The Bills Have Hired a Director of Analytics

The Bills are already ahead of where they've been in this department. Whenever I hear Marrone speak, he's quoting percetanges and stats - it's clear he's a student of analytics and applies it to his coaching. And it's on both sides of the ball. Last week one of the announcers mentioned that Marrone told him that when Sproles is on the field, the Saints pass 80% of the time. You hear this type of thing from Marrone all of the time. He's light years ahead of previous Bills' coaches when it comes to analytics and it shows in their preparation each week. I'm happy about it.

As a result, Sproles was held to almost nothing, which, in turn, caused me to lose in fantasy football. Analytics at work!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which interview? I heard him on wgr this morning say that he wouldn't be involved in game planning or decisions. Unless it was meant as a supporting function and not actual "coaching".

I assume it is breaking down things like field position as it relates to punts or going for it on 4th. How much field position do you get or lose if you go for it? How many possessions per game, another teams propensity to run or pass in a situation, do you get an extra possession if you defer or take the ball to start.

Frankly its a job I would love

The Bills are already ahead of where they've been in this department. Whenever I hear Marrone speak, he's quoting percetanges and stats - it's clear he's a student of analytics and applies it to his coaching. And it's on both sides of the ball. Last week one of the announcers mentioned that Marrone told him that when Sproles is on the field, the Saints pass 80% of the time. You hear this type of thing from Marrone all of the time. He's light years ahead of previous Bills' coaches when it comes to analytics and it shows in their preparation each week. I'm happy about it.

I've noticed this too. You can bet guys like Belicheat and Peyton and John Fox are all aware of these types of percentages

I'm super excited. this is fantastic news and further proof that the bills really finally are different. It's not the same old bills anymore. Everything has a genuinely refreshing different feel to it and I'm excited.

I analyze numbers at work as a secondary function of my job. There certainly are trends, tendencies and percentages that can be used in football to come up with strategy, game planning and in game management.

I love this move.

This is going to take a while to get up and running. I wouldn't expect any real results until the end of next year. The technical side alone (databases, hardware, designing the cube and fact tables, defining measures, reporting platform, etc.) will take months. He'll need to assemble a team, too.

So don't expect immediate results. It is just the name of the game.

Good to hire someone to run the department. Surprised it didn't happen sooner given that the team president announced they would do it 10 months ago.

He commented on that in the interview saying that he probably shouldn't have said it when he did since it was so early in the process.

Like our own version of RAINMAN? Maye he could help out with point spreads?

I forgot the guy in the pats* organization that is their rainman numbers guy that no one really knows what he does but he's always with the hoodie. I think he was their rainman numbers guy/signal stealer during their spygate era

This stuff has been happening for years though. We used to get formations and get a percentage breakdown of pass to run.

While it's cool nerds get to be involved in sports, but I still think analytics are a bit overrated in football. The Jags have an analytics guy who decided that Blaine Gabbert was a pretty good QB last year. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9581177/new-jacksonville-jaguars-coach-gus-bradley-relies-analytics-espn-magazine In a sport where so much is based on emotion and is so physical, numbers only get you so far. But any additional information is good.

I forgot the guy in the pats* organization that is their rainman numbers guy that no one really knows what he does but he's always with the hoodie. I think he was their rainman numbers guy/signal stealer during their spygate era

ive seen him mentioned before and was always surprised he didnt get more media attention. i couldnt even tell you his name, but recall reading a passing article on their analytics department a few years ago and the guy that was, in theory, really changing the way teams were looking at the game.

This stuff has been happening for years though. We used to get formations and get a percentage breakdown of pass to run.

While it's cool nerds get to be involved in sports, but I still think analytics are a bit overrated in football. The Jags have an analytics guy who decided that Blaine Gabbert was a pretty good QB last year. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9581177/new-jacksonville-jaguars-coach-gus-bradley-relies-analytics-espn-magazine In a sport where so much is based on emotion and is so physical, numbers only get you so far. But any additional information is good.

as with anything, a big part will be how well the actual guys in place utilize it. for all we know this hire could flop terribly - but i still like that as a general heading of the ship we are stressing breaking down when our "gut feeling" is actually wrong.

I hear he's more of a systems analyst..

Yeah but you thought Cordy Glenn was a guard.

I heard this guy has great fast eye twitch, the ability to do 17689432167x43258679 in his head, and that he actually broke the Wonderlic assessment machine.