Bills Release Brad Smith from IR, Signs with Eagles

inb4 he's better then TJ Graham

And Jeff Tuel

I agree that Brad got a raw deal by fans here, becoming the scapegoat after Kelsay (who deserved it). Smith was overpaid for what he did, but there was never a commitment to using him. Like Chan Gailey was ever going to be innovative or gutsy in any way. He was a very good weapon in short yardage situations

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Jeff Tuel

I agree that Brad got a raw deal by fans here, becoming the scapegoat after Kelsay (who deserved it). Smith was overpaid for what he did, but there was never a commitment to using him. Like Chan Gailey was ever going to be innovative or gutsy in any way. He was a very good weapon in short yardage situations

how is that different then Graham? Or Tuel?

Tuel is an UDFA in his first year in the leauge. Who in the world would expect anything from him, let alone think he could perform to the level that he has thus far?

Graham holds resentment because he was drafted too early for many to find comfort and has not been as well as another WR taken later...TY Hilton.

Travis Benjamin

22 games, 23/403/2

Chris Givens

24 games, 68/1107/3

TY Hilton

23 games, 84/1394/12

Mohamed Sanu

18 games, 47/470/4

TJ Graham

24 games, 46/515/1

DeVier Posey - Houston

19 games, 15/189/0

Rueben Randle - NYG

24 games, 79/671/7

Ryan Broyles - Detroit

16 games, 30/395/2

Alshon Jeffrey - Chicago

18 games, 62/988/6

Stephen Hill - NYJ

20 games, 44/592/4

Brian Quick - STL

24 games, 22/382/3

AJ Jenkins - SF

12 games, 1/6/0

Kendall Wright - Ten

23 games, 107/1128/5

Michael Floyd - Ari

24 games, 79/995/4

Justin Blackmon - Jac

20 games, 93/1280/6

How many other WR taken before or after TJ are better? I'd rather have TJ then Blackmon, Jenkins, Quick, Broyles, Posey, or Benjamin.

Sanu is right there with him.

Givens and Hilton were much better values then Wright, Blackmon, Hill, Jeffrey, and Randle... but hey, TJ sucks.

I wonder how much money that will save us on the cap for next year & on his over all contract ?

Sexy Rexy will probably pick him up & put him back to work, never did really ilke the hire didn't ever see what Chan saw in his ability as a QB !!

So long, farewell good sir.

I can't bring myself to hate the man. He played hard when he was here, even in a system that was ultimately doomed to failure.

But in the end, would I give him a roster spot over Woods? Hell no. Goodwin. Hell f :censored: ing no. Hogan? No. Easley...no.

To be blunt, we've picked up new talent. Everything we might have used him for, we have someone better, and the things he's better at we no longer use. It's an issue of fit and I don't see paying all that much for someone who is realistically 4th WR on the depth chart (after Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin) and 4th on the QB chart (EJ, Lewis, Tuel)

It is not a bad decision at all. With that being said I think that he could have helped this team tremendously in short yardage. They really stink in short yardage and he was great at moving the chains.

The Bills have fixed their short yardage game under Marrone. They are now 8th in the NFL in 3rd and short. They stunk under Gailey, when Brad Smith was playing for them.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-notebook-team-shines-on-third-and-short-20131106

The Bills have fixed their short yardage game under Marrone. They are now 8th in the NFL in 3rd and short. They stunk under Gailey, when Brad Smith was playing for them.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-notebook-team-shines-on-third-and-short-20131106

I guess that I can't argue with numbers. There have been multiple times that I remember in short yardage (in big situations) where they haven't converted. The 1st year that BS was on the roster they converted with ease. For some reason they stopped using it late in that first year and at all in the 2nd year. He was a big guy that was hard to stop when he had momentum. He was not a big play guy and not worth the contract but did serve a role IMO.

I wonder how much money that will save us on the cap for next year & on his over all contract ?

Sexy Rexy will probably pick him up & put him back to work, never did really ilke the hire didn't ever see what Chan saw in his ability as a QB !!

I was never a proponent of the hire either. Brad Smith was a jack of all trades, master of none. Let's say you line a guy like that up at WR. The problem there is that he's taking the place of another, more capable WR. Same if you use him as a return man. The one position where his versatility is actually meaningful is at quarterback; because he's a threat to run or pass. But there are other players on the roster whose overall combination of running + passing ability makes them much more threatening at QB than Brad Smith.

That said, it's not Brad Smith's personal fault that his salary was several times higher than his worth as a player. If a given job normally paid $50,000 a year, and someone offered you $200,000 annually for that job, who here would demand to receive no more than the $50,000?

Edited by Edwards' Arm

im still disappointed they spent SO much time with him in the QB room. it just wasnt needed if only a handful of passes were going to be expected. somewhere the plan didnt meet execution and value/production ended up being the victim. i dont think hes a guy lacking talent as much as a player that was let down by his leadership and the situation

Agreed. Smith was either not who they thought he was or they just couldn't figure out a way to production out of him.

Either way the fault is not with the player.

He threw a couple of passes with both being intercepted.

Which is ironic because he holds several passing records at Missouri.

I've been a Brad Smith fan since the day the Bills signed him.

We needed a wildcat option, he was prepared.

We needed a backup WR (badly), he was prepared.

We needed an emergency QB, he was prepared.

He was durable, ready, willing, selfless and professional.

In my opinion, that made him worth every dime and I still consider it a good signing.

I hope he squeaks out a few more years and does well.

I'm sure some would relate to wanting to pursue and being hired for a job though a different one at the company might better fit your skills so your known to pitch in there when needed... And then because your a team player when a guy in another department leaves you are willing to carry some of the weight.... Then suddenly you are the worst case scenario guy instead of the high potential at a specialized task guy.... That's brad smith with the bills. He wanted to be a qb, was best suited for a handful of gadget running or screen plays and was a capable fill in at WR....but never got to excel at any of them despite having talent. He became known as the best option when all the options were bad instead of getting to find where his own ceiling was given a realistic assessment of his skills and an attempt to maximize those.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm thinking we should have kept him around and let him play some WR. He's better than TJ, Hulk Hogan, and Easley.

He's also good at taking the direct snap and taking it into the EZ on short and goal to go. We could certainly use that with our difficulty getting in.

Plus he's good at returning KOs for about half the games that Goodwin is out due to injury.

Oh well ...

Edited by reddogblitz