Well as of right now we draft 6th

Kellyto83TD

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would be absolutely amazed at how these perceived weaknesses vanish if you line up a Brees, Brady or Manning behind Center. The defense would improve immediately because it would not constantly be trotting out there in poor field position after 3 and outs. Those "midget" receivers would constantly be open, and the running game would terrorize defenses that were set up to stop the pass. Even the coach might appear to be competent. The importance of having a great QB cannot be overstated.

This. +1000. The defense isn't the problem. Moorman punted NINE times against the Steelers, Manuel threw a pick, and the defense only managed to give up 23 points. I don't know what the average starting field position was for the Steelers but after some of the punt returns and the turnover it was probably terrific.

It is not a coincidence that the last time we were anywhere close to making the playoffs (2005), we had a QB with some sort of documented success in Bledsoe. He was washed up at the time for sure, but at least he knew what he was doing. We haven't had a quarterback that knew what he was doing in 8 years. It's time to change that and if it means drafting first round QBs until we get a hit, then that's what it means

I am over and done with quarterbacks of the future. This organization has tried and failed way too many times to develop a 'raw' rookie QB. We do not have the supporting cast on offense or coaching staff to do that. We need a Brady, Luck, Marino, Manning, etc to turn this franchise around. If any franchise in the NFL hopes to win, the quarterback needs to be one of the best players on the team. That's the modern NFL. The Broncos are ranked 26th in points allowed per game but Manning makes that irrelevant. The 49ers cut Alex Smith, someone with a 100+ QB rating for them the previous season, the Chiefs pick him up along with a proven head coach, and now they are undefeated. Imagine what our defense could do with a competent quarterback.

http://www.bucsnatio...first-for-a-day

I would normally see this as a bright spot in ANOTHER crap season, but we have the same clowns picking players so even that is a downer. I would say tank the rest of the season for the #3-4 pick, but what would it matter. These clowns will screw it up.

And you KNOW what is going to happen right? Manzel comes out and is #1 and there will still be 2-3 NFL ready type QB's (unlike EJ who had no business being picked in the first) and Buffalo will bypass them because they have EJ.

And why not? isn't that how it normally goes for the Bills fans?

Great Post!

http://www.bucsnatio...first-for-a-day

I would normally see this as a bright spot in ANOTHER crap season, but we have the same clowns picking players so even that is a downer. I would say tank the rest of the season for the #3-4 pick, but what would it matter. These clowns will screw it up.

And you KNOW what is going to happen right? Manzel comes out and is #1 and there will still be 2-3 NFL ready type QB's (unlike EJ who had no business being picked in the first) and Buffalo will bypass them because they have EJ.

And why not? isn't that how it normally goes for the Bills fans?

Fear not, they will draft a guard who turns out to be average or a bust, or a WR way too high and proclaim he is the next AJ Green. And he won't. If they have a high pick they NEED it to be a QB.

This. +1000. The defense isn't the problem. Moorman punted NINE times against the Steelers, Manuel threw a pick, and the defense only managed to give up 23 points. I don't know what the average starting field position was for the Steelers but after some of the punt returns and the turnover it was probably terrific.

It is not a coincidence that the last time we were anywhere close to making the playoffs (2005), we had a QB with some sort of documented success in Bledsoe. He was washed up at the time for sure, but at least he knew what he was doing. We haven't had a quarterback that knew what he was doing in 8 years. It's time to change that and if it means drafting first round QBs until we get a hit, then that's what it means

I am over and done with quarterbacks of the future. This organization has tried and failed way too many times to develop a 'raw' rookie QB. We do not have the supporting cast on offense or coaching staff to do that. We need a Brady, Luck, Marino, Manning, etc to turn this franchise around. If any franchise in the NFL hopes to win, the quarterback needs to be one of the best players on the team. That's the modern NFL. The Broncos are ranked 26th in points allowed per game but Manning makes that irrelevant. The 49ers cut Alex Smith, someone with a 100+ QB rating for them the previous season, the Chiefs pick him up along with a proven head coach, and now they are undefeated. Imagine what our defense could do with a competent quarterback.

We would be contending for a SB with a competent QB (and slightly better play calling).

I don't disagree with the point of needing a pass catching, seam-stretching TE...but I hope you would not think we need a 1st round TE...and I'm not saying that is your posited solution...but look around the league...which 1st round TEs are blowing opponents away?? Julius Thomas and Jordan Cameron are both 4th round draft picks, in the same year I might add...Pettigrew is a glorified blocker and Eifert may do well, but not pass catching machine as of yet.....I think you can find a great TE in the 3rd round...the BILLS need one for sure, but have even more pressing needs in the first two rounds, maybe first three rounds...

Vernon Davis

He was the 6th overall pick in 2006. If we can get the next Vernon Davis I say do it

The "easy" part of our schedule has arrived just in time to push us out of the top 10 of the draft, and to convince bills fans that we are "not that bad"

isn't this the way it goes every year? We'll have the 15th pick in the draft, still no QB, and will be 7-9 forever!

It will be very interesting to see what the Bills do in free agency this off season. I think that will give us a good picture of what their plans are for the draft.

Look at all the possible free agents at QB coming up. There should be no reason why we dont sign a quality back up.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2014-nfl-free-agents/

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

Vernon Davis

He was the 6th overall pick in 2006. If we can get the next Vernon Davis I say do it

But he is an outlier in an otherwise standard format that produces mediocrity from the TE position....I'm not saying there aren't good to great TE's drafted in the 1st round, but there are far more that were drafted in the middle rounds that turn out to be just as good if not better in some circumstances.Gonzalez is another 1st round talent that has done well, but Jimmy Graham was a 3rd rounder, Jason Witten was a 3rd round TE, the list goes on...as for drafting a TE in the 1st round, sorry, but there is not enough data or statistics to support utilizing a 1st round pick on a TE...J, IMO

I always viewed Dorsey as a game manager with tons of talent around him. Manziel is the polar opposite if that. He makes a million plays and a bunch of mistakes. His decision making is questionable, instincts off the charts, good arm strength (Dorsey had none), huge hands which compensates for his height (he is taller than Brees) and the ability to rise to the occasion. He may not stay healthy but he is an interesting prospect.

He is 1 of those guys that scouts dont know how to classify. I bet he doesnt make it out of the top 10. Some team is going to roll the dice on what appears to be a boom or bust prospect. He has done things at the college level (in the SEC) that no one has ever done.

I'd roll the dice on Manziel over Marriota or Bridgewater. Alabama gave up 42 to A&M and has given up 53 pts combined against all other teams. I think he'll get better. He's nothing close to being a similar player to Dorsey.

Picking 6th either Taylor Lewan OT Michigan (6-8/310) or C.J. Mosley LB Alabama (6-2/230). Lewan is big, athletic and plays with a mean streak. Good RT candidate as a rookie and later move to LT. Mosely is a play maker who really flies to the ball and creates plays. Both would be good additions to the Bills.

exactly

I would have no problem if they admitted they were wrong, and drafted a QB in the 1st.

I would be very happy. But they won't. 1st year of the "new" old regime, and they will stand pat.

With the new(-ish) rookie wage scale, we should take a QB rd1 until one lights it up his rookie year. Are there downsides to this? Yes, potentially. But in the end I believe we'll come out far, far ahead.

I agree with this up to a point. I don't think it feasible to do every year(for many reasons)......and there has to be a QB who you really like that is available.

I have to add that to me it feels wrong to do this, but my head says that obtaining a star QB has become so important in relation to long term and ultimate success that to me at least it overrides any other concerns. It doesn't however show that one is giving up on EJ(or any other QB) either......just that rolling the dice more regularly on drafting a QB has become a lot easier and a lot more important than in times past.

The criticism about EJ Manuel isn't just a reaction from "bad games" against Pittsburgh or New York.

Through his 6 games, people are seeing SERIOUS problems with his fundamental throwing ability. He's not just making stupid rookie mistakes. He's not just getting confused by defensive coordinators. He's standing in a clean pocket and throwing 5 yard passes into the dirt. He can't seem to throw a catchable ball anywhere near the sidelines. And he already seems scared to go downfield, for fear of making a mistake.

Guys like Andrew Luck and RG3 get a bigger pass on bad games, because they have also shown (numerous times) that they are capable of greatness.

So far, Manuel's claim to fame is drive against Carolina (where he dinked and dunked down the field, then got a pass interference call). The only other thing Bills fans have to go on is the mysterious "IT" factor that some say he's got.

He has other fundamental problems as well, such as not seeing the field, looking for secondary receivers, and being a very passive "leader."

I agree with this. The upcoming draft is supposed to be a QB-rich draft, but the Bills will not take a QB in the high rounds due to EJ - who has ultimately not proven a thing here yet. A few positive glimpses here & there, but has not shown he can be a franchise QB. Oh, and with the weaker part of the schedule coming up, Buffalo should win enough games to screw themselves out of a top-6 pick anyhow. The curse of mediocrity continues.

Edited by ChasBB