Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Just curious why Rogers is always compared to Hogan and Graham? Both of these guys made the active roster whereas Rogers didn't even make final cuts. I would think he would be compared to guys they signed to the PS? Or are we saying he should have actually made the active roster instead of Hogan or Graham?

id say he shouldve made the 53 over hogan. Once discussing the PS you have to take into account he might not have been willing to re-sign with us.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can marginalize it if you'd like; I don't think it's necessary in order to make the point you've been making for 10+ pages now (and I happen to think you're above it).

Try 53 pages. Some people are still trying to justify a few decisions that made no sense at the time that make even less sense in hindsight. Rogers and Crossman are the two that I am referring to. I am kind of over both conversations though. If someone really thinks that the Bills are in a better place after those decisions there is nothing more that I can do. Statistics, production over an extended period of time (good or bad) and talent are all clearly in one side.

The arguments against firing Crossman and cutting Rogers are some of the weakest that I have ever seen on this board. They range from, "don't complain there is nothing that we can do" to "the guy they kept instead caught 3 balls in a blowout win." Really?!? You aren't going to be charged with treason if you disagree. Most topics on here are debatable but these two are so one sided that it is functionally impossible to make a reasonable case.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's amazing that this thread is still alive. It's clear that the cutting of Rogers was just another dose of Buffalo Bills organizational disfunction. For Pete's sake, there are boarders on here that weren't even alive during the Bills's last winning season, but still people want to give the Bills the benefit of the doubt? It truly amazes me.

Could not possibly agree with this statement more... :thumbsup:

I'm assuming that the Hogan comment is a shot at me. I like to think (and have proven) to be an informed poster. The guy does . not belong in the NFL and he would not be making a positive impact on any team. I don't apologize for holding my team to higher standards than street free agent scrubs.

It's not a shot to be taken personally and I appreciate your continued informed contributions to this community.

My point is that cutting Rogers had nothing to do with Chris Hogan. It wasn't a choice between Rogers and Hogan. It came down to Rogers and Kaufman.

Additionally, and although Rogers didn't prove it on the field and in the classroom when he had the chance, it's not always a question of keeping the better player. It's a question of keeping the better player for your team. That's a coach's prerogative. It's unfortunate that simple age-old idea gets lost today.

But it will never change as long as there are coaches that need to make personnel decisions for their teams.

GO BILLS!!!

Doesn't this kind of say it all?

One would think.

Then again...

GO BILLS!!!

It's not a shot to be taken personally and I appreciate your continued informed contributions to this community.

My point is that cutting Rogers had nothing to do with Chris Hogan. It wasn't a choice between Rogers and Hogan. It came down to Rogers and Kaufman.

Additionally, and although Rogers didn't prove it on the field and in the classroom when he had the chance, it's not always a question of keeping the better player. It's a question of keeping the better player for your team. That's a coach's prerogative. It's unfortunate that simple age-old idea gets lost today.

But it will never change as long as there are coaches that need to make personnel decisions for their teams.

GO BILLS!!!

One would think.

Then again...

GO BILLS!!!

They shouldnt have kept hogan.

I agree. When opponents run plain vanilla defenses, like in preseason, it's a little easier for below average receivers to shine.

1.) The charted reps in practice and the subsequent daily breakdowns in the film room mean 1000x more than the action seen in a pre-season game.

2.) If those vanilla defenses allowed a scrub like Hogan to shine, one would think Rogers should have torn it up seven ways to Sunday. Why didn't he?

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

One would think.

Then again...

GO BILLS!!!

Do you think if Marrone could go back, he would have made a different decision concerning Rogers?

I don't.

Do you think if Marrone could go back, he would have made a different decision concerning Rogers?

I don't.

I don't either.

And to K-9's point I understand that the coaches will always make the decision. I know that I was not in the room but I do know that the people that I have talked to at OBD have a certain level of regret (even though they are stubborn in admitting it). To me it seemed like a mistake at the time and my issue is that as time goes on it will keep becoming a bigger and bigger mistake. No, I do not think that Rogers is a HOFer but I think that he can be a productive NFL player.

I don't either.

And to K-9's point I understand that the coaches will always make the decision. I know that I was not in the room but I do know that the people that I have talked to at OBD have a certain level of regret (even though they are stubborn in admitting it). To me it seemed like a mistake at the time and my issue is that as time goes on it will keep becoming a bigger and bigger mistake. No, I do not think that Rogers is a HOFer but I think that he can be a productive NFL player.

and ill say that much like i said immediately with K9's while i may not agree with the staffs sentiment, i trust he was accurately portraying what he was told and know he does have some "ins," i likewise will say you have been reliable when you put out your OBD insights

1.) The charted reps in practice and the subsequent daily breakdowns in the film room mean 1000x more than the action seen in a pre-season game.

2.) If those vanilla defenses allowed a scrub like Hogan to shine, one would think Rogers should have torn it up seven ways to Sunday. Why didn't he?

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed on point 1. What I meant in point 2 was that a guy who's more heady and knows the offense better is likely to make up the talent gap against plain vanilla defenses. I think the QB position is a perfect example of this point. A guy with limited physical talent can look good when he knows what the defense is going to do. When the live bullets start flying, then you need a guy with both.

In Rogers case, I think that the coaching staff needs to understand the kid was playing low level ball and relying solely on his physical talent against low-level competition prior to his entry into TC. Therefore he's going to need some time to acclimate himself to the NFL, and I don't believe a first ever TC is enough time for a guy of his physical talents.

Haven't been on this thread for a long time. Now I know why....pretty sure I read these same posts 35 pages ago.

I like this conversation. Lots of excellent points, very little snark.

It's like being at the bar with a few of your closest and most respected friends and having a meaningful conversation. Many of the other threads are like being on Chipp at 3am trying to navigate the blacked-out drunks (something I haven't done in a couple decades).

Edited by dubs

Not to get too far off-topic, but it will be critical for the Colts to hit on this signing (Rogers). Their 2013 draft was complete trash and the signings of DHB and TRich were horrible. DHB was supposed to become the #1 WR when Wayne went down and he was their version of TJ Graham before he got hurt. TRich cost them their #1 pick this year and has not helped them - they tried to get him to implement Pep Hamilton's offense, it didn't work, one of the worst trades in memory. They have gotten very little from their draft - the best so far has been Bjorn Werner, their #1 pick, and he had 18 tackles in 13 games! They traded away Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard which was a very uneven deal for them. They were lucky to be in a bad division and Luck has carried this team. He is throwing to guys signed off the street (Griff Whalen and Rogers). Despite his last game, Hilton has been up and down this year. Not a true #1. Have to credit Pagano as well. Their OL has been in constant flux with injuries and poor production. This will probably be the worst team Luck ever plays with. I don't think they beat NE but with all the bad personnel decisions they have made I am impressed they made it this far, plus beat some of the best teams in the league - Seattle, SF, Denver. They had some really bad games as well, but wow.

Not to get too far off-topic, but it will be critical for the Colts to hit on this signing (Rogers). Their 2013 draft was complete trash and the signings of DHB and TRich were horrible. DHB was supposed to become the #1 WR when Wayne went down and he was their version of TJ Graham before he got hurt. TRich cost them their #1 pick this year and has not helped them - they tried to get him to implement Pep Hamilton's offense, it didn't work, one of the worst trades in memory. They have gotten very little from their draft - the best so far has been Bjorn Werner, their #1 pick, and he had 18 tackles in 13 games! They traded away Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard which was a very uneven deal for them. They were lucky to be in a bad division and Luck has carried this team. He is throwing to guys signed off the street (Griff Whalen and Rogers). Despite his last game, Hilton has been up and down this year. Not a true #1. Have to credit Pagano as well. Their OL has been in constant flux with injuries and poor production. This will probably be the worst team Luck ever plays with. I don't think they beat NE but with all the bad personnel decisions they have made I am impressed they made it this far, plus beat some of the best teams in the league - Seattle, SF, Denver. They had some really bad games as well, but wow.

I know Luck is awful good...But Pagano is one hell of a coach...They turned over 2/3 of their roster in 2012, and outside of Luck and Hilton it's not like they have killed it in the Draft or Free Agency...I just think the guy is the most underrated coach in the NFL...I really, really like him...

That's part of the reason why I look at the Rogers situation differently...I have a tremendous amount of respect for Pagano and his ability to get the most out of what he's got...Though I'm still hopeful, I cannot give Marrone the same benefit of the doubt...Marrone came in and got a combined 1040 LESS yards, and 9 LESS TD's from Spiller and Stevie...So which coach would anybody assume has the better methodology, and was more likely to get the best out of Rogers? B-)

It is remarkable, the dolts who think this situation is now clarified and a guy with 14 catches on 23 targets is a bonafide star.

I further find fascinating the assertion that a "scrub" with 10 catches on 17 targets is a vastly inferior specimen.

Blaming Marrone for discarding talent for choir boys is a load of BS. See Kiko Alanzo. He had a background coming into the game too. But he's been a consummate pro from day one.

There was speculation from some of the players when Da'Rick was cut, that they hoped that would be the wake up call he needed. Maybe it was.

Maybe the guy will wash out of the league in two years as another "$100 talent with a ten cent brain." Saw this about him in Bleacher and thought it was hilarious.

Either way, move on. Bills are getting better. This new staff does get the benefit of the doubt. They are a completely new regime. Their first draft was the best I can remember, maybe in my 37 year lifetime. They get to keep who they want, discard who they want and ultimately own the outcomes. We'll see what that brings.

Either way, move on.

No... :D

Bills are getting better.

Maybe they are...Maybe they're not...This is still WAY up in the air...The Defense does seem like it's at least on the right track...Well...That was until they got run over in NE...

This new staff does get the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe from some...But I've been down this road enough to be skeptical...

They are a completely new regime...Their first draft was the best I can remember, maybe in my 37 year lifetime. They get to keep who they want, discard who they want and ultimately own the outcomes. We'll see what that brings.

I'm not really that concerned about Whaley...Marrone/Hackett are another story all together...

It is remarkable, the dolts who think this situation is now clarified and a guy with 14 catches on 23 targets is a bonafide star.

I further find fascinating the assertion that a "scrub" with 10 catches on 17 targets is a vastly inferior specimen.

Blaming Marrone for discarding talent for choir boys is a load of BS. See Kiko Alanzo. He had a background coming into the game too. But he's been a consummate pro from day one.

There was speculation from some of the players when Da'Rick was cut, that they hoped that would be the wake up call he needed. Maybe it was.

Maybe the guy will wash out of the league in two years as another "$100 talent with a ten cent brain." Saw this about him in Bleacher and thought it was hilarious.

Either way, move on. Bills are getting better. This new staff does get the benefit of the doubt. They are a completely new regime. Their first draft was the best I can remember, maybe in my 37 year lifetime. They get to keep who they want, discard who they want and ultimately own the outcomes. We'll see what that brings.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone say that in the first 55 pages of this thread, but I'll keep an eye out and let you know if anyone does.

You don't want to answer?

So it's just a rant...

I want to discuss the Bills coaching staff and it's decisions and hear different explanations for why they've done the things they've done. Why? Because it interests and entertains me. If you're taking to an anonymous message board to enact change you're likely to be disappointed.

Agreed on point 1. What I meant in point 2 was that a guy who's more heady and knows the offense better is likely to make up the talent gap against plain vanilla defenses. I think the QB position is a perfect example of this point. A guy with limited physical talent can look good when he knows what the defense is going to do. When the live bullets start flying, then you need a guy with both.

In Rogers case, I think that the coaching staff needs to understand the kid was playing low level ball and relying solely on his physical talent against low-level competition prior to his entry into TC. Therefore he's going to need some time to acclimate himself to the NFL, and I don't believe a first ever TC is enough time for a guy of his physical talents.

I like this conversation. Lots of excellent points, very little snark.

It's like being at the bar with a few of your closest and most respected friends and having a meaningful conversation. Many of the other threads are like being on Chipp at 3am trying to navigate the blacked-out drunks (something I haven't done in a couple decades).

I feel the same way. The posters involved are some of the better posters on the board. Whether we agree or not is irrelevant but it has been an interesting conversation on how to build a team.

I feel the same way. The posters involved are some of the better posters on the board. Whether we agree or not is irrelevant but it has been an interesting conversation on how to build a team.

so interesting that we have decided to have it, start to finish, 6 or 7 times now!

Either way, move on. Bills are getting better. This new staff does get the benefit of the doubt. They are a completely new regime.

The Bills are getting better? Couldn't be based on their record. Teams which improve usually get better as the season progresses. First half of season: 3-5. Second half? 3-5. And the Bills played a string of bottom dwellers (Jags, TB, Atl) the 2nd half. Strength of schedule was much higher the 1st half.

The Bills are getting better? Couldn't be based on their record. Teams which improve usually get better as the season progresses. First half of season: 3-5. Second half? 3-5. And the Bills played a string of bottom dwellers (Jags, TB, Atl) the 2nd half. Strength of schedule was much higher the 1st half.

I thought you'd take issue with the "completely new regime" given it's still Russ and even Whaley was part of the old regime (and of course guys like littman, overdorf etc, but I don't think they are in this decision).

It's tough to completely divorce this go around from the last even though we do have a good amount of new faces.

Well since we got a weeks overreaction of how amazing this guy is going to be because of his huge game changing (1) catch last week, can we get this week to be overreaction about how terrible he is and how justified the Bills were in cutting him?

Well since we got a weeks overreaction of how amazing this guy is going to be because of his huge game changing (1) catch last week, can we get this week to be overreaction about how terrible he is and how justified the Bills were in cutting him?

You are about 56 pages too late on your thoughts. As has been said a million times in this thread it is not so much about Da'Rick the player and more about that type of player (ie Mike Jasper, Jason Peters, etc..). It is about roster construction and guys with upside and question marks.

As stated earlier this has been one of the better threads on this board. It is some of the better posters on this board relaying their thoughts on how a winner is built.

You are about 56 pages too late on your thoughts. As has been said a million times in this thread it is not so much about Da'Rick the player and more about that type of player (ie Mike Jasper, Jason Peters, etc..). It is about roster construction and guys with upside and question marks.

As stated earlier this has been one of the better threads on this board. It is some of the better posters on this board relaying their thoughts on how a winner is built.

Yes it has been some of the better posters beating the same dead horse all week long.

It's impossible to separate the player from the conversation though. There are some knuckleheads that end up getting it and turning it around. There are others that don't. Question marks vary player to player as does the results.

You can't say that this has nothing to do with the player.

Yes it has been some of the better posters beating the same dead horse all week long.

It's impossible to separate the player from the conversation though. There are some knuckleheads that end up getting it and turning it around. There are others that don't. Question marks vary player to player as does the results.

You can't say that this has nothing to do with the player.

I would agree that it does have something to do with the actual player, but the conversation is bigger than that. It's more a discussion of what is the best approach for the Bills to take. Some think the team should prioritize talent and try to work with players with attitudinal issues. Others think the team should prioritize attitude and get rid of people who aren't with the program. It also raises questions of whether you take the guy that helps you win now or the guy that might help you win tomorrow. Da'Rick Rogers is just a real world example people use to illustrate their take on the situation as it pertains to those philosophies..

I would agree that it does have something to do with the actual player, but the conversation is bigger than that. It's more a discussion of what is the best approach for the Bills to take. Some think the team should prioritize talent and try to work with players with attitudinal issues. Others think the team should prioritize attitude and get rid of people who aren't with the program. It also raises questions of whether you take the guy that helps you win now or the guy that might help you win tomorrow. Da'Rick Rogers is just a real world example people use to illustrate their take on the situation as it pertains to those philosophies..

Every team balances somewhere between those extremes (usually), and the Bills have other players that fit the "developmental" mold, Da'Rick just isn't one of them. It wasn't that big of a decision, or somehow indicative of complete incompetence in the Bills organization.

No one even knows all the reasons why he was released, so there are conclusions being drawn based on rampant speculation.

Silliness...

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Well said. This is not a surface conversation. It seems to be little deeper that certain posters can contemplate. All of us want what is best or the Bills and we just disagree on how to go about assembling the team. The people that are making this about Da'Rick's performances (both good and bad) are just not keeping up with the topic. It wasn't about the player when he had 100+ yards and 2 TDs and it is not about the player when he goes without a catch. What is best for the Bills both short and long term?

Well said. This is not a surface conversation. It seems to be little deeper that certain posters can contemplate. All of us want what is best or the Bills and we just disagree on how to go about assembling the team. The people that are making this about Da'Rick's performances (both good and bad) are just not keeping up with the topic. It wasn't about the player when he had 100+ yards and 2 TDs and it is not about the player when he goes without a catch. What is best for the Bills both short and long term?

Perhaps the topic should have a new title then?

I am with you. It started when he was activated and that is how it has remained here. The topic probably should be "when to roll the dice and when to fold your hand."

Sounds good.

One Hogan in the hand, is worth two Da'Rick's in the bush.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Sounds good.

One Hogan in the hand, is worth two Da'Rick's in the bush.

Ha ha, this topic will probably never end. When he has no catches certain people will jump in. When he has 100 yards the other side will jump in. The reality is that the team has some holes (nowhere near as many as they did a year or 2 ago) and as long they get better I don't care.

Go Bills!!

Ha ha, this topic will probably never end. When he has no catches certain people will jump in. When he has 100 yards the other side will jump in. The reality is that the team has some holes (nowhere near as many as they did a year or 2 ago) and as long they get better I don't care.

Go Bills!!

I feel the same way. The off season is always full of frustration. But hey look! They re-signed Brian Moorman!

Again I will beat my own dead horse. It has everything to do with the individual player. The Bills have proven they are not beholden to any one strategy when it comes to dealing with players with behavioral problems. They drafted both Duke Williams and Kiko Alonso who had issues in college and then made the team. Duke Williams did not contribute to the team this year but was kept around all year long. As for the win now vs. win tomorrow that is a delicate balance for every team the Bills included. Some players are kept because they can help you win now and some are kept on potential. Each individual player is weighed on this scale. Is it worth the time and investment on said player? Again this has to deal with Da'Rick himself in this thread as several posters are up in arms that Chris Hogan was kept over Da'Rick.

I grasp it just fine but you are lying to yourself if you think this thread doesn't have to do with Da'Rick himself. I have kept up with this topic and am fairly neutral on it. We won't know whether this was a good cut or not for quite some time. Add in the fact that none of us truly know the circumstances that led to his being cut and we may never know. If he doesn't have that "game changing catch" last week does this thread get ressurected? You yourself have railed against Hogan vs. Rogers repeatedly in this thread. Why? You think long term that HE will contribute more to the team.

In post 573 of this thread you stated that you were done with this topic. Then in 576 you bumped this topic over his one catch. That was page 29!!! My original post today was completely tongue in cheek about the overreaction to his one catch and how it was proof that the Bills had screwed the pooch. What followed was 27 pages in one week!!! That is not a "simple conversation on philosophy."

I will leave you with this (no that doesn;t mean I'm done with this topic)... You can not separate this conversation from the player. As I have said repeatedly each player brings his own talents, baggage, work ethic, and potential. There is no cookie cutter philosophy to who gets kept and who doesn't. Each player has his own circumstances.

Edited by section122