would be easiest to point, not that it was easily a penalty.

Didn't mean to twist. Saw "easily" and thought it was incorrect. I thought h to h was easier. I guess they feel Smith didn't hit Bells crown.

This problem could have had a simple resolution: the runner should've plowed right into him, even if he had to drift a foot out of bounds to get him. A couple days in the hospital would've taught him a lesson.

Exactly! Tomlin obviously had his foot over the line and on in the field of play... That is where he was wrong... Fine him for that. BUT he has a right to stand on the sideline.

Why doesn't the NFL create a "buffer zone" where nobody can be standing against the line of the field? It is already from the 35 to 35, right? Make the whitezone a no stand area.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Players and personnel aren't allowed on the white, much less the field........

This is the part that I find hypocritical in the NFL.

Players on the field who are getting fouled, assaulted, abused and generally in a situation where emotions are extremely difficult to control are expected to maintain control and total focus in all that they do......and when they don't, they get penalized.

Conversely, coaches on the sideline who are merely watching the events are given warnings if they let their emotions take over and step into the white zone.

Edited by Dibs

Regardless of whether or not it was planned, he DEFINITELY should have been penalized. I saw an NFL coach penalized last weekend (cant remember which team - I think it was NYJ vs. Balt) for not keeping the sideline clear when the referees were trying to follow a play along the sideline. He should have been on the other side of the 6-ft wide white stripe.

Regardless of whether or not it was planned, he DEFINITELY should have been penalized. I saw an NFL coach penalized last weekend (cant remember which team - I think it was NYJ vs. Balt) for not keeping the sideline clear when the referees were trying to follow a play along the sideline. He should have been on the other side of the 6-ft wide white stripe.

Gee! Rex and the Jets penalized for "guarding the line?" Wow, what shocker, never would guessed it! If it was Rex, did he have his players lock feet? :-O

no penalty called. the ref definitely shouldve thrown the flag.

i think it should be a HUGE fine. really, it should probably get him suspended, but that wont happen.

Technically they couldn't have thrown the flag because Tomlin never stepped inside the field (or on the line).