Hackett to EJ, let it fly

TPS

Very good. Makes me think of something else that should be noted, it probably deserves its own thread but I won't start it, if the mods believe it should be, they can change it. And that point is this:

The fact that this was EJs first game against a team that he's already played. The first game was rough for him, this game he was very, very good. It shouldn't be lost that in his second game against the same team, he progressed greatly. Making plays deep, knowing what his WRs were capable of, and maybe, just maybe he saw those looks before and learned from his past mistakes. Take it for what it is, but good quarterbacks make mistakes and learn from them, and it looked like to me that EJ did just that this past Sunday.

Money quote (emphasis mine):

“We sat down and watched a lot of the quarterbacks across the league, the great ones, like Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers. Why are those guys so good? When you put on their tape they’re truly throwing the ball before the guy is open. They’re trusting their team. They’re just dropping back, they see it and they know and throw an accurate pass and let their guys make a play."

This couldn't be more true. If your QB is only willing to throw to guys after they've beaten the D, you're in bad shape. First off, those opportunities don't come around often. Second, your QB will either take a lot of sacks while waiting for guys to get open (Hi Rob!) or check down all the time because no one's open yet (Hi Trent!). Third, if your QB waits till the WR is open to throw, there's a good chance the WR will no longer be open by the time the ball gets there.

I think it's important for us fans to remember this, and not get too down on EJ when some of those "I trust my guy to make a play" balls get picked off. Graham did a nice job playing the ball in the air last week, but we can't expect that to happen every time. And if the WR misplays the ball, or just gets beat by the DB, that's not EJ's fault. The fair criticism is when he gives his guy no chance to make a play, like in the first Jets or Steelers games.

Had EJ not gotten injured, the Bills would make the playoffs this year. You.

I really believe that as well...we win the Cleveland game and KC game and the Cincy game was there for the taking too...we would be sitting here at 6-5 or 7-4 instead of 4-7...

Edited by matter2003

Very interesting little read! I think we can take away several tidbits:

1. When EJ was checking down in every game... that was him, not the play design. Some of us wondered why the game plan seemed to change so much, as though Hackett was protecting EJ. Turns out, the game plan was probably the same. EJ just didn't "trust what he was seeing" so he checked down.

2. As BuffaloBill said, the coaches seem to be coaching him up good. It's nice to hear that they look at other great QBs and try to emulate them.

3. A Cash said, the mark of a good QB is trusting your receivers and throwing to where they should be, not where they are. But, if you do that, you're going to have interceptions. It happens. Not only does EJ have to shake it off, but so do fans. Just as good QBs need good WRs that can adjust and get the ball, good WRs need a good QB that will trust them throw the ball.

4. EJ is learning to be an NFL QB. Its going to take some time. He's gonna have to watch a lot more film, have a lot more coaching, gain more experience, and make more mistakes. Let's hope he continue doing all that and we see the progression from rookie, to good QB, to great one; but remember it's going to take time and there's gonna bad games along the way.

One of the main reasons why EJ played so well last week vs. Pitt and earlier games is that the offensive play calling was much improved against the Jets. Use of the reverse, QB sneak, thorwing over the middle to Chandler, etc. helped keep the Jets D guessing and opened things up for the shots taken downfield. I am encouraged because it shows that Marrone/Hackett are learning with play calling and how to use their weapons, and EJ is able to execute the plays. Lots of weapons to be used, especially at WR. Hopefully this trend continues for the last five games when almost everyone will be healthy.

What's amazing is that EJ played QB at the highest level of football for Florida State and he still comes to the NFL and has to be coached about this. Just goes to show at major college football, you have stud receivers and throwing to a fairly wide open guy is the norm. Guy's like EJ get spoiled and then in the NFL the space to throw into gets so tight. The best QB's in the NFL always know where the receiver is gonna make his break and delivers the ball so it arrives right on time. Hopefully EJ can take this part of his game and get really good at it. Then we have our franchise guy.

What's amazing is that EJ played QB at the highest level of football for Florida State and he still comes to the NFL and has to be coached about this. Just goes to show at major college football, you have stud receivers and throwing to a fairly wide open guy is the norm. Guy's like EJ get spoiled and then in the NFL the space to throw into gets so tight. The best QB's in the NFL always know where the receiver is gonna make his break and delivers the ball so it arrives right on time. Hopefully EJ can take this part of his game and get really good at it. Then we have our franchise guy.

That's a great point and one that I bet is lost on a lot of people.

EJ isn't going to get it over night, but the amount of improvement he's shown, even with the amount of time missed, is very encouraging.

All I know is if EJ is gonna start "throwing receivers open" then dont complain about picks.......because it could be a inaccurate throw OR it could be a WR/QB miscommunication......

You go from a QB who is careful with the ball to a gunslinger....and gunslinger's take chances.

throwing the guy open does not have to mean a gunslinger QB - it means, knowing and trusting where your guy is going to be and throwing to where he WILL be even if he is currently covered....