Bills' Blackout Threats Are a Joke

patfitz

In what range do they black out the games? Could one drive to say, Rochester, and watch the game?

Nope. Albany, Binghamton maybe. It would be cheaper to go to the stadium and find a scalper when you compare paying for gas to get far enough away to see the game in a bar.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Albany, Binghamton maybe. It would be cheaper to go to the stadium and find a scalper when you compare paying for gas to get far enough away to see the game in a bar.

So lame.

Granted, I live on the west coast so it doesn't affect me. I drop 40 bucks on beer and food to watch the games at a bar regardless.

In what range do they black out the games? Could one drive to say, Rochester, and watch the game?

In the 60s, Rochester got the games. I know my father, my grandmother and great uncle (the latter two were in their 60s and weren't even born in this country) rented a motel room in Rochester and went there to watch the AFL championship game. That was when they didn't show the game even when they WERE sold out.

I'll be there!

I don't know what your story is, but as a college student, I feel you - time to scalp some cheap tickets now that the season is in the toilet since the first half of the season is way too damn expensive for anyone besides the upper middle class (not trying to criticize those who can afford to go, just pointing out a reality).

First try fielding a legitimate team in over a decade and than we can decide if the blackouts are a penalty or a blessing. It's time to wake up Ralph or maybe reboot the Bills el presidente, Russ Castro.

Everyone is frustrated, i get that. But I think alot of fans that are ill, handicapped etc really look forward to the game being on TV win or lose. Remember, every game this year has been good except last weeks stinker. Ive gone to games and watched on TV and enjoyed it. Of course wins always make this much better.

ralph is the man !

I agree. But doesn't it seem a little weird. He's been stingy with his pocket book for so long. Just this offseason he opted to not make use of the NFL's new 85% sellout rule. Now he's guaranteed two sellouts this year. It feels like a weekend at bernies situation where someone else is controlling him and making his decisions. Either way, thank you and God bless you Ralph.

This is a tragic concept really. And is actually far more reaching than what most people even realize. My sister and brother-in-law in Cortland can be blacked out....really...that isn't' even close to the 70 miles supposed radius black out. I know I know if the station who broadcasts the game is within 70 miles....blah blah blah but then why can't they get directv and have the ticket? A 73,000 seat stadium in a city of 260,000? Ok so maybe the greater market area is closer to 1,110,000 still putting Buffalo on the edge of the top 50 markets in the US. If you consider that the Ralph is what #11 in stadium size and the 14 smallest have an average of 64.5K or 12% smaller add in the 85% sellout rule and those stadiums only need to sell roughly 55k tickets vs 62k to hit 85% at the Ralph...that 7,000 extra tickets seem to be a major issue of why any game even comes close to being blacked out.

This comes from a guy that lives in Saratoga and catches all the games on The Sunday ticket I just hate knowing any fan not getting to watch if they are so inclined. GO BILLS!

I agree. But doesn't it seem a little weird. He's been stingy with his pocket book for so long. Just this offseason he opted to not make use of the NFL's new 85% sellout rule. Now he's guaranteed two sellouts this year. It feels like a weekend at bernies situation where someone else is controlling him and making his decisions. Either way, thank you and God bless you Ralph.

I enjoy the sentiment in your post, but can you please support the bold statement?

Agreed and this is a great myth that lives on this board. You can question whether he paid the right people, but he has always spent money. He just spent it poorly most of the time.

I think GM has been the primary problem for many years. I agree ... the money has been spent; just stupidly. If you're paying the wrong GM a lot of money ... then letting the wrong GM spend a lot of money ... it ain't gonna end well. It could likely end up with 13 years of no playoffs ...

I think GM has been the primary problem for many years. I agree ... the money has been spent; just stupidly. If you're paying the wrong GM a lot of money ... then letting the wrong GM spend a lot of money ... it ain't gonna end well. It could likely end up with 13 years of no playoffs ...

Agreed. But it's more of a trust issue. Polian insulted his daughter. If someone said what Polian said about my daughter, they'd have to pull me off him. He gave TD complete control and TD the "football guy" was awful. So he got cautious and got someone he trusted in Marv. Now, he has finally given up control again. But there are certainly valid reasons why he struggles to trust GMs.

Look at the Cowboys. Jones will spend everything, have the flashiest stadiums, hire the top coaches, and what has it gotten them? Bob Kraft is a great owner because the Pats lucked into Brady. Ralph was a great owner when the Bills had Kelly.

In the 60s, Rochester got the games. I know my father, my grandmother and great uncle (the latter two were in their 60s and weren't even born in this country) rented a motel room in Rochester and went there to watch the AFL championship game. That was when they didn't show the game even when they WERE sold out.

in the 90's or so they would black out Rochester but let Syracuse have the game...Rochester area picked up Syracuse channels so all we had to do was flip over to the Syracuse channels...someone caught on to this and widened the blackout radius to include Syracuse...Cortland probably also gets Syracuse channels so they probably fall into that category...

I live 220 miles from R.Wilson Stadium...in eastern upstate NY! the games are STILL under the "LOCAL" black out rule! Takes me over 4 hours to get to the stadium!!! I would have season tickets if I lived closer and didn't work every sunday! I have to record every game and watch it when I get home. What gets me is, there are sometimes when the game is sold out, and is NOT ON TV! they will have the Jets game on, or some other crappy AFC game. it hasn't happened this year...yet, but last year 1 or 2 times and the year before it was 3 times! and when the game was supposed to be on the next week, you got it....BLACK OUT! pisses me right the hell off big time!!!

in the 90's or so they would black out Rochester but let Syracuse have the game...Rochester area picked up Syracuse channels so all we had to do was flip over to the Syracuse channels...someone caught on to this and widened the blackout radius to include Syracuse...Cortland probably also gets Syracuse channels so they probably fall into that category...

yes this is true, I am under the "syracuse" channels as well, even though I live well over an hour, east of there! Binghamton has it's own TWC "headquarters" so they are not under the Syracuse blackout and get the games, but they are not always on there, I used to live there and my parents still do, The Jets are on a lot! which is like 4 hours to the Jets stadium in New Jersey, so I really don't get it.

It's not just buffalo. It happens to every team in the league that doesn't sell out games. The "threats" don't happen in those cities tough because they know people don't care. They have better things to do than go to football games.

Miami

Jax

Tampa

Oakland

San Fran

NO

Carolina

The list could really go on and on.

One thing yiur right about is winning cures everything. Look at the Pats of the 80s and early 90s until Drew Bedsore. They were the talk of the league about being moved. Much like the Saints of a few seasons ago as well. Then, all the sudden Drew Bree's and Payton change everything.

ralph has never been cheap.

he hasn't always spent his money or picked his GM's wisely.

his commitment to WNY as evidenced by low ticket prices and the fact they are still here speaks volumes.

was one of only two owners who correctly spoke out against the previous CBA.

likely saved the AFL from folding by financially backing the Raiders and Patriots.

I could go on and on.

all that's left for sainthood is his estate plan to secure the team in WNY upon his passing and cement his legacy.

god bless Ralph Wilson and may he live to 120.