Coach of the Year (first half)

jumbalaya

My two leading candidates for coach of the year (for the first half of the season).

2. Andy Reid, obviously. But he did have a roster loaded with Pro Bowl players, just needed a viable QB.

1. Rex Ryan. Rex has done more, with less, than any coach, and when you consider an unbelievable tumultuous pre-season environment, it's pretty amazing what he has accomplished. No Revis, benching Sanchez, and the NY media.

My two leading candidates for coach of the year (for the first half of the season).

2. Andy Reid, obviously. But he did have a roster loaded with Pro Bowl players, just needed a viable QB.

1. Rex Ryan. Rex has done more, with less, than any coach, and when you consider an unbelievable tumultuous pre-season environment, it's pretty amazing what he has accomplished. No Revis, benching Sanchez, and the NY media.

1. Reid. That team was an underachieving joke, and he turned their mentality around.

2. Sean Peyton . Has a coach ever looked more valuable to his team?We saw what they were with, without, then with again. The guy is good.

Rex has done a nice job, but he has an excellent defense to work with. That will keep you in a lot of games. Not sure why so many discredit the Jets roster, I'd take it. That team is tougher than ours. Good job so far for sure, but behind my first two.

Ryan has an unreal defense. Those guys are stacked on that side of the ball.

I'm still not sold on the chiefs as the only team worth a damn they have beaten is the cowboys but none the less the job Reid has done has been impressive

My vote goes to Chuck Pagano. That team really could have slid after last season but they are really solid all around and a serious force to be reckoned with.

Honorable Mention to Marrone. To have this team prepared to play each week when it was difficulty to field a healthy 46 has left me impressed with the coaching staff. A game out of 500 with the injuries weve had is impressive

HC: Andy Reid. There is no close second. Because unlike the Colts when they went 1-15 on purpose, the Chiefs tried their best to win every game last year.

OC: Peyton Manning

DC: Mike Pettine. Done more with less . . . .

Edited by maddenboy

Not a fan, but I think it has to be Rex Ryan.

People forget, his Jets team was being mentioned, in the off-season as possibly one of the two or three worst teams in the league. The guy can't help but stick his foot in his mouth every two or three days (somebody else's the other day?) and the NY/national media seemed to really take a lot of glee in pouring it on, when it seemed that he, and the Jets were crashing and burning.

I recall, before the first game of the season, one of the ESPN talking points for a day or two was "how long before Rex gets canned?" He had a QB controversy to deal with, and a rookie QB that everyone was expecting/wanting to see fail, and, at the same time trying to stay loyal to his vet QB....

there is a a long way to go, and the Jets are "only" 4-3...and yeah, Gino still has some kinks to work out... his defense, which was supposed to be tapped last year, is again, among the leagues better defensive squads. And, of course, we all remember when it looked like he was losing his mind, in a "meltdown" (the media called it) at a post-game press conference.

I am no Jets fan...but I think you gotta give him his props. I am respecting him as a HC more than ever.

1. Reid. That team was an underachieving joke, and he turned their mentality around.

2. Sean Peyton . Has a coach ever looked more valuable to his team?We saw what they were with, without, then with again. The guy is good.

Rex has done a nice job, but he has an excellent defense to work with. That will keep you in a lot of games. Not sure why so many discredit the Jets roster, I'd take it. That team is tougher than ours. Good job so far for sure, but behind my first two.

+1

Easy to be coach of the year when you have a stud QB.

Yes that or having a team that massively underachieved the previous year are the easiest ways to win it; which is kinda why the award is a joke.

I think Ryan deserves the props he's getting here for all the reasons mentioned. Although they are two very lucky plays from 2-5.

I think Jim Harbaugh is probably the best gameday coach and they've had a lot of injuries too - Crabtree was a major loss given what a beast he was at the end of last yr. His team is almost in the "Bellichick, team is too established" category to ever actually win it though.

Easy to be coach of the year when you have a stud QB.

So what if the Colts have a stud QB? Does that diminish the job of a head coach?

Did you think the Colts could beat the Broncos, 49'ers & Seahawks? I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts were underdogs in all three of those games.

This and no, I will not even give that toe-sucking, horse toothed troll in NJ an honorable mention. (Although he deserves it :P)

Why does Ryan deserve any mention at all? For beating an injury-riddled Falcons team? For splitting the series with the Patriots?

Ok Geno Smith is playing better than many people expected.

This is still the same Jets team that beat the Buccaneers on a bone headed play by the Bucs LB, and the same Jets team that in Week 6 lost to the winless Steelers at HOME, and also did not score a touchdown in that game.

Forget it! Rex Ryan does not deserve to be in this conversation.

This is still the same Jets team that beat the Buccaneers on a bone headed play by the Bucs LB

This is why I thought it was so funny that after the Jets game they asked Rex what he thought about the penalty call. He said it was about time his team got a break. LOL

My vote is for Any Reid.

For me, so far, it would go:

1) Reid (to me, he's been underrated for years because of no SBs and questionable in-game management, but overall he is a great coach)

2) Pagano (didn't know much about him until last year, but have really been impressed with him)

3) Ryan (I think very highly of him - people need to see past the bluster. I don't think the Jets have been as talented as people have made out over the last several years. He gets them to consistently play above their individual talent level.)

4) Payton (Last year was a great infomercial for his abilities.)

5) Marrone (We are fesity. We are interesting. Despite being young and wickedly injured, the Bills are fun to watch again. I give him a lot of credit and have hope for the future (even though he produces some of the most tortured sentences ever known to man.))

I'd also give Belichick, Lewis, Carroll, and Chud some props.

But things change, so we'll see who can keep it going and who can't.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench