Will Pettine be a Buffalo Bill next season?

Pettine  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Will Pettine be a Buffalo Bill next season?

• Yes
    • No

Agree with the apparent consensus--he's got more work to do but he'll be interviewing at the end of year two. I think he will be gone in three years. We'll be lucky to keep him for four years. He's been a big part of helping to turn this culture around and that's something teams looking to make a change will be attracted to. But let's slow down and enjoy the guy, he's ours for a good number of games!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I feel dumb for starting this poll.

I think people are voting for what they are hoping. I hope he's here next year, but I think someone will snatch him up after the season....if being a head coach is what he desires.

I think people are voting for what they are hoping. I hope he's here next year, but I think someone will snatch him up after the season....if being a head coach is what he desires.

Exactly, as its kinda scary to think of another DC like Wannstooge or George Edwards in Buffalo running that defense next year.

My take is Pettine will get a lot of looks by other teams needing a strong DC / assistant HC. He can make a lateral move if given the assistant to the HC title by another team. This is something the Bills should consider if they intend to hold on to him.

The Dallas Cowboys owner must be thinking of making a change again....

I know Bills fans are excited about the Ds improvement but you'll notice that Pettine isn't getting any national attention. It'll take more than improvement to move his name into legit HC conversations. If the Bills D has a huge improvement from this year to next I can see his name coming up but I don't even see him as being a year away.

It also takes more than just coaching up a unit to get a HC gig. Owners and GMs have to think a guy can make that jump - I have no clue how they feel about Pettine. What I do know is that it generally takes more than a year or two of running a D on your own to start getting noticed unless your D is dominant. The Bills D isn't dominant.

I've asked this a couple times before but seems nobody has ever said one way or the other...

Did Pettine bring anyone with him from the Jets - position coach maybe - who is sort of apprenticing under him? Or someone who may be able to be promoted to DC once Pettine leaves for a HC gig?

If Pettine starts looking elsewhere, I hope the Bills consider offering him a promotion to asst Head Coach or something with a pay raise. This guy makes Wanny look like a complete incompetent, IMO. It was evident even from back in preseason that we finally had a guy with a brain running the D.

I've asked this a couple times before but seems nobody has ever said one way or the other...

Did Pettine bring anyone with him from the Jets - position coach maybe - who is sort of apprenticing under him? Or someone who may be able to be promoted to DC once Pettine leaves for a HC gig?

If Pettine starts looking elsewhere, I hope the Bills consider offering him a promotion to asst Head Coach or something with a pay raise. This guy makes Wanny look like a complete incompetent, IMO. It was evident even from back in preseason that we finally had a guy with a brain running the D.

He brought Anthony Weaver and Jim O'Neill, DL and LB coaches respectively. I have no clue if they're ready to make the jump to DC though.

I know Bills fans are excited about the Ds improvement but you'll notice that Pettine isn't getting any national attention. It'll take more than improvement to move his name into legit HC conversations. If the Bills D has a huge improvement from this year to next I can see his name coming up but I don't even see him as being a year away.

It also takes more than just coaching up a unit to get a HC gig. Owners and GMs have to think a guy can make that jump - I have no clue how they feel about Pettine. What I do know is that it generally takes more than a year or two of running a D on your own to start getting noticed unless your D is dominant. The Bills D isn't dominant.

This is how I feel.

Yea, we as Bills fans think he is doing a great job compared to last year. But if you watch or pay attention to the league, Pettine is never mentioned as the "hot" coordinator. He still has work to do here. The run game, althought better, still gives up yards in fairly large chunks.

Add to that, no one here knows what his intentions are. IMO I'd say he'll be here for at least 2 years, possibly 3. It took his mentor Rex Ryan 3 years as DC at Baltimore to become a HC and that was after he received assisstant coach of the year award and the Ravens had the #2 defense. Ryan was technically with the Ravens for 10 seasons and was promoted to DC.

Okay I love what Mike Pettine has done with this defense - we are playing much more aggressive, mixing things up and in recent weeks even the run D has started to improve. However..... aren't we still 26th in total defense? If I'm a GM and I'm looking for a Head Coach and I'm thinking about promoting a DC I'm gonna be looking to the best defenses in the league. I think he will be here next year and as has been said above it would take a big step up from the whole D next year to shoot him into HC conversations.

Whilst he has been a DC for 4 years before this year he never got the credit for the D at the Jets because everyone just talked about Rex Ryan. He has to prove he can run a top 10 defense on his own I think.

Edited by GunnerBill

Look, I *like* Mike Pettine. But I don't think anyone can argue that he hasn't finished the job here in Buffalo. People who are going to looking for a new head coach are going to hear the same things that we debated:

Was his success just riding Rex Ryan's coattails?-I don't know at this point. He certainly seems competent with us, and a lot of our early bad defense can be attributed to losing almost all of our starting secondary to injury. But after striking gold with Kiko Alonso and finding a diamond in the rough in Robey, somehow revitalizing McKelvin, having three Pro Bowl D-linemen, a Pro Bowl safety in Byrd, we STILL have only an average defense.

How about the question of "If we hire him, do our personnel fit his scheme? How many offseasons will it take to match his vision?"

"Is the improvement in the Bills defense just because Wanny was so bad?"

I don't think that he's answered the looming questions sufficiently quite yet. Meanwhile, Chip Kelly's Eagles are suddenly the division leaders going into their bye and are contending for the playoffs. The college coach experiment suddenly seems to be working, so I think there is enough muddying the waters to have Pettine be the first phone call.

I think this will be the story of the upcoming off season for Bills fans. The guy has taken a putrid defense and turned it into a top-10 squad (if you believe Football Outsiders, anyway) with pretty much the same personnel on the field.

But is Buffalo merely a stepping stone into a head coaching job? Like most years in the modern NFL, multiple teams will be searching for a new coach. Vikings, Bucs, Titans, Texans, Cowboys in all likelihood. Turning the Bills around has been a great opportunity for Pettine to prove that he wasn't just a stooge for Rex Ryan.

On the other hand, it's hard to miss how much the defense has gelled under his tutelage. And it's a reality that not EVERY coordinator desires a HC job. In fact, that promotion has proven time and time again to be a career setback if the first opportunity isn't a good one.

Personally I think he stays.

Like others, I think we'll get 2 years and then he'll get his shot and if he continues the trajectory this defense is on, we should all thank him and wish him well --- I think it's amazing the difference he has created, with largely the same personnel -- sure, we added the Legend, Branch and Hughes --- but the turnaround in the play of McKelvin and Aaron Williams is stark --- the D-line is playing to their potential and most of all, he has created a mindset --- I think this Defense is Top 1/2 right now --- but moving up -- I see no reason, assuming the secondary continues to mature, becomes a Top 10 or even Top 5 defense next year --- if that happens, watch for Pettine to get interest from teams that are looking for a defense first coach

That might be somewhat true of the national media. I can assure you that other teams are watching what the Bills are doing on defense, and particularly because stats don't tell the entire story. Only two teams have scored more then 30 points on the bills.

While I don't think he will get any looks for a HCing job, I do think he will get many looks as a replacement DC for several teams.

1. He hasn't done enough with this team.

2. You can argue the Jets are playing better without him.

3. The hot D-coordinator is the Bengals' Mike Zimmer

Zimmers long been rumored and never gotten a shot for a reason. Word is he's simply not viewed as an organizational leader - good at what he does but not the type you hand the keys to. I think pettine, given his pedigree, both knows how to run a team and wants to at the highest level.

That might be somewhat true of the national media. I can assure you that other teams are watching what the Bills are doing on defense, and particularly because stats don't tell the entire story. Only two teams have scored more then 30 points on the bills.

While I don't think he will get any looks for a HCing job, I do think he will get many looks as a replacement DC for several teams.

We would not allow those interviews to even happen