The Bills Have Hired a Director of Analytics

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that point and agree to an extent but at what point do we draw the line?

Great HC's are ones who make clutch decisions and have proven results.

I just dont want to end up with a coach who may rely more on analytics then gut calls.

CBF

Well, I do.

@buffalobills

#Bills have hired a Director of Analytics, per @RussBrandon

Bills Hire Analytics Man: Russ Brandon announced on WGR this morning that the team has hired Mike Lyons to be the director of the new analytics departments. He is a Western New York native with 20 years of analytics experience at Xerox. He will be involved in the football department and everything that has a probability factor along with dealing with salary cap issues.

xerox? knowing stats is one thing but not having football experience is a concern.

Per Brandon's interview, this role may include providing cards for Marrone to use on the sideline to help him make decisions in various game situations. Pretty cool.

my coach better know how to make decisions on his own. Too many chefs in the kitchen.

xerox? knowing stats is one thing but not having football experience is a concern.

You don't need a lick of "football experience" to chart how often NFL teams are successful running the ball on 3rd and one from inside the opponent's 20 yard line.

Stats are stats.

so why hire someone, just have a computer do it.

Also I thought they would be involved in draft as well.

because somebody has to set up the computer programs and design the tracking to get accurate data.

unless you have a "how to make football and business choices" app already.

the department will have hands on all kinds of football, and business decisions that can be tracked and analyzed.

Edited by NoSaint

my coach better know how to make decisions on his own. Too many chefs in the kitchen.

Its not about too many chefs per say, but giving your coach the most accurate information for him to make his decisions

Its not about too many chefs per say, but giving your coach the most accurate information for him to make his decisions

when i want a perfect meal, i prefer my chef be handed a basket of random ingredients like on chopped and know nothing about me. who needs recipes or knowledge of who they are cooking for.

Actually, the department of analytics just determined that hitting F5 is actually less efficient at refreshing the browser than using the mouse to hit the semi-circle at the top of the page.

There's a chart that depicts the relative refresh speeds of hitting F5 vs. using the mouse based upon screen size and location of the mouse pointer when the decision to refresh is reached.