Well as of right now we draft 6th

Kellyto83TD

I totally agree but it will never happen.

Why do people think this? The salary cap for rookies has changed drastically. Teams are no longer committed to their 1st round pick for 3-4 years. We owe EJ approximately $1M per year over the next 4 years - that's not a financial commitment we are tied down with. Heck, that's nothing.

I'm not abandoning EJ, I still want to watch him play out these last 6 games and watch for improvement. But if these last 6 games resemble what happened in Pitt last week, then we have to draft a QB early.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people think this? The salary cap for rookies has changed drastically. Teams are no longer committed to their 1st round pick for 3-4 years. We owe EJ approximately $1M per year over the next 4 years - that's not a financial commitment we are tied down with. Heck, that's nothing.

I'm not abandoning EJ, I still want to watch him play out these last 6 games and watch for improvement. But if these last 6 games resemble what happened in Pitt last week, then we have to draft a QB early.

This is the only reasonable opinion on the issue. If the bills have a top 5 pick it means EJ did nothing in these final 6 games and Marrone better abandon him if he wants any chance at keeping his job. If the Bills pass on ANOTHER quality NFL QB early in next year's draft all the while standing by EJ who could not demonstrate anything in his rookie year, then they deserve to be perpetually in the basement.

If EJ steps up and wins games, gets us to 8-8 or even 7-9, you stand by him.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated draft order after week 12 the Bills draft 10th

TEAMS

Houston ...QB?

Jacksonville ...QB?

Atlanta DE Jadeveon Clowney

Minnesota ...QB ?

St. Louis (WAS) LBer?

Tampa Bay OT?

Oakland QB?

Cleveland QB?

New York Giants LBer?

Buffalo LBer Khalil Mack ?

http://www.cbssports...t-order-week-12

Edited by FeartheLosing

I can't believe some of the early posters stating the clowns in the front office? Those clowns picked up Gilmore, Glenn, EJ (who I still believe will be solid in time), woods, Kiko, and Goodwin. We've had two very good drafts. I agree with this sentiment for the front offiice from previous decade, but not now.

If you guys can't see we are improving from the past, then I'm surprised. We will several of the next few games, and am confident we will improve next year. With another good draft and free agency with value players, we could definitely pick up a wildcard spot.

http://www.bucsnatio...first-for-a-day

I would normally see this as a bright spot in ANOTHER crap season, but we have the same clowns picking players so even that is a downer. I would say tank the rest of the season for the #3-4 pick, but what would it matter. These clowns will screw it up.

And you KNOW what is going to happen right? Manzel comes out and is #1 and there will still be 2-3 NFL ready type QB's (unlike EJ who had no business being picked in the first) and Buffalo will bypass them because they have EJ.

And why not? isn't that how it normally goes for the Bills fans?

Yeah, the Alonso, Goodwin and Woods picks were horrific, not to mention the UDFA contract they wasted on Robey or the FA's they signed like Lawson and Hughes. What a nightmare of an offseason they had. I wouldn't blame you if you decided to root for a different team. I don't think anyone around here would blame you after what you have been through. Go with our blessing.

I want the *best* Tight End in the draft. Otherwise would like to go with another Pass Rusher.

We need a guard. Desperately. No point in having two great RB's if they are going to get whacked just as they get the ball because a guard whiffed on an interior lineman. CJ and Fred have been hobbled all season because they are taking a beating due to the weaknesses on our line. Legursky needs to be replaced and we could use an upgrade on both Pears and Urbik or, at the very least, some depth. God help us if Cordy goes down.

http://www.bucsnatio...first-for-a-day

I would normally see this as a bright spot in ANOTHER crap season, but we have the same clowns picking players so even that is a downer. I would say tank the rest of the season for the #3-4 pick, but what would it matter. These clowns will screw it up.

And you KNOW what is going to happen right? Manzel comes out and is #1 and there will still be 2-3 NFL ready type QB's (unlike EJ who had no business being picked in the first) and Buffalo will bypass them because they have EJ.

And why not? isn't that how it normally goes for the Bills fans?

The Bills next 4 games are Atlanta (2-9) in Toronto. @Tampa (3-8) @Jacksonville (2-9), and Miami in Buffalo in December. Even the most pessimistic Bills fan has got to think they're going to come away with a winning record in those 4 games and a Top10 pick isn't going to happen given the log jamb of AFC teams with 4 and 5 wins so far this season.

The Bills are realistically heading for 8-8 and the 19th Pick in the draft. However, every true Bills fan should see 9-7 and a 6th seed in the playoffs as a real outcome given the way the season is going in the AFC. If you are too bitter and jaded and can't even catch a glimpse of that possibility, why are you here?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Mack, hands down. Since it gets cold in Buffalo, we could call him 'Chilly Mack". :w00t:

How about "Big Mack"?

I would love to see Mack as a Bill. I agree with there being no TE worth top 10 pick and I think him and Kiko would be amazing for years to come.

Plust the fact that he is a pass rusher as well is amazing.

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

From what I have seen of Mack he is very good but I get the feeling he is like that kid out of Wale Forrest a few years back.

Edit. Meant to ask am I right? Or am I just not seeing enough?

Edited by jboyst62

To the point of a TE. I feel like a broken record but historically speaking with statistical averages in mind, there is NO, absolutely NO, benefit to taking a TE in the 1st round, especially if the BILLS were to draft at 10!!!! There are VERY FEW TEs that have done as prognosticated who have been drafted in the 1st round. Vernon Davis (who took several years to truly develop into a consistent receiver I might add) and Tony Gonzalez. The list is rife with incredible TEs who have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds: Witten, Graham, Julius Thomas of Denver, Gates, and the list goes on. Gronk was in the 2nd but his homicidal cohort was a 4th round selection and talent and on-field production wasn't his problem. It behooves the BILLS to draft for the Offensive Line and/ or WR in the 1st and 2nd rounds, in either order they feel best based upon available talent and depth in the draft, and then draft a TE. Oh, and Jordan Cameron was also drafted in the 4th round, same year as Julius Thomas. It has taken 2 years for both TEs to "come out of nowhere" but that's most TEs and WRs. That's just the learning curve of the NFL at most positions. Deal with it, then get over it, and make a sandwich and relax. TEs are NOT worth a 1st round selection! Btw, the opposite tends to be true as well: Pettigrew, Eifert, Gresham, etc. don't make an immediate impact and often, get left behind in the NFL...reasoning for that is for another day and a longer post...despite this one being a bit long...

Edited by BigBuff423

This board would just bail on the new QB when he struggled 6 games into his rookie season.

Agreed. This year it's Johnny Football. One bad game it'll be Tommy Football next year, then Billy Football. Our expectations are ridiculous. We expect rookies to step on the field and be Tom Brady.

From what I have seen of Mack he is very good but I get the feeling he is like that kid out of Wale Forrest a few years back.

Edit. Meant to ask am I right? Or am I just not seeing enough?

I'm a big UB homer and even I admit I wonder if Mack looks better because he's playing MAC talent instead of SEC. But having said that he absolutely dominates, add it's not like MAC players don't get to the NFL.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

To the pont of a TE. I feel like a broken record but historically speaking with statistical averages in mind, there is NO, absolutely NO, benefit to taking a TE in the 1st round, especially if the BILLS were to draft at 10!!!! There are VERY FEW TEs that have done as prognosticated who have been drafted in the 1st round. Vernon Davis (who took several years to truly develop into a consistent receiver I might add) and Tony Gonzalez. The list is rife with incredible TEs who have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds: Witten, Graham, Julius Thomas of Denver, Gates, and the list goes on. Gronk was in the 2nd but his homicidal cohort was a 4th round selection and talent and on-field production wasn't his problem. It behooves the BILLS to draft for the Offensive Line and/ or WR in the 1st and 2nd rounds, in either order they feel best based upon available talent and depth in the draft, and then draft a TE. Oh, and Jordan Cameron was also drafted in the 4th round, same year as Julius Thomas. It has taken 2 years for both TEs to "come out of nowhere" but that's most TEs and WRs. That's just the learning curve of the NFL at most positions. Deal with it, then get over it, and make a sandwich and relax. TEs are NOT worth a 1st round selection! Btw, the opposite tends to be true as well: Pettigrew, Eifert, Gresham, etc. don't make an immediate impact and often, get left behind in the NFL...reasoning for that is for another day and a longer post...despite this one being a bit long...

This is very astute. I agree completely. Look for a TE in the 3rd there will be one. TEs are also great for Special Team play. A TE in teh NFL has to help block NFL quality Edge Rushers, Run Block with great technic against NFL quality LBs and DEs, run great routes, no when to block and no when they are the hot read. It is a very complicated position and as pointed out above having a great combine and being 1st round quality athlete doesn't mean you can do all of those things at a high level. It takes years to develop. Probably one of the most difficult positions to transition to the the NFL.

You're much better off finding a big freak edge rusher or a big freak offensive tackle or a big freak Defensive lineman that are 1.) hard to find body types and 2.) have a higher chance for an immediate impact.