The Curse of Flutie?

dubs

I was looking around Pro-Football-Reference for some context of how historically bad the Bills last 13 years have been and finally came to the 1999 playoff game. I remember watching the game at the Harp in Boston, but didn't really recall how bad Rob Johnson played that game. I remember thinking that he put that team in a position to win and they actually should have won if not for the illegal forward pass.

Anyway, it struck me as surprising at how bad of a game RJ had. Johnson was 10-22 for 131 yards. No TDs or INTs. He was also sacked 6 times that led directly to 12 points. First he was sacked and fumbled, Tennessee recovered on the Bills 29. Tenn kicked a FG.

Then early in the 2nd quarter, RJ was sacked for a safety and on the ensuing free kick, Tennessee's Mason returned the kick 42 yards to the Bills 28. 5 plays later McNair scored on a one yard run.

We all know what's happened since that game, it's been a complete nightmare and looks like its going to continue for the foreseeable future. This begs the question, did Flutie curse us? Just to be safe, I think the organizations needs to publicly apologize to him.

I can't ever remember a situation where a QB started for a playoff team for the first 15 games, then gets told he's going to get a final week off to rest and gets benched in the playoff game. Sounds like Curse material.

I know, this is really supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but mostly wanted to pass along what was a minor revelation to me.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true. They sat Flutie and the playoff game ended with the music city miracle and we haven't been back to the playoffs since. If that's not a curse then I don't know what is. We need to make peace with Doug or we will never make the playoffs again

The Bills did some awful things at that time. Benching Flutie was incredibly stupid, but does anyone remember the day they released Smith, Thomas and Reed all at the same time? It was in a small press release that the team issued. Talk about bad Karma. That classless move pretty much ensured that Buffalo would not get any quality free agents for quite some time.

And you are probably still harping mad that Jauron got canned, lol

Hah. As I said, it's more tongue-in-cheek. What was really shocking was how bad of a game RJ had. It was decidedly EJesque. RJ…EJ…EJ…RJ….freaky.

Some fans still carry around this idea that Flutie was a cancer of some kind. I've asked many many times for a single example of this or any evidence at all that Flutie was a negative influence on the team. I've never received an answer to this.

I'm not saying it isn't true. I don't know. I'm just asking. Is there any indication that other Bills players disliked Flutie (besides Rob Johnson)? From my point of view, as a fan, I saw Flute win a bunch of games. He reinvigorated a stale franchise and led the team to two consecutive playoff appearances.

I've never understood the hatred for Flutie that many fans have. Please, enlighten me.

I also just realized the spread on that game was Titans (-5). Imagine if you had some action on the Bills and instead of winning and covering, they lose and don't cover, in the span of about 5 seconds. I'd pretty much snap.

Some fans still carry around this idea that Flutie was a cancer of some kind. I've asked many many times for a single example of this or any evidence at all that Flutie was a negative influence on the team. I've never received an answer to this.

I'm not saying it isn't true. I don't know. I'm just asking. Is there any indication that other Bills players disliked Flutie (besides Rob Johnson)? From my point of view, as a fan, I saw Flute win a bunch of games. He reinvigorated a stale franchise and led the team to two consecutive playoff appearances.

I've never understood the hatred for Flutie that many fans have. Please, enlighten me.

I'm with you. For all the reasons you've stated, I don't understand the hatred for Flutie either. He really did a lot for the franchise. Not only that, he totally epitomized the blue collar, underdog role that is the Buffalo Bills...and was successful here.

Antwain Smith bailed us out with a HUGE 50+ yard run in the 2nd half if I recall.....we had little to no offense prior.

One of THE dumbest decisions I have witnessed in sports.....the team was SB bound under DF that year.

I do not believe the decision was Wade's - just think he had to take the fall for a meddling owner.

I'd like to hear the reasons, too. He did mask the problems they had with the OL and occasionally threw a bad pass that put the receiver in a compromising spot (who doesn't), but he lit a fire under the team that nobody else could. They were much better off with Flutie as the QB. Also,those teams he played on had excellent defenses, which helped carry them.

Based on all of the stories I heard, it was Ralph that insisted Johnson play that playoff game. He had a great game in a meaningless Week 17 win against Indy (who already wrapped up a bye), so rumor has it that RW wanted to get something out of all that money he was paying RJ. Despite the numbers, I thought RJ played pretty well in that game, all things considered. That was a difficult environment to play in, going up against a tough defense. He showed a lot of toughness on that drive to the go-ahead FG after getting beaten up all game.

Edited by BuffaloWings

The Curse of Flutie started when he LOST the playoff game he started against the Dolphins in 1999. <_< Oh yeah...he did lose that game. He lost it by fumbling the ball on the goal line. Funny how no one remembers. Kind of ruins the whole Flutie mania thing, I guess.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The Curse of Flutie started when he LOST the playoff game he started against the Dolphins in 1999. <_< Oh yeah...he did lose that game. He lost it by fumbling the ball on the goal line. Funny how no one remembers. Kind of ruins the whole Flutie mania thing, I guess.

PTR

True. However I don't think anyone is saying that Flutie was the second coming of Joe Montana. The point (a lighthearted one) that I was trying to make was he got royally screwed in 1999 by Wade/Ralph/whoever.

I didn't happen to remember how bad RJ had played in that game. The years and emphasis on the forward lateral clouded that for me. In reality, Flutie likely doesn't make those same mistakes and we win that game.

PTR

So, he lost it because of one play? Because the OL couldn't hold a block for an extra half second?They probably wouldn't have even had a chance to tie that game if it wasn't for him. The phantom penalties called on the Bills in the 4th quarter didn't help, either.

PTR

Except they went to the playoffs the following year. Makes no sense *smh

PTR

Didn't Andre Reed drop a crucial pass in the game, and he got flagged for a huge penalty. Funny how no one remembers anyone else's mistakes in that game.