A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order

Bill from NYC

Manuel today displayed the combined worst qualities of Losman and Edwards. His mechanics were terrible - his errant footwork and inaccurate throws reminded me of Losman. Meanwhile, he locked onto the check down receiver on most plays and couldn't wait to get the ball out of his hands, a la Edwards. It was one of the single worst quarterbacking displays I've ever witnessed and it has me questioning what I thought I had seen from him during the first month of the season.

Meanwhile the OC is a total joke. Taking Spiller off of the field after every good run? Refusing to find creative ways to get Spiller the ball in space? Once again abandoning the screen game? Wtf is with Hacket? Seriously, what's wrong with the guy?

I'll say it again: if Marrone is stubborn and tethers himself to Hacket, his NFL shelf life will be short. This has to stop.

The O-line did a decent job in the passing game. Manuel was flushed a couple times, ran into a sack, but for the most part he had a decent pocket. Still, Manuel couldn't wait to get the ball out of his hands. What a hapless effort by the QB & OC.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile the OC is a total joke. Taking Spiller off of the field after every good run? Refusing to find creative ways to get Spiller the ball in space? Once again abandoning the screen game? Wtf is with Hacket? Seriously, what's wrong with the guy? I'll say it again: if Marrone is stubborn and tethers himself to Hacket, his NFL shelf life will be short. This has to stop.

Be careful now, you're gonna have someone come here and say that "you don't know what you're talking about, they're professionals, they've studied the film, you're just a guy on the couch!" LOL

PS - Of course you are 100% correct.

Meanwhile the OC is a total joke. Taking Spiller off of the field after every good run? Refusing to find creative ways to get Spiller the ball in space? Once again abandoning the screen game? Wtf is with Hacket? Seriously, what's wrong with the guy?

Huh? Spiller had 8 runs for 23 yards with a long of 7. "every good run"? Please.

As someone who has watched Manuel play for a long time, this was not normal. Something was up and I'm not sure what. My guess is that he needed another week to get ready. If it helps, I don't expect to see something like this ever again. The man could get the ball downfield to some great FSU receivers. I expect he will rise to the level of this game. He's still better than the other two we have.

Oh yeah, FSU's problem wasn't offense while he was there. Their defense (secondary) was awful.

Edited by flmike

That is a good assessment, IMO. I think the checkdown tendency is exacerbated by his own realization that his downfield throws have been wildly inaccurate. I think if he can find a way to harness his mechanics in the offseason he has a wealth of physical ability. But that is easier said than done. He is not the most coordinated of big men.

I don't regret the pick, you have to take chances on QB's, but I also kind of figured he would be used a lot more in the run game based on how well the read option worked in the NFL last year. He's never going to be confused with a Manning or Brady from the pocket so I was hoping he would be able to keep the ball moving by running the ball. I still think he should be running the ball. If he gets injured, then so be it. But it will be very hard for him to succeed anytime soon if he can't run the ball, IMO. I think we saw a defense today that had zero concern for what Manuel can do, and I think the Manuel who would take off on designed runs at FSU was more dangerous than the inaccurate pocket passer he is now.

Excellent post.

I was at the game today and wanted to add my impressions:

EJ Manuel: I know he's just a rookie but he had little pocket awareness, little accuracy on his throws (even ones close to receivers weren't leading them), footwork was terrible (short armed many pass attempts) and really wasn't doing his progressions, mostly focused on one or two receivers. I know he's young, but schnikes, you'd like to see something, anything better out of your "franchise" quarterback. He needs to make astounding progress or we need to draft his replacement just in case.

Hackett called like the same 2 run plays and 2-3 pass plays the entire first half. Formations were slightly different but if that's all that Manuel could handle I would have preferred Lewis. He finally varied plays in the second half. Spiller missed some holes early being too intent to bounce it outside

Dareus needs to be a backup and considered a bust. He made some good plays but the rest of the time got eaten up. He can't get off a block and only seems effective when shooting gaps. He just doesn't go hard all the time. Kyle is good and worth starting but he got stood up today often also. We need an impact interior D-lineman and Dareus is not it. Talent is there but too inconsistent. Pittsburgh was just pounding our interior D backwards too much today.

Our special teams suck.

Overall just a lethargic and incredibly frustrating game to witness. So utterly disappointing. Same old Bills

I've read only the first page of this thread but put this loss is on the play calling. This is the first time I've ever criticized the coaching. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that the run happy Bills would try to run against the run defective Squealers. Timing is everything. The Squealers have a 76 year old defensive coordinator who is a HOFamer for sure who knows this and is going to come up with a scheme to negate it.. Play-Action passes from the very start would have taken the Squealers out of their defense and then allowed our rushing game a little later.

Can't blame the current group for the previous 13

It's an unpopular sentiment, but it depends on who one assigns blame to. Certain individuals at OBD and in Detroit have been around the entire time and cannot lose their positions no matter what the record or playoff-less streak is.

I've read only the first page of this thread but put this loss is on the play calling. This is the first time I've ever criticized the coaching. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that the run happy Bills would try to run against the run defective Squealers. Timing is everything. The Squealers have a 76 year old defensive coordinator who is a HOFamer for sure who knows this and is going to come up with a scheme to negate it.. Play-Action passes from the very start would have taken the Squealers out of their defense and then allowed our rushing game a little later.

It was a baffling game plan. I agree. I really am wondering why EJ isn't under center more?

Hackett has to go. I know he won't be going, but he has to.

He is probably gonna go, and he will take Marrone with him if he doesn't change his game planning against those 3-4 blitizing teams.

Here we go again folks, different day, same crap!! Hackett calling for 39 passes and only 20 runs. Although, I see why he stopped calling for runs when that O line could't make a hole in a wet paper bag.

What does it tell you about an OC who refuses to change the game plan each week. Hackett is like Gailey in thinking he has a top QB out there, instead of a rookie just off an injury.

Fear so. Hackett and Marrone just have not shown they can craft an effective game plan against this type of D.

I don't know. They moved the ball pretty effectively against LeBeau's protege when we played Cleveland. At least until EJ left the game and an unprepared Tuel came in.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't agree with the running game assessment. The Steelers did not stack the box. When the Bills spread them out there were only 6 defenders in the box and they still couldn't run the ball. the O-line did not move anyone today. Spiller is just not a very good RB. He is an outstanding athlete that can break a long one at any moment. However he can not move the pile, nor see the holes very well either. He is not polished in any way. And at this point in his career doubt he ever will be.

That is a good assessment, IMO. I think the checkdown tendency is exacerbated by his own realization that his downfield throws have been wildly inaccurate. I think if he can find a way to harness his mechanics in the offseason he has a wealth of physical ability. But that is easier said than done. He is not the most coordinated of big men.

I don't regret the pick, you have to take chances on QB's, but I also kind of figured he would be used a lot more in the run game based on how well the read option worked in the NFL last year. He's never going to be confused with a Manning or Brady from the pocket so I was hoping he would be able to keep the ball moving by running the ball. I still think he should be running the ball. If he gets injured, then so be it. But it will be very hard for him to succeed anytime soon if he can't run the ball, IMO. I think we saw a defense today that had zero concern for what Manuel can do, and I think the Manuel who would take off on designed runs at FSU was more dangerous than the inaccurate pocket passer he is now.

I fully agree that Manuel should run and have said this time and again. As a runner, he is instinctive like Fitz but much more talented. Why not use a great asset such as this? The good news is that he slid a couple of times.

8) I am not going to bash Gilmore today. We all saw what we saw. But I would like to hear from those who bash me, sing his almighty praise, and load up the excuse wagon week after week. Hey, what's up?

I will pick up the slack for you here - Gilmore is an average DB at best. Those people wishing him elite are simply not watching. He is no better than Leodis at the same point in his career...in fact, I would argue Leodis offered more with his return abilities....Another wasted high pick...