Last Time We Played the Saints

C.Biscuit97

Obviously, Jauron had many weaknesses but every once in a while, he could draw up a great defensive gameplan. I remember we hung with Peyton on the road tough. Well last time we played the Saints, http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200909270buf.htm , it was a 10-7 game until the Saints scored 17 points in the 4th to finish us. My takeaways:

1) It's impossible to completely stop Brees. However, he seems to struggle a bit with Cover 2. This would be especially true if Graham wasn't playing because TEs down the seams is how you break a cover 2.

2) Run the ball and control the clock. It's pretty obvious but there should be no no huddle. It's boring but 3 runs and a punt isn't the worst thing in the world against a team like NO. Also, you need to take your shots with play actions downfield. Vaccaro is a rookie S and very aggressive. He can be beat deep.

3) Dare them to run the ball. Seriously, we should play nickel and dime all game. What NE does great is take away your strengths. Brees is their strength. The more they run, the less he passes. And the more time goes off the clock.

Just a few thoughts to watch for Sunday. Any other ideas?

Just like Brady, the key to taking Brees off his came is to get in his face. Keep the pressure coming all day long to disrupt his timing. I agree, make them try and run the ball as well. Also agree with using the nickel and dime most of the time. Tough offense to stop and a good test for this defense.

Just like Brady, the key to taking Brees off his came is to get in his face. Keep the pressure coming all day long to disrupt his timing. I agree, make them try and run the ball as well. Also agree with using the nickel and dime most of the time. Tough offense to stop and a good test for this defense.

this game almost 100% relies on mario beating the tackle consistently, and dareus/williams not allowing brees to step up.

they invest heavily in guards to allow drew to climb the pocket and see the field still. the middle holds firm and is disciplined in their rush and the edge can beat their not good tackles.... thats when you see new orleans put up less than 20 points.

this game almost 100% relies on mario beating the tackle consistently, and dareus/williams not allowing brees to step up.

they invest heavily in guards to allow drew to climb the pocket and see the field still. the middle holds firm and is disciplined in their rush and the edge can beat their not good tackles.... thats when you see new orleans put up less than 20 points.

Yep.

You have got to block his lanes. Dareus and Williams need to be moving thos guards around and causing Brees to constantly have to look down and then back up.

I remember a game in the Ralph when the Saints with Gus Ferotte at QB beat the Bills in a really nasty weather game. I remember Gus name because his brother played for the Bills (Mitch Ferotte) Can't place the year though, perhaps 80's, anyhow, I was there, frozen and disappointed.

Drew Brees did not throw a td pass in that game, but Brian Moorman threw a td pass to Ryan Denney on a fake field goal.

brees then went on to set the nfl record for consecutive games over the next 3 seasons. its a nice little tidbit that we are one of the bookends for the record.

Obviously, Jauron had many weaknesses but every once in a while, he could draw up a great defensive gameplan. I remember we hung with Peyton on the road tough. Well last time we played the Saints, http://www.pro-footb...00909270buf.htm , it was a 10-7 game until the Saints scored 17 points in the 4th to finish us. My takeaways:

1) It's impossible to completely stop Brees. However, he seems to struggle a bit with Cover 2. This would be especially true if Graham wasn't playing because TEs down the seams is how you break a cover 2.

2) Run the ball and control the clock. It's pretty obvious but there should be no no huddle. It's boring but 3 runs and a punt isn't the worst thing in the world against a team like NO. Also, you need to take your shots with play actions downfield. Vaccaro is a rookie S and very aggressive. He can be beat deep.

3) Dare them to run the ball. Seriously, we should play nickel and dime all game. What NE does great is take away your strengths. Brees is their strength. The more they run, the less he passes. And the more time goes off the clock.

I never say stuff like this, but yeah, this is actually a pretty good post. I think the bottom line is that you have to try and lure them into an ugly game because you're not beating them in a shootout. And you're right, Jauron succeeded in doing that against an Indy team in their prime on the road. They didn't win, but they weren't winning it any other way. It was an excellent game plan. The problem with Jauron is that he had that same game plan in every game, even if our opponent wasn't that good. But yeah, if we can keep the game in the 20's, I suppose we have a chance in hell.

I remember a game in the Ralph when the Saints with Gus Ferotte at QB beat the Bills in a really nasty weather game. I remember Gus name because his brother played for the Bills (Mitch Ferotte) Can't place the year though, perhaps 80's, anyhow, I was there, frozen and disappointed.

'89

I thought this was going to be about McGees return.

That was the last away game against the saints but may have been in Houston.

Would have gone down as the greatest return in NFL history if he only got in the end zone.

San Antonio, actually. I was there...

Obviously, Jauron had many weaknesses but every once in a while, he could draw up a great defensive gameplan. I remember we hung with Peyton on the road tough. Well last time we played the Saints, http://www.pro-footb...00909270buf.htm , it was a 10-7 game until the Saints scored 17 points in the 4th to finish us. My takeaways:

your number 1 point might be a bit of an issue because pettine's defence is not cover 2. he is a very arrogant man and he will bring pressure. your 2nd point is a must just against every elite QB. and I especially agree with your 3rd point, I would dare NO to run the ball. they love to pass, so take away their strength

I worry about NO's running game, especially if Pettine focuses on shutting down the passing game.

its really not been working for them this year. i suspect aaron kromer, the run game coordinator, taking the OC job in chicago (a guy i thought marrone might consider here even) has hurt them some. i think they could be effective, but if its their run game doing the damage, we will be in the game atleast.

Drew Brees did not throw a td pass in that game, but Brian Moorman threw a td pass to Ryan Denney on a fake field goal.

Moorman > Brees

I worry about NO's running game, especially if Pettine focuses on shutting down the passing game.

As NoSaint said, they aren't running well at all. They are 25th in rushing and average 3.4 ypc. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

I despise NE but I love how they take away a team's best weapons. Personally, I'd take my chances of Pierre Thomas beating us than Brees.

your number 1 point might be a bit of an issue because pettine's defence is not cover 2. he is a very arrogant man and he will bring pressure. your 2nd point is a must just against every elite QB. and I especially agree with your 3rd point, I would dare NO to run the ball. they love to pass, so take away their strength

I get you play to your strengths. But a great coach finds something that could be a nice wrinkle and adjusts. Still blitz but switch in a cover 2 look.

Moorman > Brees

As NoSaint said, they aren't running well at all. They are 25th in rushing and average 3.4 ypc. http://espn.go.com/n.../_/stat/rushing

I despise NE but I love how they take away a team's best weapons. Personally, I'd take my chances of Pierre Thomas beating us than Brees.

I get you play to your strengths. But a great coach finds something that could be a nice wrinkle and adjusts. Still blitz but switch in a cover 2 look.

ya I agree with you, I hope they mix in some cover 2 looks but I don't think pettine will. we'll see soon enough I guess