Is now the time to trade Byrd?

billsgpr88

The OP is not far off. You get value when someone gets desperate. If there is a contender (ie Denver as mentioned above) that may be 1 piece short would they be willing to deal the 32 pick? It's not ridiculous to think. We have a special value on draft picks because we have been bad forever and our pick is always top 12. Denver is competing for a title with a short window. A pro bowl safety may put them over the top.

Byrd needs to have a "breakout game" before we can get some value for him. So far he hasn't done much. Maybe like the other poster said, someone in the playoff hunt will get desperate. But until then I don't think there is anyone calling us for Byrd's services knowing that he's going to want a huge contract next year so they might very well only be renting him for the rest of this year

Edited by kdiggz

Byrd needs to have a "breakout game" before we can get some value for him. So far he hasn't done much. Maybe like the other poster said, someone in the playoff hunt will get desperate. But until then I don't think there is anyone calling us for Byrd's services knowing that he's going to want a huge contract next year so they might very well only be renting him for the rest of this year

8 days to get desperate... Let's hope RGIII can show them that this week!

Tyrd is toxic.

after his antics, I don't see another team wanting him as a rental for this season and/or willing to pay him $9 mil a year next season.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/10/20/byrd-aaron-talked-pre-snap-on-aarons-int/

Yeah its almost like he wants us to lose but keeps helping us at the same time.

Get off your crusade. He's a Bill and has done nothing since he declared himself healthy to suggest hes a malcontent. In fact he looks grateful and happy to be playing again

Does anyone else find it odd, that we haven't heard a peep about his foot injury since he started playing again? Is it a Festivus miracle?

thats possible, or he may have waited until actually healthy like he said instead of playing through a flare up.

if we get great value, pull the trigger - but more realistically hopefully the feelings are getting a bit more positive between the staff and he with him in the building, working with everyone etc....

thats possible, or he may have waited until actually healthy like he said instead of playing through a flare up.

if we get great value, pull the trigger - but more realistically hopefully the feelings are getting a bit more positive between the staff and he with him in the building, working with everyone etc....

I really hope so. Even if he does play his ass off this year, gets along great with everyone in the locker room, loves the coaches... I still see no chance of him considering a contract here, UNLESS Whaley breaks down and pays him top safety, stupid Troy Polamalu money. And that's not going to happen. If we don't trade my money is he doesn't even negotiate with Bills, goes right to FA market. Doubt we would tag him again.

I don't think Denver is going to trade a high pick for Byrd. They found a gem at S in UDFA Duke Eat-a-nacho and have Mike Adams behind him, who they like quite a bit. They also have Quinton Carter on IR, but they like him long-term as well.

I think we need to face the idea that getting a high pick for Byrd during the season is very unlikely. I could be wrong though...

I really hope so. Even if he does play his ass off this year, gets along great with everyone in the locker room, loves the coaches... I still see no chance of him considering a contract here, UNLESS Whaley breaks down and pays him top safety, stupid Troy Polamalu money. And that's not going to happen. If we don't trade my money is he doesn't even negotiate with Bills, goes right to FA market. Doubt we would tag him again.

we have no reason not to tag him. in fact, after a year in the defense, even if he holds out for camp again the transition would likely be pretty seamless by comparison.

Don't mean to exhaust the topic, but with the Broncos in need of DBs (Bailey reinjured his foot yesterday) and the pass defense being their glaring weakness (last in the NFL), the Bills could possibly get a second , or even first rounder. Any thoughts?

Wny this is being discussed yet again, I do not know. NFL rules prevent ANY team from negotiating a long term deal with Byrd this season. That would make him effectively a rental as he could walk from any situation next spring as a UFA. This makes him untradeable as no team will offer more than a token 6th or 7th rounder at best for a couple months of service. Only way to get any value for JB is wait until spring, maybe a sign-and trade type deal could happen then, but still only for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Teams don't trade high picks for safeties.

I think he is a good player but not for the kind of money he is asking. We wont get much for him if anything in a trade.

I watched a bit of KC yesterday and I feel Byrd isn't even close to being the player Berry is. He is not deserving of the money he seeks. The Bills were more than generous with their offer to Byrd.