Bills contact NFL about scheduling disadvantage

Simon

The Bills faced the patriots after their bye in 2004,2005,2006,2007, and 2012. It is crazy how statistically unlikely that is. Basically, it is on purpose.

to what purpose? if its an advantage, why would the nfl manipulate the schedules for the pats to waste it on us. unless the nfl is trying to hinder the pats from winning more games (shudder to think the reaction that line gets)

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A disproportionate number of well-rested teams

It's a fair point but as long as they choose to be the only team in the NFL that only plays 7 home games every year, their complaint is all but moot, imo.

My first reaction to your post was that of disagreement but after much consideration, I have come to the conclusion that, assuming I haven't misinterpreted what you mean, I agree with your post.

To a Bills fan's mind I think it totally fair to view it as a moot point. A rolleyes situation heavy with irony resulting in an understandable reaction of basically "Don't be hypocritical and ask for others to not hinder your chances while you are happy to hinder them yourselves."

To an impartial NFL however, looking at the bye and Thursday game situation, it is a fair point(as you stated).

It took me a full day to reconcile the seemingly opposed statements of calling it both a fair point and a moot point.

to what purpose? if its an advantage, why would the nfl manipulate the schedules for the pats to waste it on us. unless the nfl is trying to hinder the pats from winning more games (shudder to think the reaction that line gets)

We're a division rival. Any advantage against a division rival is significant.

The poor Atlanta Falcons have to play Buffalo after the Bills bye week. I feel sorry for them for the beat down they will take. ha ha

Honestly, i have not been impressed with too many teams coming off their bye weeks. Those clubs seem rusty. I think the Bills will have more energy vs. the Jets early. Gotta take advantage.

On the Pats* off their bye 4 straight years, the odds are about 4000 to 1 that happens randomly. What some folks also forget is that over that span we were often considered the number 2 team in the division. There have been several prior threads on that. New England* has over the years also gotten other high value games post- bye, including Miami the year after the Fins won the division and the Ravens the year after the Ravens knocked the Cheats * out of the playoffs. Notice, too, how New England* has played one team coming off a bye or Thurs game in the last two seasons, I believe, while Buffalo has played something like ten or more ( we were a big loser on the 2012 schedule, too, IIRC).

As I've said repeatedly, some NFL teams are more equal than others in the League's eyes. That's becoming increasingly clear to at least some of us. I personally applaud any move by the Bills to not let the NFL get away with that. After all, who wants to root for the Washington Generals every year when the League seems to pick (and help) its Globetrotters..,,,

I did a non-exhaustive google on the interweb tubes and did not find a definitive answer about exactly when the NFL schedule-makers start the process of making the next year's schedule. I did find the the following 4/19/12 NY Times article about the schedule making process, which I found interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/20/sports/nfl-schedule-makers-try-their-best-to-please-everybody.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

“This is the annual ritual of finding out how stupid I am,” said Howard Katz, the N.F.L.’s scheduling czar. “We work for months and months in this room and ‘What were they thinking?’ It comes with the territory.”

The process gets serious in January, when teams submit lists of requests detailing stadium availability and preferences for scheduling order.

The Jets asked to host the Thanksgiving night game this year. Jonathan Payne, another member of the scheduling group, opened a folder with more requests.

“No games against teams coming off their bye,” he read.

This was brought up in the summer.

It is a disadvantage if the teams you are playing are coming off extra time to prepare to play you.

Teams would have been screaming if one team had to play Thursday on short rest from Sunday while their opponent was coming of a bye.

As the stats showed...Buffalo played 6 teams who had extra time while they only had an advantage 1 time and that was when they played thursday night. The week after their bye Atlanta plays thursday of their bye week so the advantage they could have had was wiped out.

So each team would have an advantage when they played thursday and the week after their bye.

The real disadvantage is that they keep scheduling us tough games. Why don't we ever play the Sun Belt conference or Mountain West? Russ needs push Goodell to get us some confidence building games on the schedule. We should be opening against Appalachian State not New England.

Yeah, but we'd have to figure out their exam schedule and whether they are coming off a mid term 14 day rest....we always get screwed somehow.

Many coaches, including Ryan this week, have commented how a bye week in the middle of the season helps injuries heal and gives other players and coaches a needed break. However, what I find ironic about the Bills situation this year is that the Commissioner in a WNY guy, who supposedly has a soft spot in his heart for the Bills. Making out the NFL schedule has its share of complications, but it is not akin to rocket science or serious surgery. Was there no one in Goodell's office who could have reviewed the schedule for reasonableness regarding the extended break games before it was released? If the NFL was transparent about this, they should be willing to have someone explain the process and how the schedule is developed week-by-week.

Contacting them now is just to put them on notice that "Hey, we're paying attention now fellas" As for Toronto being held against us, the LEAGUE loves that we're playing there, at least they should, so holding that as a negative in scheduling would be silly.

I don't care for the timing of the communication either but this has gone on for so long that I agree there is no way it's accidental. The schedule is supposed to be developed to give poor teams the easiest schedules - that's why bottom teams play other bottom teams, but when you manipulate the dates that way it completely undoes that competitive balance that was supposed to be established.

The Bills faced the patriots after their bye in 2004,2005,2006,2007, and 2012. It is crazy how statistically unlikely that is. Basically, it is on purpose.

^

THIS

On the Pats* off their bye 4 straight years, the odds are about 4000 to 1 that happens randomly. What some folks also forget is that over that span we were often considered the number 2 team in the division. There have been several prior threads on that. New England* has over the years also gotten other high value games post- bye, including Miami the year after the Fins won the division and the Ravens the year after the Ravens knocked the Cheats * out of the playoffs. Notice, too, how New England* has played one team coming off a bye or Thurs game in the last two seasons, I believe, while Buffalo has played something like ten or more ( we were a big loser on the 2012 schedule, too, IIRC).

As I've said repeatedly, some NFL teams are more equal than others in the League's eyes. That's becoming increasingly clear to at least some of us. I personally applaud any move by the Bills to not let the NFL get away with that. After all, who wants to root for the Washington Generals every year when the League seems to pick (and help) its Globetrotters..,,,

+1

Russ doing this is little more than a HC who gets in the earhole of a Ref on the sidelines of a game before a play with potential for a controversial ruling. Levy used to remind Refs of a particular rule prior to plays like that. He also gave them a ration of **** when he thought a bogus call or non-call hurt The Bills.

Currently the 2014 schedule is nascent, so what better time than now to get in the League's earhole to plant the thought that The Bills don't want to be disrespected by the League wrt the League's "balanced and fair" schedule.

Tim Graham (and I believe Mike Harrington -can't confirm) talked about this over the summer. Below are links to a Graham article in June about it and then a Buff News video below with a discussion this week.

The bills have complained for years that they have too many home games in December, making it tougher to sell out. They got their wish this year. Its also been noted time and again Ralph hates night games (particularly Monday night) because it's harder for our longer distance fans to make it. The News reporters mentioned in the video that we have one of the easiest schedules in the league when it comes to travel distance- our farthest flight this year was to Miami.

While I wouldn't doubt the NFL most likely favors schedules to the big city markets/teams (they do control the powerful committees and "contribute" more in revenue sharing BTW), and the Bills probably get left farther down the totem pole when requests, there really is only so much you can ask for, be it 1PM every Sunday, minimal Dec games, etc.

Let's just hope this was a scheduling anomaly with rested teams and we actually freaking have a winning record for the first time in a decade in a half next year.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/06/page/3/

http://video.buffalonews.com/?video=2839105649001

His website (linked by Graham) really slams the Bills as whiners here...

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=1113