The Curse of Flutie?

dubs

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad thing is that 1999 was the last year of good football played by this franchise. They might have been good in 2000, too, but they refused to play Flutie again. When he would come into the games, you'd see that the team was actually pretty good. It just goes to show the importance of good QB play. I wish we could party like it's 1999, but we have had nothing but losers at the most important position on the field for the last 14 years and counting. Is it any coincidence that we've stunk every year since then!!

In Flutie's last game as a Bill he had a perfect QB rating on the road in a Monsoon in Husky Stadium vs. Seattle Seahawks. Flutie was 20 for 25 with 366 yards 3 TDs and 0 Ints in a 43 - 23 win.

I was at a game at the Ralph. I think it was the Bills vs Patsies game in a blizzard in 2000. Anyway, RJ was starting. In the 2nd quarter RJ got hurt and Flutie came in. As often did in these cases the Bills came alive and looked like a different team. The lady sitting in front of us said "they play different when Flutie's in." True, and that's the mark of a really good QB. They raise the level of play of the whole team. See Roger Staubach's quote in my sig.

The real curse here is that Rob Johnson turned out to be such a flaming dumpster fire that people remember Flutie to be a great QB...

Flutie was a GOOD QB who didnt come to the Bills until he was nearly 36 yrs old. And for 2 + yrs showed incredible athleticism for a man his age.

He won games.---Did he have his limitations?? Of course. partially because defenses figured him out a bit and partially because he was getting older

and his arm/accuracy started to go.but what an enormous improvement he was over RJ--and he temporarily restored a winning culture to the Bills

Wish we woulda gotten him to take over as JK was retiring. We woulda gott an even better/younger QB and not had to suffer through the Collins/Losman nightmares.

Haven't gone through this whole thread, but I know there are a lot of Flutoniams who can't comprehend why anyone would have a problem with little Dougie. Not sure if it has been brought up in this thread, but the Bucky Gleason article of 2001 is required reading on the subject. It is hard to find on the web now - but this old TSW post has the article:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/90671-you-gotta-love-the-flutie-magic/page__st__340?do=findComment&comment=1467198

Count me in the crowd who considers Flutie a self-promoting me-first locker room cancer.

The most embarrased I've ever been as a Bills fan was during the SD game mentioned in the article. Flutie was playing for SD the year after leaving the Bills. I was at a packed 'Bills' bar watching the game, and a large group of a-hole 'Bills fans' were loudly cheering for Flutie and against the Bills the whole game. It made me sick.

Living in the present.....Is that really advisable for Bills fans?

The moment... is better than the last 14 years. It's all we have.

Haven't gone through this whole thread, but I know there are a lot of Flutoniams who can't comprehend why anyone would have a problem with little Dougie. Not sure if it has been brought up in this thread, but the Bucky Gleason article of 2001 is required reading on the subject. It is hard to find on the web now - but this old TSW post has the article:

http://forums.twobil...40#entry1467198

Count me in the crowd who considers Flutie a self-promoting me-first locker room cancer.

The most embarrased I've ever been as a Bills fan was during the SD game mentioned in the article. Flutie was playing for SD the year after leaving the Bills. I was at a packed 'Bills' bar watching the game, and a large group of a-hole 'Bills fans' were loudly cheering for Flutie and against the Bills the whole game. It made me sick.

I was at a game against NE where the weather was awful. Just cold and rainy/sleety and getting worse all game (we got into a scary spin-out on some black ice on I-90 on the way home - got lucky). RJ started and was terrible. He got injured... Flutie fans cheered. I'll never forget that - about his supporters.

I know that this is a physical game, but when we let the game make us as fans cease to act human, I turn it off.

The moment... is better than the last 14 years. It's all we have.

I was at a game against NE where the weather was awful. Just cold and rainy/sleety and getting worse all game (we got into a scary spin-out on some black ice on I-90 on the way home - got lucky). RJ started and was terrible. He got injured... Flutie fans cheered. I'll never forget that - about his supporters.

I know that this is a physical game, but when we let the game make us as fans cease to act human, I turn it off.

o please.... yeah 'flutie fans' cheered...just stop it. Idiots cheered. What a way to try to slime a group of people who like Flutie as a QB.Illogical.

I was at that game too but don't remember that.

When a player gets hurt and gets up to walk off the fans cheer. Not because he was hurt, but because he put up a valiant effort and fans are happy he's not dead.

What I remember is both teams were just running thinking that a FG could win it. Then Flutie comes in and starts throwing the football all over the place and making completions. Then Bill Bellyache decides to do likewise and have Blue Dredslow pass too. Game ended up tied and went into OT. Idiot Kicker Adam Veneteri kicked the game winner. Tough loss but fun game. We were staying at a hotel just a few miles away from the stadium luckily. Ordered Pizza and watched the Sunday night game.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/90671-you-gotta-love-the-flutie-magic/page__st__340?do=findComment&comment=1467198

Believe me, I have no illusions about Flutie being a great guy, but this article mostly proves one thing to me -- that Bucky Gleason should never, ever write about the game of football. The man is clueless.

Edited by dave mcbride

o please.... yeah 'flutie fans' cheered...just stop it. Idiots cheered. What a way to try to slime a group of people who like Flutie as a QB.Illogical.

Ok.

I was at that game too but don't remember that.

When a player gets hurt and gets up to walk off the fans cheer. Not because he was hurt, but because he put up a valiant effort and fans are happy he's not dead.

I assure you the people in my section cheered as RJ got levelled.

This whole situation was toxic and as a Bills fan I am (perhaps only mildly) surprised that some Bills fans want to relive it to pursue some revisionist-history fantasies. The past ain't gonna change.

Ok.

I assure you the people in my section cheered as RJ got levelled.

This whole situation was toxic and as a Bills fan I am (perhaps only mildly) surprised that some Bills fans want to relive it to pursue some revisionist-history fantasies. The past ain't gonna change.

Here's the great thing about a voluntary message board: If you don't like the conversation, you don't have to participate. Telling other people that the "past isn't going to change" doesn't really add much to the discussion. Personally, I enjoy discussing events of Bills past.

This particular situation was one of the most controversial topic in Bills history. I appreciate SteveWin's post! Not only for his excellent choice of an avatar, but also because that was a great find and great addition to the discussion.

There's no doubt that at best, Flutie's personality was in serious question. It doesn't change my belief though that if they really thought he was such a terrible person and divided the locker room that much, they should have gotten rid of him either after the 98 season or the 99 season. But you DON'T change QB's right before a playoff game.

Here's the great thing about a voluntary message board: If you don't like the conversation, you don't have to participate. Telling other people that the "past isn't going to change" doesn't really add much to the discussion. Personally, I enjoy discussing events of Bills past.

This particular situation was one of the most controversial topic in Bills history. I appreciate SteveWin's post! Not only for his excellent choice of an avatar, but also because that was a great find and great addition to the discussion.

There's no doubt that at best, Flutie's personality was in serious question. It doesn't change my belief though that if they really thought he was such a terrible person and divided the locker room that much, they should have gotten rid of him either after the 98 season or the 99 season. But you DON'T change QB's right before a playoff game.

Fair enough, and look, some posters that I like and respect a LOT disagree with me on this and on Flutie. I just think we get this "Flutie curse" thing coming up every year -- and I know it's generally tongue in cheek. I just don't think anything new is discovered in these conversations and it's just another way for many of us on either side to get embroiled in negativity - you're right that I needn't participate if it bothers me so much. I had read the Bucky column and knew about it before. It informed my own opinion, though I look at it now on a journalistic level and it is pretty bare - lots of "people on the inside know X."

Right now I think the only interesting thing that could come out of it is for a really good writer to get guys to go on record as to what went wrong and make a fascinating book about the drama. Till then, I think we're all just camped out in particular sites of opinion.

Also note that these "curse" posts don't usually come up at the start of the season (honeymoon period for a new team) or after a win (the dogs are called off). In addition, I started a joke one about how the real curse was the move of training camp from Fredonia, so I know it's all in good fun. I just want it to be fun.

Just my observations.